Comfort hard/soft splints

E

Ehas23

Reaction score
Hello all , I just began printing splints using Keysplint Soft. My clients are asking if they are hard/soft. They use Glidwell for these types of splints. Glidewell hard/soft are two piece with the soft liner. Obviously I want them to purchase splints from me instead. How did you guys go about steering them away from those to the 3D printed ones? I know that the 3d printed Keysplint splints are thermodynamic and soften up in the mouth or by placing them in some warm water before inserting into the patients mouth. Is there anything else I can say? I see some guys here mentioning that they do 16-20 and even up to 50 3D splints per day. Any tips on how to sell this? Thanks!

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
The thermodynamics was a good selling point for me. Back in the day when Dentsply had Eclipse that was what doctors wanted. Same is true now. Emphasize that we are forgetful and patients will not consistently wear their appliance at night. The re-shaping properties in warm water helps alleviate the appliance not fitting.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
I borrowed this from someone and is perfect for what you need:
Our Hard/Soft 3D printed night guards have a similar durability to hard material night guards but also include thermodynamic softening technology. This allows our 3D printed night guards to be heated up and then become more adjustable and moldable.
This is the Dandy recommended night guard because it’s highly versatile. They fit great, have a very accurate and precise fabrication process, and allow for an easy seating process when immersed in warm water before seating on the patient’s arch
Then at room temperature the 3D printed night guard will feel more rigid than a Hard/Soft. It’s important to note that unlike a standard Hard/Soft night guard, the Hard/Soft 3D printed night guard softens after being heated up. In fact, after your patient wears the Hard/Soft 3D printed night guard, it will become softer as the patient’s body temperature warms it up.

E

Ehas23

Reaction score
I borrowed this from someone and is perfect for what you need:
Our Hard/Soft 3D printed night guards have a similar durability to hard material night guards but also include thermodynamic softening technology. This allows our 3D printed night guards to be heated up and then become more adjustable and moldable.
This is the Dandy recommended night guard because it’s highly versatile. They fit great, have a very accurate and precise fabrication process, and allow for an easy seating process when immersed in warm water before seating on the patient’s arch
Then at room temperature the 3D printed night guard will feel more rigid than a Hard/Soft. It’s important to note that unlike a standard Hard/Soft night guard, the Hard/Soft 3D printed night guard softens after being heated up. In fact, after your patient wears the Hard/Soft 3D printed night guard, it will become softer as the patient’s body temperature warms it up.
Thanks! , funny thing is, I was using this from the Dandy site as well :p

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
I just tell them that I use it personally and that it feels more like a "medium/medium" also explaining that with resin you'll never be able to have a dual layer, but you gain the function, custom design, and accuracy in return. They also like that we have the design stored for easy remakes.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
I just tell them that I use it personally and that it feels more like a "medium/medium" also explaining that with resin you'll never be able to have a dual layer, but you gain the function, custom design, and accuracy in return. They also like that we have the design stored for easy remakes.
I'd think there has to be a practical workflow to produce dual-hardness printed nightguards, even if it's not generally worth the hassle. Polyjet printers with multiple materials seem like the obvious solution, but there are some goofy party tricks that you can try with conventional LCD/DLP printers, like printing the base layers in one resin, pausing the build, switching the resin trays, and resuming printing. Orient the nightguards right and you could probably switch over to a softer resin where appropriate. Not really practical for serial production, of course.

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
I guess there's always a way haha I shouldn't say "never" :p

E

Ehas23

Reaction score
Aren't those splints like $59?? Why compete to steal that away from Glidewell?
I believe they're $80. I'm just looking to see what you guys say to your Dr should they ask for a hard/soft 2 piece. Trying to steer them away from that model to the 3d printed

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I charge the same for our hard soft splints. Much more for our printed splints. I have new clients that I have pulled from Glidewell because they would rather use a local lab.

E

Ehas23

Reaction score
I charge the same for our hard soft splints. Much more for our printed splints. I have new clients that I have pulled from Glidewell because they would rather use a local lab.
Interesting, thanks for the reply. What percent of your splints would you say are printed?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Every office I work for sends their splints to GW. To me its like the fries that get swept off the floor at BK, small potatoes. They must make a fine nightguard though.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Every office I work for sends their splints to GW. To me its like the fries that get swept off the floor at BK, small potatoes. They must make a fine nightguard though.
Me too....nothing lost. It's the price dentists like, not the great result. Which is why it's not worth trying to compete for "the business".

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The scheu H/S material is about $10 a sheet, so it never made sense to compete for a NG they get for $45 (its been awhile since Ive seen their prices obviously) from GW. Theres no way my labor to make one is worth less than $35, especially if they want something thats articulated with guidance etc.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the reply. What percent of your splints would you say are printed?
Without looking at my numbers more than 80% are printed. The H/S splints are for light bruxing and low cost and not a treatment appliance.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Me too....nothing lost. It's the price dentists like, not the great result. Which is why it's not worth trying to compete for "the business".
I do not compete for "the business". I simply offer it to them and they would rather use me instead of GW, even though I charge more. GW is a great marketing tool for me. A lot of my clients have used them and some still send some things to GW but a lot of them prefer a local service that we can provide that GW can not. The same goes for my local NDX lab. This IS a relationship business not everything is based on price.

Last edited: