Is there a milling center that doesn't suck?

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So when I was in L.A. I was solely running a milling center. Just me, 3shape, Sum3D, and my ImesIcore 340i.
I never would have let things go out the door looking the way I receive them.

We don't mill our large cases on our MCXL, that would be stupid. Or would it? Cause were shopping around and I just got back this 6 unit 1 pontic anterior bridge from a milling center upstate I was referred to.

Upon first glace I can see rough chippy margins on my 5 abutments. ug
I look at the model and its still got pink marker spray on it and a die is broke and glued back together.
And the framework is high in occlusion.
It also rocks. and is full of sharps.
So what did we pay $70 a ZIRC unit for?

In L.A. we were charging $35 a unit and compared to what I've seen from other labs, we should have charged $100.00

Also at $70 a unit, I would expect the framework to be cleaned up and pristine. Not full of bur marks and GOUGES. Just a light surfacing, is that too much to ask for? A framework with proper margins that aren't flaky, rough, chipped, and over extended? A clean model in return...

Oh and I provided them with a SWEET solid model with pink tissue and they didn't bother seating it. Cause if they did they would see some crappier margins than were on the working model.

So do I sound like a nagging dental tech? Trust me, if you paid $70 a unit for this Zirc framework that is in my hand, you too would say, WTF?

Anyway...

FANCY PANTS NYC LAB SEEKS NEIGHBORING MILLING CENTER WITH CARISMA...

Anyone in the NYC area or outlying states want to give it a try? I know its possible, I've produced some mighty fine and pristine framework in my time.

I am not hard to please I swear, I just like honest work.

And when I send you a case, more often than not, I tell you, "Please take all the time you need to build very nice framework, no rush at all."

NO DUE DATE! :)

Just in case I get 10 replies, know I wont send you but a single case if you cant build sweet framework. And if you claim and don't deliver, I look stupid, so spare me. :)

Last edited:
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Im not a milling center, but I'd be willing to give it a shot for you. Milling on a CNC500 unit using 3m/Jensen products, located in RI. First case on me for evaluation.
Ryan

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
How about giving us a try Marcus? I charge $45 a unit for a framework from a model. We design all of our frameworks on 3Shape and use the anatomical library so you have nice anatomical support everywhere needed.

Here is a framework I just took a quick pic of with my phone.

ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0617_zps5f635a2d.jpg

Last edited:
actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
I have had several LAVA frameworks milled by ***, they were great!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
How about giving us a try Marcus? I charge $45 a unit for a framework from a model. We design all of our frameworks on 3Shape and use the anatomical library so you have nice anatomical support everywhere needed.

Here is a framework I just took a quick pic of with my phone.

Lol, I always build things anatomical and my ceramist hates it. She wants to build on the most basic framework.

user name

user name

Reaction score
*** did some nice LAVA for me; Compartis is doing lots of nice mills for me too.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Marcus, you design and scan with inLab right? Why not scan, design and send off the file(in stl format) to a milling center. This would cut down on improper margin selection, and design. The only thing the milling center needs to make sure on their end is chipped margins.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I've sent work to Lab Solutions, CMC, Diadem, and Colonial Dental. Parkway blows them all away in every aspect.

corona

corona

Reaction score
connector sizes look a little thin ? whats the minimal size you make them parkway? nice framework support design. corona

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
connector sizes look a little thin ? whats the minimal size you make them parkway? nice framework support design. corona

Exactly what I was thinking, somehow thin connections, but good anatomical support,

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
- We accept Sirona files to mill.
- We work until 9:00PM if necessary to get everything out the door on time.
- Files sent before 10:00am would go out same day.
- 5:30 am, and I am at work already. We bust it out like no other.

$29/unit for FCZ.
$2.95/unit for 3d printing.
$49 Titanium abutment
$399 for Ti bar

I would ask you to pick One model to have us work on. Not Two or Three.
I think most milling centers would agree with this for many reasons.

Everyone in my city uses us, including all Sirona owners. LOL

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
note: We are human, and make mistakes! You are welcome to post everything we do on this site. It is only fair.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
- We accept Sirona files to mill.
- We work until 9:00PM if necessary to get everything out the door on time.
- Files sent before 10:00am would go out same day.
- 5:30 am, and I am at work already. We bust it out like no other.

$29/unit for FCZ.
$2.95/unit for 3d printing.
$49 Titanium abutment
$399 for Ti bar

I would ask you to pick One model to have us work on. Not Two or Three.
I think most milling centers would agree with this for many reasons.

Everyone in my city uses us, including all Sirona owners. LOL

Im not sure if the exported wire mesh model is as detailed as much as other designers when using inlab. I forget the proper term for the points that make up the wire mesh of a CAM but I'll call em pixels and am thinking by the looks of things, inlab exports low resolution files... I would only be outsourcing large bridges and think excluding sirona from the picture would be a premium option.

Well see what the boss wants to do with his next large zirconia framework and I'll keep you guys in mind.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score

We design them with 9mm squared on anteriors and 12mm squared for posteriors. The pic above is off a sample model we made so everything is nice and petite looking.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Im sending this one case Im complaining about back, and the guy was nice and says he'll se what he can do...

The problem is, he was a referral from another tech. So he made this tech look dumb. :)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Im not sure if the exported wire mesh model is as detailed as much as other designers when using inlab. I forget the proper term for the points that make up the wire mesh of a CAM but I'll call em pixels and am thinking by the looks of things, inlab exports low resolution files... I would only be outsourcing large bridges and think excluding sirona from the picture would be a premium option.

Well see what the boss wants to do with his next large zirconia framework and I'll keep you guys in mind.

- Sirona Blue Cam is actually pretty decent scan data.

- All of your files are stl. (Triangulated from a Point cloud of scan data)
Wire frame is an option for rendering (viewing) almost any 3d file. Other options are Solid surface, only the Points, Triangles, etc...the file is still the same data, but only the rendering has changed. Does this make any sense? I am not too sure what you were trying to say in the above.

Scott

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
- Sirona Blue Cam is actually pretty decent scan data.

- All of your files are stl. (Triangulated from a Point cloud of scan data)
Wire frame is an option for rendering (viewing) almost any 3d file. Other options are Solid surface, only the Points, Triangles, etc...the file is still the same data, but only the rendering has changed. Does this make any sense? I am not too sure what you were trying to say in the above.

Scott

I remember adjusting .stl's from binary to acii or something and they would become suqared and sharp after losing a lot of info.
And the renders in 3 shape always looked smoother than inlab. Im sure a lot has to do with the capabilities of the milling unit and strategies involved.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
hmmmmm.....??? :confused:

I doubt the strategies have anything to do with rendering.

Not too sure what you are saying still, sorry.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Well imagine a CAM rendered into a wire mesh. Visualize one wire mesh coping made of 50 horizontal and 50 vertical lines. And another with twice as many horizontal and vertical lines. One would end up milling with smooth contours on the 340i and the other converted to a smaller file size which showed less wire mesh, would mill with a much rougher surface as if someone decreased the step. But not to mill what looks like a topography map but both horizontal and vertical topography... in other words the surface of the coping looked like the surface of a golf ball.

So considering sirona and inlabs lower par, I would imagine sending out a model instead of emailing stl's exported from inlab, would be a better option.

Top Bottom