Employee

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I'm in a death spiral. Been stressed to the max for the last 2 years. Been wanting to take on an employee to finish posterior single units. At this point with three other employees come and gone, two of which I wish I would have fired months before they left, I realize I need to learn how to hire and then manage people or be a lone hermit.
I hired a tech July 5th 2016. She's a dental assistant who has the vocab and basic knowledge. Taught her to thin margins and check for sealed fit., adjust contacts, occlusion and simple contour of posterior singles, then stain and glaze. She was learning it quick and every now and then can do a few a good ones. Been a lot of things I've had to hold her hand on, and things that I would think a person would quickly figure out on there own. I guess i don't realize how hard it is. Also taught how to nest, mill, cut and color. She's done that well except for breaking discs.

How long should it take someone to properly thin and seal margins? She's at 3.5 months with no consistency yet and I'm at the point where I'd do the stain and glaze again if she can get the rest ready. Again, I'm also at the point of being a hermit.

So aside from pointing out to me that I probably don't have the skill set to have employees, How long should it take someone to finish a posterior FCZ that basically just needs margins thinned, and light adjustments to contacts and occlusion, and a stain and glaze. BTW, crowns are pretty close to spot on out of the sinter oven.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm in a death spiral. Been stressed to the max for the last 2 years. Been wanting to take on an employee to finish posterior single units. At this point with three other employees come and gone, two of which I wish I would have fired months before they left, I realize I need to learn how to hire and then manage people or be a lone hermit.
I hired a tech July 5th 2016. She's a dental assistant who has the vocab and basic knowledge. Taught her to thin margins and check for sealed fit., adjust contacts, occlusion and simple contour of posterior singles, then stain and glaze. She was learning it quick and every now and then can do a few a good ones. Been a lot of things I've had to hold her hand on, and things that I would think a person would quickly figure out on there own. I guess i don't realize how hard it is. Also taught how to nest, mill, cut and color. She's done that well except for breaking discs.

How long should it take someone to properly thin and seal margins? She's at 3.5 months with no consistency yet and I'm at the point where I'd do the stain and glaze again if she can get the rest ready. Again, I'm also at the point of being a hermit.

So aside from pointing out to me that I probably don't have the skill set to have employees, How long should it take someone to finish a posterior FCZ that basically just needs margins thinned, and light adjustments to contacts and occlusion, and a stain and glaze. BTW, crowns are pretty close to spot on out of the sinter oven.
Maybe you're the best one for the job.

A

adl

Reaction score
Riley, why not outsource some of the stuff till you find someone? I would outsource your single units, you need some kind of a relief.

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Hi Riley...I feel for you and your issues at this point in your career.:( You may want to outsource, as was suggested. It sounds as if the woman you hired has not worked out and her talents may lie elsewhere. Maybe ask her for her input, when you are not so stressed. I have noticed through the decades, that many dental laboratory's have grown, only to go back to one-person operations, due to these problems. Good luck and please keep us apprised of how you solve this road-bump, and keep yourself healthy.:)

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Maybe you're the best one for the job.
my docs are picky and notice even the smallest changes.
My dream was to own a lab that didn't need me there. Now i'm thinking I raise my prices to hopefully drop only an account or two and work in loneliness, which sounds sad.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
my docs are picky and notice even the smallest changes.
My dream was to own a lab that didn't need me there. Now i'm thinking I raise my prices to hopefully drop only an account or two and work in loneliness, which sounds sad.
Mine too.
If you can bring in an artist to colour your zirconia then that could free you up.I taught my wife who is very talented.
You can leave a ceramist on their own easier than a grinder especially when working on zirconia.
I outsource my zirconia so that frees me up big time.That is far cheaper than hiring an unskilled tech.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Mine too.
If you can bring in an artist to colour your zirconia then that could free you up.I taught my wife who is very talented.
You can leave a ceramist on their own easier than a grinder especially when working on zirconia.
I outsource my zirconia so that frees me up big time.That is far cheaper than hiring an unskilled tech.
You outsource your zirconia and your wife is the ceramist and you??
Fish?

Last edited:
Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
hand eye coordination can't be taught.. you either have it or you don't.
I've seen people that have been doing this a long time and still haven't figured out how to do the basics..

if you have a local school, give them a call.. if you have to pay someone a few dollars more to be 5 steps ahead, then it's a "win, win".

I do know that finishing time is really related to how well the designs are done. and how well the pre-sinter finish is done