Disposable plunger = Incomplete press ?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
..spoke with Ivoclar Tech help today...He suggested that I double check that I have no bumps or catches in my wax with no sharp angles that might result in investment breakdown....Thereby allowing the investment powder to be deposited elsewhere.. ..I am pressing a central and lateral shortly....If the problem shows I will post a picture.. Thanks, Rick

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
20150429_090013.jpg I did not get any moon craters here. However I am wondering why the base of the pellet would appear to have sucked back. Should it not be as wide as the top portion of the button? Or is this the result when the press stops and the plunger rebounds pulling pellet material with it?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
View attachment 18218 I did not get any moon craters here. However I am wondering why the base of the pellet would appear to have sucked back. Should it not be as wide as the top portion of the button? Or is this the result when the press stops and the plunger rebounds pulling pellet material with it?
Your patterns need to be placed away from the center of the ring. Look at the example photos in the instruction manual.
If you look at the shape of the plunger it matches the bottom of the pressed pellet. In my experience it is normal for a small amount of material to creep past the plunger during pressing.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Thanks ,Actually the pellet in the left,, where it contacts the alox plunger is smaller in diameter than the plunger itself.. The pellet on the right is an example of the pellet filling the whole plunger chamber during the press.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
View attachment 18218 I did not get any moon craters here. However I am wondering why the base of the pellet would appear to have sucked back. Should it not be as wide as the top portion of the button? Or is this the result when the press stops and the plunger rebounds pulling pellet material with it?

Patterns definitely placed to far toward the center of the ring. You must remember that unlike casting metal, the coldest area of the ring is the center, and the ideal pressing ares is toward the outside of the ring. Also, it looks like you are probably using a 100gram ring. This works for small units (veneers, anterior copings, small anteriors or bicuspids),but for larger units or more than two smaller units I always go for a 200gr ring. It has a larger heat zone and is easier to angle the patterns towards the outside of the ring. follow the link for a pdf with pictures showing this.

http://SFiles.ivoclarvivadent.us/?fs=6212-8a55f59e3042

Hope this helps.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
lol, whoa, what a relief...I was sweating on how to word things...and as your avatar mood says, you are Devilish :D

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Lol, been there, done that, not falling for that again. You keep eating your popcorn and watching the show, rkm :)

user name

user name

Reaction score
Wasnt it AltreX that had used an inappropriate avatar just a month ago?

Seems to me the guy has mental problems.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I just hope it's not Bruce Jender's nipple.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Wasnt it AltreX that had used an inappropriate avatar just a month ago?

Seems to me the guy has mental problems.

Yes, you're right. I (the forum police :p) reported it to Travis, and he deleted it. Not sure of his mental state, Travis wasn't sure where he was coming from either. 2th remembers it too, it had the same effect on me ;)

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks ,Actually the pellet in the left,, where it contacts the alox plunger is smaller in diameter than the plunger itself.. The pellet on the right is an example of the pellet filling the whole plunger chamber during the press.

Whenever I was using the alox plungers I would at times (or all the time, I forget) get the bottom that would get goofy like you show, even chip away at the bottom during sandblasting, leaving it beveled looking like yours. That cleared up in using the disposable plungers, and in my case, the Zubler seem more consistent for me.

I was once told to hold the alox plunger top with the tong part you use to grab the ingots with, after it comes out of the press will help draw heat out of the plunger to help it cool more evenly. Maybe that's why I would get the little chip edge as seen below, but it did resolve the cracks I would get once in awhile that would run partially up the sprues. Others here can confirm or deny if that idea is valid. I also think it a good idea to run a dummy sprue (same length as the sprued unit) on a base that would normally have just a single unit on it, to help diffuse the pressure. Again, maybe that needs to be shot down or acknowledged as valid or not.

And last but not least, free, at no charge, I've found another useful way (maybe I posted this before?) to use the Ivoclar cooling tray. It works great for holding syringe opaques and stains.

base%20bottom_zpsegkwwbah.jpg

IMG_4021_zpsqant5pre.jpg

IMG_4029_zpsc1b2iopr.jpg