iTero Implant work flow

user name

user name

Reaction score
I know nothing.
What is the work flow for an implant using iTero?
Does the model have soft tissue?
Implant analog is in the model?
Is the Dr providing info to iTero or is that lab stuff to do?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I know nothing.
Ok Sargent Schultz,
With 3i Encode the scans go to encode empowered lab, they design abutment.
Model arrives with abutment as the die.
At this point you can DL the model files for import into CAD.

I know Straumann repositionable analogs are available for iTero models or they used to be.

And now you know a little more, but not the rest of the whole story.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
To add:

The Dr sends the file to iTero, they look at it, then send it to you. You "find" the socket, which is clicking one button, and send it back to iTero for the model. You can grab the files to make your own abutment and maybe print the models too. I let iTero make the models. It can take 24 hours or more from the Dr's scan for it to get to your lab.

There's no soft tissue. I make a matrix with putty when the model comes back.

Straumann does make repositionable analogs.

If it's not a straumann product, it's a right pain in the ass to deal with. It was a while ago, but I was forced into using Glidewell for a tri-lobe (replace select),which was a nightmare. This may have changed since I've last used iTero for non-straumann implant.

iTero does have decent customer support. I use them so infrequently that I end up calling them to make sure I did everything correctly.

user name

user name

Reaction score
To add:
Straumann does make repositionable analogs.

I dont understand. The model doesnt have the analog in it?
If/then...purchase repositional analogs from Straumann and they snap in?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I know nothing.
Hey User,

From what I remember (which isn’t much anymore),the implant workflow through Itero is dependent on which manufacturer’s scan body the doctor scanned In the mouth. If he scanned a Straumann, then you have to use that workflow. If he scanned an Atlantis, then you have use that workflow, if 3I then you have to go through Zimmer/Biomet and so on.

With Straumann, you have to purchase the repositional analog. Itero will mill a model with the appropriate socket for it and you will use your Straumann analog to fit in the socket. I never liked this workflow and always tried to get my accounts to use the Atlantis scan bodies. Their workflow is quick and accurate....and you don’t have to buy those reposition al analogs.

And I really disliked the over-rated and very expensive 3I/Encode workflow.

Hope this helps!

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I dont understand. The model doesnt have the analog in it?
If/then...purchase repositional analogs from Straumann and they snap in?
No you have to purchase a repostional analog from straumann. They also don't snap in to place. You push them into place until they bottom out. You also don't get a tissue cast from itero either. Best way to get a tissue cast is to export and design the model yourself. I have a couple of videos about it on my channel if you want to check it out. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help. I do straumann implant cases pretty regularly with itero scans

user name

user name

Reaction score
Hey User,

From what I remember (which isn’t much anymore),the implant workflow through Itero is dependent on which manufacturer’s scan body the doctor scanned In the mouth. If he scanned a Straumann, then you have to use that workflow. If he scanned an Atlantis, then you have use that workflow, if 3I then you have to go through Zimmer/Biomet and so on.

With Straumann, you have to purchase the repositional analog. Itero will mill a model with the appropriate socket for it and you will use your Straumann analog to fit in the socket. I never liked this workflow and always tried to get my accounts to use the Atlantis scan bodies. Their workflow is quick and accurate....and you don’t have to buy those reposition al analogs.

And I really disliked the over-rated and very expensive 3I/Encode workflow.

Hope this helps!
Does iTero know what scan body was used just by looking at the scan? They are able to mill a socket that accepts the mfrg's implant analog from various companies? Im not understanding what you mean by following work flow based on the brand.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Does iTero know what scan body was used just by looking at the scan? They are able to mill a socket that accepts the mfrg's implant analog from various companies? Im not understanding what you mean by following work flow based on the brand.
They do the socket for straumann, but I'm not sure about other implant companies

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the doc has to enter the info regarding which manufacturer he is using on his end prior to scanning. When the lab receives the case in lab review from Itero, it will tell you which implant company and the platform size used.
As far as I know, Straumann is the only vendor that Itero mills the model with a socket for the repo analog to be seated in.
The models they mill for most other implant companies contain a milled die which duplicates the abutment. Ive found that insertion of the milled die into the model is much easier than with the repo analog.

Atlantis seems to have more scan bodies for all the different companies out there. Even so, sometimes the doctor is insistent on using the original or authentic abutments.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
iTero and Encode are two systems that I dread. We don't get many of either, thankfully.

DESS-USA

DESS-USA

Reaction score
DESS Scan bodies are in the itero library and you can choose them and we have DIM analogs (we make one analog that can be used for both stone and printed models) and they could produce the model and you can place our analog. We have this for Straumann, Nobel, 3i, Astra, Zimmer, Hiossen, Megagen, Ankylos, BioHorizons, MIS, and many more systems. Any questions contact us at [email protected], call us at 855 337 7872 or visit us at www.dess-usa.com

K

K M

Reaction score
I have 3shape with the design software- If one of my Drs gets an iTero in office scanner is it very difficult to receive STL files to design and make the restorations from the scans?

Z

ztech

Reaction score
DESS Scan bodies are in the itero library and you can choose them and we have DIM analogs (we make one analog that can be used for both stone and printed models) and they could produce the model and you can place our analog. We have this for Straumann, Nobel, 3i, Astra, Zimmer, Hiossen, Megagen, Ankylos, BioHorizons, MIS, and many more systems. Any questions contact us at [email protected], call us at 855 337 7872 or visit us at www.dess-usa.com
So you are saying that if the Dr. uses your scan body when I get the file to approve, I will be able to mark and calculate the position for itero to mill a usable model from this. Then all I have to do is get the appropriate Dim analog and place with the appropriate abutment and I can stay in the itero workflow. They do not tell you this when you call their support.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I have 3shape with the design software- If one of my Drs gets an iTero in office scanner is it very difficult to receive STL files to design and make the restorations from the scans?
TO receive files is easy if you get the right itero package. The lowest level package will only get you a milled model from itero. The middle Tier you can get the STL but it will cost $5 each file and if you only do a few a month this is a good option. I have the top tier and since I do 20-30 per week, the savings in files alone payed for the upgrade in less than 10 weeks. You also pay less for models and shipping so my payoff was just over 6 weeks.