How to design dental model with hexagon(Honeycomb) infill base?

J

Jin ahn

Reaction score
My boss is asking me for find the way to make the model to be hollow + honeycomb infill base for reducing the resin cost and durability.
I've searched for few hours at google, but cannot find the method unless i become pro 3D designer.
I never used other program than 3Shape model builder & Meshmixer for building the model.
I've attached the photo that i think the ideal form of what my boss is asking.
Is there any simple way to make that base?

Three-base-cast-designs-tested-A-Solid-B-Hollowed-C-Honeycomb-structure.png

Additively-manufactured-casts-with-3-different-base-cast-designs-C-Hollowed.png

E

erykd1

Reaction score
Gotta use blender for dental, it's one of the built in designs. Not too difficult to learn, but it involves adding another program to your workflow.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
So the workflow would be what, 3Shape model builder, into Blender then into the slicing software? Who has time for all of that? In 3Shape why not just make the sides a little thicker for strength, you still may be saving resin and probably printing time in printing the honeycombs.

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Just fill yer hollow models with plaster... problem solved ;)

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Some slicer software will add it to the models

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Some slicer software will add it to the models
I haven't gotten that far along with printing to know, which one(s) are compatible?

Last edited:
rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
That hex design looks like it is from Hey Gears model builder. We do not use that style it adds quite a bit of cost to build the models. We use the mesh type design it only covers the base not the entire inside of the model. Before we got our Hey Gears printer we just printed them hollow and didn’t have any issues doing that. If we felt we needed to have a more solid model we either printed just that one solid or put plaster in it.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 10
T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah, you really don't need a honeycomb infill, a hollow model with a sufficiently-thick sidewall should be strong enough for almost everything except vac-forming or operations involving a lot of compressive force. It'll consume twice as much resin for a negligible benefit. If your boss insists, just add a base-plate with holes, it also won't make much of a difference but it's more economical than the hex thing and it'll trap less resin inside (which will always leak out during post-curing and make a mess / ruin details on the part) .

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Blender for dental and or if you have a heygears printer i has this as one of the option to fill a hollow model.

dentallabmne

dentallabmne

Reaction score
Exocad Elesfina can do that, it has the honeycomb option, you dont have to use it for the design maybe only use it for the model?
Export the scans from 3shape and import them in exocad and make the model?

Top Bottom