EMAX cracks

David S.

David S.

Reaction score
We are getting cracks in our emax after it is fired for stain and glaze. We are using Vacumat 6000.
Starting temp: 403 C
6 min dry time
50 rise
Vacuum comes on at 453
Final temp 735 C
Hold 1 min

We are at wits end trying to figure out what is going on. Don't know if they might be too thin or a thick and thin spot together.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have never even seen an eMax crown in person.

Crazy, eh? Just not interested in that material at all.

Have fun! LOL

I am sure in a few seconds someone will help you.......

user name

user name

Reaction score
How thin? How long is your cool/opening time? Are the crowns being adjusted after pressing?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Sounds like you should slow cool. maybe 550-500. I go real slow on all my e.max cooling.

A

AL1

Reaction score
If thin occlusal and thick axial walls you can get crack on the occlusal
you can sometimes heal crack by running up at a on a specific cycle,
Know labs that are doing that.
will post later.

David S.

David S.

Reaction score
How thin? How long is your cool/opening time? Are the crowns being adjusted after pressing?
I don't think there is a cool time it just opens. They are being adjusted after press but with a high speed and water. We do not have them thinner that 0.4mm.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Are you using carbides to adjust?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I don't think there is a cool time it just opens. They are being adjusted after press but with a high speed and water. We do not have them thinner that 0.4mm.

Posterior emax shouldn't be thinner than 1.2mm.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Need pics and measurements..

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Slow cool will help a lot. I had trouble with the metal pin style firing pins. They would stick to the Emax material sometimes and cause a crack when I pulled the crown off. When I say stick, I mean just barley noticeable, but enough.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
whoa...

seems unwieldily huge number to me

If you're not getting enough occlusal reduction, you should be using a different material. Zr should be .5 mm, yes? Doctor is not giving this guy enough reduction for consistent success.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Take crown up to 840 use everything else the same as stain and glaze, also fill
crown with object fix from ivoclar to prevent warping.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
we have good success with 3/4mm

user name

user name

Reaction score
I get it everyday. On the rare occasion I don't, Zr it is or reprep/ reduce opposing.
I get it from my accounts too. You have to let them know whats required for a specific material to be successful. Fortunately, when theres not enough room, e.max ceram blends well right down to a thin Zir coping.

If you don't have time to do it right, how will you have time to do it over?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

How fast it opens would be your cool. Leave the sager tray sit there a couple mins. before grabbing it.

I fire all posterior directly on the honeycomb tray, no peg. Never a problem, and if néeded , use a little superPeg putty on a wire MasterCeramist peg. Also cool for four min minimum.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Posterior Recommendations are: 1.5mm On occlusion and axial walls, 1.0mm at margins. These recommendations are for strength in the posterior.

As for the cracking, 0.4mm across the occlusion with probaly a much thicker cusp on either side would cause uneven cooling and cause a stress crack during cooling. Definitely adding a slow cooling to 500C/932F (if your oven is by temperature) or 7 minutes (if your oven is by time) would help, but at those thicknesses it may not solve it.

Also, I would not recommend using a high speed for adjustments, even with water cooling. At the thicknesses you are talking about it would not take much to create a thermal crack. And definitely no carbides. Stones and Diamonds only.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom