Inventions

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
What do you think a tool would be worth that would automatically line up access holes for fixed hybrids to allow drilling through denture teeth and processed acrylic. I am contemplating if there is a NEED for this or if its just my brain working again.

I have a prototype that I use in my lab that is now going through the patent process. I am just protecting the concept not really sure I will market the tool but its the only thing like it out there right now that I know of. I assume there are guys like me that hate this part of the job.

I was just completely frustrated trying to find a way to process these units with holes already drilled. My tool allows me to do it after the case is processed. I like the holes to be as small as virtually possible and this tool does that.

Give me your thoughts,

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Sort of like a reverse denture pindex with an appropriate analog as the pin-set guide and the drill bit to match the screw channel. I like the idea and how precise it would make the restoration look !

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
You do not want to use a drill bit to open up the holes, you can damage the implant bar post. I have a technique that works very well using a modified burr, and a waxing technique as well for processing. Creates a very clean hole.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
apply for a provisional patent, its cheap, fast, and good for a year. Then work the **** out of the idea to see if it has legs. If not, no harm, no foul..

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
What do you think a tool would be worth that would automatically line up access holes for fixed hybrids to allow drilling through denture teeth and processed acrylic. I am contemplating if there is a NEED for this or if its just my brain working again.

I have a prototype that I use in my lab that is now going through the patent process. I am just protecting the concept not really sure I will market the tool but its the only thing like it out there right now that I know of. I assume there are guys like me that hate this part of the job.

I was just completely frustrated trying to find a way to process these units with holes already drilled. My tool allows me to do it after the case is processed. I like the holes to be as small as virtually possible and this tool does that.

Give me your thoughts,

I like the Idea! patenting can be expensive cant it? I would buy one assuming it works without damaging the bar.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
You do not want to use a drill bit to open up the holes, you can damage the implant bar post. I have a technique that works very well using a modified burr, and a waxing technique as well for processing. Creates a very clean hole.

Please share!

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
I processed with guild pin in place. slide them out after process.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We used to use guide pins as well but it still forces you to set your teeth and drill a preliminary hole. This would often lead us to have a small ring of pink acrylic around the denture tooth.

Since most of the teeth we use for fixed hybrids are NHC the PMMA material does not extend up to the occ. surface and the demarcation line would always be present. Patching it up post processing with flowable composite always seemed like a waste of time so I wanted to find a way to process bar cases off of the model and drill the access hole in one shot through the tooth from the top not the bottom but still get no where near the metal bar. This allows me to have a hole precisely drilled specifically the size of the screw head, which is way cleaner than free-handing the hole.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
John,

Are you processing the ( hybrid) case on the master cast? Are you packing it, or injecting? Dont know where you are from, but if I ever do a lecture in your area I have a process that works very well for this procedure.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I am in so cal and would love here you speak. Let me know if your out this way.

We process off the master model no analogs straight in a traditional flask for fixed hybrids. Since the teeth are set and approved prior to any bar fabrication and the master model is verified with the jig when the bar is returned to the lab we opaque it and transfer the matrix over to the bar and rewax the case. Invest in the traditional manner and compression pack the case after colorizing.

This is what I love about this site sharing the information for the betterment of our craft. I always like to hear how others are doing it.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Interesting. There are no bar try-ins here. Once the cast is verified, set -up approved and returned, bar is fabricated to the set-up and going straight for finish. I would not even consider press packing a bar case today. Injection is only putting approx 90lbs of force to the bar in the process, where the final pack of acrylic in press pack is approx 3000. Also in press packing I have seen the standard shrinkage ( dimensional change ) and small stress cracks occasionally around the bar post. I lectured in Reno ( Western States Meeting ) this year, dont know yet what the plans are for next year.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Interesting. There are no bar try-ins here. Once the cast is verified, set -up approved and returned, bar is fabricated to the set-up and going straight for finish. I would not even consider press packing a bar case today. Injection is only putting approx 90lbs of force to the bar in the process, where the final pack of acrylic in press pack is approx 3000. Also in press packing I have seen the standard shrinkage ( dimensional change ) and small stress cracks occasionally around the bar post. I lectured in Reno ( Western States Meeting ) this year, dont know yet what the plans are for next year.

I'll be at western states I'll see you there.
I was thinking the exact same thing about press packing a bar case ........Why do it if you have an injection system?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

All great points if processing on a model where the bar is not supported properly. Since the majority of my cases are not wrap arounds they are Montreal type with metal lings. When we invest the stone is poured right to the base of the bar so the stress your worried about is transfered differently than if it was supported by just the cylinders. The amount of resin that is being pressed on these cases is so small that trial packing is the trick for me. I have pressed packed for so long that its my comfort zone. The processing error on my compression pack cases is so minimal that I am not concerned about equilibrating it out.

We have in the past used injection, "Success" and I never liked the results. We are in the process of adding Ivocap to our processing services by the end of the year as incentives become available. I am just so comfortable with the Diamond D chroma essence for my colorized cases that using Ivocap resin will be a new learning curve for us.

I will be looking you up next year if your out this way to listen to your lecture.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
why did you not like the results with success? What makes you believe that you are going to get different results by spending 15 to 20k (?) on an Ivocap system? Before all of the Ivocap users jump my sh!t, I like the system!!! I can vouch because I have used both systems and success is more user friendly and I haven't had any problems with it. I do like the fact that Ivocap has pneumatic delivery system, success is spring driven pressure which I find to be slightly inferior, but the results are always consistent and it is more user friendly with other brands of acrylic.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I'm looking for a used success press I really only need a second press but if only the package is available I'd buy that too at a fair price.

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
why did you not like the results with success? What makes you believe that you are going to get different results by spending 15 to 20k (?) on an Ivocap system? Before all of the Ivocap users jump my sh!t, I like the system!!! I can vouch because I have used both systems and success is more user friendly and I haven't had any problems with it. I do like the fact that Ivocap has pneumatic delivery system, success is spring driven pressure which I find to be slightly inferior, but the results are always consistent and it is more user friendly with other brands of acrylic.

I agree, plus you can do FRS. Two systems in one.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I agree, plus you can do FRS. Two systems in one.

Well first off I was a beta test lab for this system eons ago. It was when I was considering the fact that many new techs could not trial pack like I could :) Most wanted to use a no trial pack resin and jam the dough in there and squeeze the hell out of it. I was looking for an INEXPENSIVE option to alleviate this and I thought this would be the ticket.

The fit of the resin to me was no better than what we were getting with compression packing. The spring pressure to me kind of defeated the purpose of continual pressing of resin and the fact that the resin was not cured in the manner that would benefit a continual pressure it seemed pointless to me.

Since we are a Valplast Lab we do not use FRS so the benefit for the two in one was not really necessary.

Now don't let me make you guys that use Success feel that I am denigrating the system because I am not. It was just not a good fit for me and my lab.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I should be corrected Ivocap systems are around 7 thousand.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
It has been documented that the Success has more shrinkage than Lucitone 199. If you are using Diamond D in it, it may be less. I packed with Diamond D for a few years before switching to Ivocap. Yes, Ivocap is expensive. To keep the flow of work going smoothly here, I have 16 flask and 10 injectors for my set-up. I am confident in the system that my cases are set-up, waxed, equilibrated and finished. No remount is ever done.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
It has been documented that the Success has more shrinkage than Lucitone 199. If you are using Diamond D in it, it may be less. I packed with Diamond D for a few years before switching to Ivocap. Yes, Ivocap is expensive. To keep the flow of work going smoothly here, I have 16 flask and 10 injectors for my set-up. I am confident in the system that my cases are set-up, waxed, equilibrated and finished. No remount is ever done.

Sounds like you are set up to do a large volume of work over there. How many techs do you have in your lab? I never have to do any equilibrating with success but I think that goes for any closed flask injection system. I have never run into any problems with fit, I am injecting diamond d and have great results.

Top Bottom