Is this thing any good?

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Is this furnace any good? I was cleaning out storage today and found this thing tucked in the back under a bunch of stuff. I plugged it in and it has power. The coils started to heat.

If possible I would like to use this for stain and glazing.

What kind of vacuum pump do I need to make it work correctly?

How do you program it?

Is there any way to calibrate the temp to make sure it's firing at correct temp?

Would you recommend replacing any parts or pieces?

I don't know how old this is or how many hrs it's been used. I found it with a bunch of "junk" and want to see if I could put it to use. I only want to use it for staining and glazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
IMG_1126.JPG

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I threw one away a few months ago, not sure if I've still got the owners manual or not. We used Ney super-vac pumps, I threw those away too.

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
It has 10 programs. I think you just enter a program number, then a value followed by enter for each step to program it. Probably from 1985 or so. I don't think you'll be able to replace much unless you buy one for parts on eBay.
Just power it up and let it sit for awhile at idle temp, then fool around programming it.
There are a bunch of Ney Super-Vac pumps on eBay, but maybe someone here has one to sell you?

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
We used silver wires on a special firing peg to calibrate them. The way the tip of the silver melts is the indicator.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
This is what we used to calibrate them .

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
I threw one away a few months ago, not sure if I've still got the owners manual or not. We used Ney super-vac pumps, I threw those away too.

Why did you end up tossing them?

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
It has 10 programs. I think you just enter a program number, then a value followed by enter for each step to program it. Probably from 1985 or so. I don't think you'll be able to replace much unless you buy one for parts on eBay.
Just power it up and let it sit for awhile at idle temp, then fool around programming it.
There are a bunch of Ney Super-Vac pumps on eBay, but maybe someone here has one to sell you?

I'm going to play with it tomorrow and let it sit for a little bit while turned on and see what happens. Hopefully no flames. It's been sitting a while

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Why did you end up tossing them?

I'm a one-man show and I've got 2 spare Ivoclar Programat furnaces, I just didn't need to have it kicking around.