Etching Zirconia

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Hi all, Is anybody here etching zirconia?
I can't find any extra info about this.
Thank you

Attachments

• File Feb 08, 6 52 44 PM.jpeg
    File Feb 08, 6 52 44 PM.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 132
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Hi all, Is anybody here etching zirconia?
I can't find any extra info about this.
Thank you

Never tried this stuff. If the doctor adheres to the proper protocol for cementing zirconia there shouldn't be a problem. However, I think it would be advantageous if milling centers could provide some circular retentive grooves on the inside of crowns such as those which they place on the outer surface of abutments.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Never tried this stuff. If the doctor adheres to the proper protocol for cementing zirconia there shouldn't be a problem. However, I think it would be advantageous if milling centers could provide some circular retentive grooves on the inside of crowns such as those which they place on the outer surface of abutments.
If you get tricky with some software, you could probably pull that off yourself.

We have been using Zprime which bonds too ZR and leave a molecule chain that bonds with most adhesives. Been working great.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
check out zirkonzahn website on bonding process its all there.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I've been known to glaze the retainers on a zirconia maryland bridge so they can etch that.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I have one dr that bought some z prime and wants me to use it, says she learned it at kois lecture... Other Dr uses ivoclean and says the crowns stick to tooth even after bisecting.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Use gc luster paste and etch

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
I didn't know Zr was etch-able, I never faced in my life any Zr crowns/bridges that came off from a client of mine.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I didn't know Zr was etch-able, I never faced in my life any Zr crowns/bridges that came off from a client of mine.

Same here. I really haven't heard of zirconia coming off being a issue. Then let alone creating an even greater bond to the tooth can really add to the headache than it already is, should it ever need to be removed.

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
the challenge we've had with some cases is in Maryland bridges. We have the doc cut us a nice connector that cradles the tooth, but still, you get the random maryland that comes off.

zprime would only be available in europe i'm guessing? Anyone know of a N.A. supplier? woops, i see it's in illinois.. nice!

I've seen many zirconia products for strengthening the bond of zirconia, but all are in europe and no one's bring them over here.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
I do not believe you can etch zirconia. We blast the inside with Rocatec from ESPE to obtain mechanical retention for the few cases that require it.

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Effectively etching Zirconia will open new indications for this material including Veneers and Onlays.
By the way, the ad picture was taken from LMT's Jan 2016 edition.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Their is a total science behind the bonding agents that are now being marketed for Zirconia.

The primers today are giving marginal increases but some is better than none. Its treating the Zirc much more like metal etching rather than ceramic etching.

We have not included this in our production,

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I havent looked into it, but the z prime looks more like a silane than an acid etchant..

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like a z prime is a surface primer (phosphate co-monomer),and Ivoclean a surface cleaner to get the smutz layer off before cementing.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I havent looked into it, but the z prime looks more like a silane than an acid etchant..
Exactly, it bonds to the chemical structure of the zirconia and leaves a molecule chain that bond to most adhesives.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
If you get tricky with some software, you could probably pull that off yourself.

We have been using Zprime which bonds too ZR and leave a molecule chain that bonds with most adhesives. Been working great.
I do that (retention rings)if the doc ask for by using an inverted con bur in the internal aspect of raw zirconia.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Exactly, it bonds to the chemical structure of the zirconia and leaves a molecule chain that bond to most adhesives.
I would love to see the chemical diagram on this..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk