Facebook Page

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Do you have a Facebook page for your lab? Is it a personal page or a business page?

What advice could you give towards setting up a successful page?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I dont have a FB page , but i do have a tumblr blog page.. FB is overrated. I just dont see the point for a business that isnt retail or a band to have a FB page, unless your Drs have one and want to add you.. Maybe post some updates to their patients.. Not a terrible idea I guess.. All pts. Wonder where their crown comes from..

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Facebook is a great way to network. I started a business one but haven't gave it much attention (like my website) but I am on my personal one with a lot of college, Dentist, client, and forum friends. It's a great way to shoot the bull in more of a private way. I like it, and If I was starting from day 1 again, I'd start with a business page, build up your network on that and if you like it a lot, then you can always make a personal page for yourself. Either way, it's a nice networking tool for our industry.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm in the process of redoing my website and was wondering if it would be more worthwhile to develope a FB page instead.
I'm on Linked in but it is more about networking. I'm thinking more in the line of pictures and case presentations .

I suppose I should have all 3 ( FB,website,L In )

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
its not like it costs anything, only time..

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
On Facebook business and personal bleed over onto each other, in a controlled fashion with privacy settings.
I have found it to be an ideal way to get visibility over a broad range with little investment except time.
I usually get about 1 inquiry a month from DDSs looking for information from my lab.

If your looking to use social media to grow your lab, I suggest reading "Social Boom" by Jeffrey Gitomer. Its a "cookbook" for how to use social media as a marketing tool.
Actually, I suggest anything Jeffrey has written. He has a very plain speaking, "in your face" style which I admire.

shellbell12

shellbell12

Reaction score
I just started a FB page for my lab...being a dental auxillary and working in many offices over the past 24 years, I have many contacts who (hopefully) will have some pull with their dentists. Come find me and "Like it".. Amelia Denture Lab, Inc. I'll "Like it" for you.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
All three in my opinion. Upkeep and maintanance can be time consuming. Keep things fresh and change/modify content frequently. Link all three together and steer FB visitors to your webpage.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If you have the time, at least once a day you need to update your status, either you final results on a big or even single unit case from that day, A design on a CAD/CAM etc. It is good to update your doc's and followers so they can see your work. It is a time taking task but it pays off, sometimes. Also links to studies and other stuff helps, a few funny thing along they won't hurt either.

R

Rayne

Reaction score
It actually takes you back to your core business approach:

Are you targeting dentists in your area or the wider nation? Is your target market from the last question on FB, LinkedIn or both? Which social media has the greater number? Which social media has the greater number of conversions?

Some labs use their FB page as poster, they put it up and don't really do anything with it but it satisfies having a presence on the internet. Others actively add content in the hope it might peak the interest of a dentist or collaborate with other labs and a rare few incorporate their FB into their marketing strategy. With each marketing campaign encouraging interactions with FB and FB redirecting to the website for conversion/more education on the services/customer acquisition.

Whichever method you adopt it will be governed by how much time you put towards it. Some SEO and social media 'gurus' say if you don't give it the time, social media can give the opposite intended effect - so for example if you go to a FB business page and there hasn't been any activity for years then some may assume you're out of business. But I think it all depends on what you want to achieve with it.

There are several active people you can learn from, actually I wrote an article on this commenting on a JDT article that lists some of the influential people on facebook in our industry you can read my article here. I gave different examples of people that interact with FB on different levels, from the comment-ers to the contributors to the active social media campaign.

Hope that gives you a starting point of defining what you want to achieve and what's realistic for your time. If you were to go all out you'd have FB, Linked In, Twitter, a YouTube channel and it would all be interconnected with your website but I felt if I started on about that it could get a little 'over whelming'.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be the contrarian on this topic. I think way too many web sites or Facebook pages are created solely for the sake of having them. In my opinion, when they are poorly done or created and then ignored, they are worse than no presence at all. I think many times they are put up just because people think they have to have one with little thought about what they are actually going to get out of it.
I have a FB page for personal stuff, but that's it. No web site, for that matter, I'm not even in the yellow pages. I get all the work I can stand from referrals.
I'm sure for those that have the time or staff to devote to them they're effective, but for most, I don't think so.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm with you on your points Rob,

I've seen many sites of so called " cosmetic" dentists and labs with no before and after pics,just stock photos.

I like photobucket.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
dentistry and cosmetics being so subjective of an industry, i'd think it more or less backwards to incorporate bookface twit-tube and such in your business.

the relationship of patient to dentist, or technician to dentist to patient is much a personal thing. tweeting photos of a nice smile goes only so far; at some point in time the prospective clients start seeing more sales pitch and less pride in personal accomplishment. typical customers look more at the quality of life in the office and less at the quality of the smile; i.e. friendly staff, comfortable colors, gentle hands, etc. these minor changes make a world of difference in customer satisfaction where a great smile (the end result) will reflect the experience had in the dental office each time the patient brushes in front of a mirror.

now, thats not to say facebook and twitter cannot be of use in everyday operations; patients can be messaged (as well as given the traditional phonecall) and that does add a flavor of modernism to the customer. then again facebook and twitter are double edged swords; yes they can be used for good, but the client - if EVER mistreated or uncomfortable - has every capacity to post bad things on your page. the scary part of modern day business is how the internet sometimes rises up against anything any time for any reason, and simply for fun. i used to be one of those people. i used to be part of the internet mob. trust me when i say being ON the internet is dangerous. being famous on the internet even more so.

all that said, internet communication has its uses in the dental field, but i feel it no more useful than traditional phonecalls or traditional advertising. dentists communicate with each other the same way everyone does. word of mouth spreads over the internet just the same as the phone. when dentists are unhappy they tell each other. they network, they post on forums. they will run you down probly the same as we run them down on these forums.

have i made a point yet? i'm babbling.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
No those are great points Luke.

I guess I'm looking for a free website as much as anything else...

3ShapeTrios

Reaction score
Nothing makes your lab look worse then a Facebook page with 10 likes that hasn't been updated in months.