Etching Zirconia

JandBDentalStudio

JandBDentalStudio

Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Kelvin Tantono

Reaction score
wao. new insight. i just knew that zirconia can be etch .

G

grantoz

Reaction score
z prime has been around for years in some peoples hands ie dentists it works really well and others it doesnt every thing falls out.2 things you never do are use silane and z prime together as many of my clients have tried even after telling them not to the silane works like an isolating agent and the other is to tell the dentist never clean the surface with phosphoric acid as this stops the chemical cross linking with the zirc basically it reacts with the zirc and stops the z prime reacting chemically with the zirc because the acid gets in 1st and doesnt leave anything for the z prime to react and bond with. Dr Bagi from the states gives some very good lectures on bonding zirconia biscoe the makers of z prime do pay him but he does know his stuff..

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Ok.. so it will bond to ti. I use monobond for this. But it is not an etch.

I've read several times that the link between the oxides is speratic and not completely reliable.

I thought this thread was about etching zr for a bond to tooth structure. ¿

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Never tried this stuff. If the doctor adheres to the proper protocol for cementing zirconia there shouldn't be a problem. However, I think it would be advantageous if milling centers could provide some circular retentive grooves on the inside of crowns such as those which they place on the outer surface of abutments.
Thats not intentional. It's just a byproduct of the machine tooling. The knurling you see is horizontal on Atlantis abutments, Vertical if you get them from BioHorizons, and Nobel has no knurling. Not intentional, but advantageous for sure. It increases the mechanical retention and the surface area.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Their is a total science behind the bonding agents that are now being marketed for Zirconia.

The primers today are giving marginal increases but some is better than none. Its treating the Zirc much more like metal etching rather than ceramic etching.

We have not included this in our production,

Makes sense since it's a metal oxide.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
So...I've always been told that Zr cannot be etched....so now it can?