How many dentures/day?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Riddle me this? Either model you process on will be destroyed. So-- if your duplicate is good enough for processing on then why the heck wouldn't it be just fine to duplicate again?
I am not being negative--- just trying to understand the reasoning behind EVER processing on a duplicate model when the master is present?!? So far you have no answer.
If you do not make a duplicate at all, which is what I have so far understood you to say, what would you have if things go pear shaped and you need a model to correct the errors?

Are you being hyper specific and make a dup but not for what you consider cma or other BS reason?

Saying stuff is stupid is fine if you just want to let people know you think it is stupid. How about saying what you do different that is smarter?
I'm getting very curious as to what you actually do. What I remember is you usually saying you're not so stupid or wasteful as to do what someone else does.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
Yeah,, I consider this site to be a place where we can help each other, if we think someone is wrong, we can state our case in a kind manner, I’m sure I’ve broken this rule but I try to keep this in mind. I process to a duplicate model, always. I check to make sure the frame fits the duplicate just like it fits the master before I set a single tooth,, then I finish to the master. If I know there’s going to be deep tissue undercuts I’ll make 2 duplicate models so I can remove undercuts and then seat my processed appliance to that,, leaving the master unscathed. Like many things in the lab, not necessarily a right or wrong way to do it,, we taylor these things to our own scenarios. For this I surely charge more than $150. I’d love to hear thoughts on my method.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yeah,, I consider this site to be a place where we can help each other, if we think someone is wrong, we can state our case in a kind manner, I’m sure I’ve broken this rule but I try to keep this in mind. I process to a duplicate model, always. I check to make sure the frame fits the duplicate just like it fits the master before I set a single tooth,, then I finish to the master. If I know there’s going to be deep tissue undercuts I’ll make 2 duplicate models so I can remove undercuts and then seat my processed appliance to that,, leaving the master unscathed. Like many things in the lab, not necessarily a right or wrong way to do it,, we taylor these things to our own scenarios. For this I surely charge more than $150. I’d love to hear thoughts on my method.
I like the dup with blockout method for processing cast rpds especially. Less chance of something going 'twinnnnnnggg' when you take it off after processing. Especially if you've a newbie on invest/pack/devest.

Wouldn't make 2 dups though, just leave the wax on the master till after you've devested sucessfull and if something's wacked you have the way it was blocked out if you need to go there or with a quick hot shower the master is ready for delivery.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Riddle me this? Either model you process on will be destroyed. So-- if your duplicate is good enough for processing on then why the heck wouldn't it be just fine to duplicate again?
I am not being negative--- just trying to understand the reasoning behind EVER processing on a duplicate model when the master is present?!? So far you have no answer.
Inna Hurry....Let me tell you what is BS------YOU!!!
I'm so glad we have an option here to block someone, as soon as I post this I will block you and never see any of your posts again. This site is for people to help one another, NOT to act like you know more than anyone else and your way is the only way anything should be done.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
If you do not make a duplicate at all, which is what I have so far understood you to say, what would you have if things go pear shaped and you need a model to correct the errors?

Are you being hyper specific and make a dup but not for what you consider cma or other BS reason?

Saying stuff is stupid is fine if you just want to let people know you think it is stupid. How about saying what you do different that is smarter? I sure don't think my way is smarter but inject logic into the equation.... if the dup is as good as the master why worry? If it's not as good (see reasons below) you just processed on a sketchy model.
I'm getting very curious as to what you actually do. What I remember is you usually saying you're not so stupid or wasteful as to do what someone else does.You know saying something is stupid is NOT calling someone stupid.

I was assuming anytime ANY prosthesis is made.... with the exception of a full denture.... that a duplicate model is made. ALWAYS. And the case refit after process.

I thought dups were an industry standard TO CHECK FITMENT OF THE COMPLETED APPLIANCE. On dups I routinely need to relieve interproximals of minor pulls, remove bubbles from rest seat areas and bead lines and generally look them over. I can go at those areas quickly and aggressively as it is only used to confirm path of insertion and butting of acrylic to tissue.

Ps. they are usually made by the low guy.... food for thought.... if a dup is poured up in alginate or colloid and the fng pulls it and sees bubbles in his pour how would the person waxing down the finish know the fng crapcanned the model and repoured the same impression a second time?!?

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Inna Hurry....Let me tell you what is BS------YOU!!!
I'm so glad we have an option here to block someone, as soon as I post this I will block you and never see any of your posts again. This site is for people to help one another, NOT to act like you know more than anyone else and your way is the only way anything should be done.

...and still no answer..... but name calling... thank you.

I am sincerely sorry if I offended you.

Good evening Doris A.

Last edited:
D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
I guess I look at it like this, i want to alter finish) my processed appliance to fit my master model,,,, Instead of altering my model (pts mouth). I haven’t had a ton of formal training in this area,, Maybe I’m wasting time doing this? I do know this, it seems most docs today are used to having to adjust the hell out of partials,, I feel like a lot of them have accepted this as a reality of prescribing Pds. My busiest doc told me that the last guy he had making his partials didn’t use a duplicate AT ALL EVER. He would tell the doc, ‘frame fit the model before I processed so it should fit after process.’ After working with this doc for 2 yrs I haven’t had a single complaint about having to adjust. He tell me mine pop right in.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
As far as using a dupe w tissue undercuts blocked out, I could definitely see this as a time saver, But I want my saddles to hug as much tissue as possible. You have to block out considerably more to get a passive fit on stone as opposed to soft tissue. When I finish partials I eyeball the undercuts on the saddle, relieve whatever amt I think would be necessary to clear path over tissue,,, Everything else I remove from the second dup model (ONLY TISSUE UNDERCUTS THO, no tooth structure or bony tuberocities.). As long as that frame fits my dupes as it does the master model,, I’m good. This is honestly probably the most thought I’ve given to this subject in a long time. I’m going to really think about Inna-Hurry s method,, can definitely see thie possibility of this way being much faster, with equal or better results. I may have learned something today

SmartLabJon

SmartLabJon

Reaction score
Well I use to have and 5 man crew , 1 did models , 1 set up and managed, 1 wax- up , 1 finished all cases and finished repairs & relines and 1 repair person .
I use to keep track of the overall finishes as my basis . Understanding the amount of same day repairs could affect to total finishes . Anyway we put out an average of 20 to 25 arches per day . That was 2010

Hey all I just found this post. I am looking into restructuring my removable department to make it more efficient. I have a 3 man crew, 1 does models/bbs/cts/investing, 1 does setups/waxups/repairs, and one does divesting/finishing/polishing. I also keep track of finishes overall to gauge the workload there. Historically we do 3 repairs and one reline per day on average. I also wanted 10 finishes per day out of that department. Now I'm thinking is 10 not enough for a 100% capacity scenario? I am about 30% down (7 finishes per day) currently due to a slow period.

I guess my question is, if all you had to do was divest, finish and polish (a mix of complete dentures, partials and valplast),what is a reasonable number I should be looking at here? We are a production lab and not high end by any means and we don't add anything extra in like stippling or rugae.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hey all I just found this post. I am looking into restructuring my removable department to make it more efficient. I have a 3 man crew, 1 does models/bbs/cts/investing, 1 does setups/waxups/repairs, and one does divesting/finishing/polishing. I also keep track of finishes overall to gauge the workload there. Historically we do 3 repairs and one reline per day on average. I also wanted 10 finishes per day out of that department. Now I'm thinking is 10 not enough for a 100% capacity scenario? I am about 30% down (7 finishes per day) currently due to a slow period.

I guess my question is, if all you had to do was divest, finish and polish (a mix of complete dentures, partials and valplast),what is a reasonable number I should be looking at here? We are a production lab and not high end by any means and we don't add anything extra in like stippling or rugae.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Who is investing?

SmartLabJon

SmartLabJon

Reaction score
Not the same person that is finishing!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
...and still no answer..... but name calling... thank you.

I am sincerely sorry if I offended you.

Good evening Doris A.
Wow glad I've been head down for a few months.
In theory, fine.
But you know what?
Some Dr's want their goddamn master back and will give live birth of kittens if it ain't perfect.
A lot of labs process on dupes just to avoid conflict with known as Sholes.
That IS a solution to a problem, just not the one you were arguing.

It certainly wasn't worth getting pushy over.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This thread is more fun than the Dem debates.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
This thread is more fun than the Dem debates.
Even with all of the monomer inhalation the removable tech's heads are much clearer than the Dem's in most cases.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
for sure.
...and how to address a transitional denture Vroam
LOL....also, better not call it a model anymore either, might offend them. You better throw away your shade guides too...those are just 'racist'!!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It seems this all started when we went digital.
coincidence?