Is air dryer necessary for dental lab milling machine

H

Harrypotter

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a question , if I buy a new milling machine , is Is air dryer necessary for dental lab milling machine?:confused:

I do not have any air dryer now
The dealer said : I should buy 1 to protect the spindle of the milling machine

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes you need one!!! Your milling machine won't last long without one.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If you can, a refrigerated version is nice, the ultimate. But if you're like me, and don't have the space for one (the compressor is in my house utility room, on the left side of the compressor is my water softener) at least get a desiccant bead dryer or two (at least two). My compressor is oilless and has two tower dryers on it, I have one coming off the compressor, and two more that are right before the mills, one for each mill. A refrigerated dryer is better and less bead change out and over the long term, pays for itself in not having to buy beads, or regenerating them in the stove oven ;) :)

air line 2.jpg
air line.jpg

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
short answer: yes, get a dryer

long answer: yes get 2 dryers in case the first fails

S

steve0089

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a question , if I buy a new milling machine , is Is air dryer necessary for dental lab milling machine?:confused:

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Saw a lab once where the first blowgun air blasts of the day always produced a plume of water mist because they weren't drying their air sufficiently upstream. So you know that same thing is happening inside the mill, every single day. Inline air dryers are very cheap for how much money they'll save you from not ruining all your machine tools over time.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys

at least an in line dryer

E

erykd1

Reaction score
We've got this one

Keeps our air dry, going strong for 2 years now

Ingersoll-Rand D12IN Refrigerated Air Dryer​

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Cheapest and best route is a used dental office air compressor like a jun air, quiet and works great. They actually have a condenser on it to remove moisture, the dessicant dryers never worked for me, its damp in the NW. Most mills have a water separator on them, but the coiled condensor is the way to go. Ive bought 2 used dental compressors both for under $600, they are $5-6k new.

Last edited:
D

DIMADEL

Reaction score
depend of the milling machine , if the spindle is air refrigerated you will need a air dryer, but roland is other situation , The spindle is electrical driven .