HELP

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Have a implant that the abutment came loose in the mouth and the crown is still on the abutment. Any ideas on how to get the crown off. Keep in mind I want to save it.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
First of all what type of crown? You should just be able to run it up in a porcelain furnace and it will burn off the cement. I think it starts to burn out at 4 or 500?

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
If the whole thing is out of the mouth, put it in an oven (cold) and bring the temperature up to about 400 degrees and hold it there for a couple of hours. It gets a little stinky (so it is best to do it in a burnout oven instead of a porcelain furnace),but the cement will break down into flakes or ash and the parts will come apart.

If it is still in the mouth, but loose, that is a different story. The longer it can rattle around, the more it can damage some of the interface. If it can be lifted and unscrewed then proceed with the above. If not, perhaps a small access hole can be made to get to the screw (angle and location could be determined from the implant analog cast the crown was made from...if it is available).

If this won't work, sacrifice the crown. It can be remade. If the implant gets dinged up or the threads get stripped, it can get real ugly!

Good luck!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
the abutment fell off? somebody forget the screw?

I had a doc once tell me the crown was cemented to the abutment... PFZ over titanium. Couldn't get it off, even after baking it...
In the end, I hit it with a hammer, and there was no cement, just a pfz that was JAMMED onto a tit abut in the wrong rotation...

T

tincho73

Reaction score
Have a implant that the abutment came loose in the mouth and the crown is still on the abutment. Any ideas on how to get the crown off. Keep in mind I want to save it.

Well , I have to options when a case like this arrives to my lab

1- I have an old implant analog( ext hex but rounded ) attached to a pen body . So the abuttment seats in the analog perfect and whit a little torsion I can turn clokwise the crown cemented to the analog , and that torsion will make the screw also turn and get ito the analog. because the hex is rounded ( or you can use a smaller diameter analog if the screw is compatibe ) and in that way I can get a plaster knife or similar in the interface between crow and abuttment , and whit a little heat from a flame force the crown to come off.
2 If the interface is kinda "wide" and ou can see some cement , you can use an 1/4 rounded bur (carbide) to make a way between crown and abuttment , always against the abuttment , and easily will come off.

sorry for my english!

Regards

Martin