Help Wanted Dental Lab Opportunity

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I'm wondering...is that 200k/month or per year? Per year could be a one man show, per month you'd have to have at least 4 techs, now you're talking a pretty major operation. Those techs/owners are pretty established, not sure he'd find anyone willing to move such an operation...just my thoughts. I'd bet hed be better off doing a rank and file system with his labs if he couldn't find someone willing to move.
200k per year in NYC is nothing

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That's why I asked...East coast lab prices are usually on the upper end of the fee survey every year.
$200k in lab bills equals a whole lot less after lab expenses. a tech would be living out of their car! oh wait, its nyc, theres no room for cars!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
$200k in lab bills equals a whole lot less after lab expenses. a tech would be living out of their car! oh wait, its nyc, theres no room for cars!
hmmm

assuming a digital setup offering cadcam everything from printed models to print and press emax, or even milled emax, you could set up a lab with all the tools necessary, in a 2-4 person op and invest less than 150k.

assuming generous repayment schedules for loans, and high overhead on digital dongle fees, you'd still clear lab profit of 100k, charging 250 bucks a crown. but thats 800 units a month. 40 per day. easily.

between two offices thats 20 units each per day. unless theyve both got 4 chairs and constant demand, this doesnt look like a per-month setup. more likely 200k is just a reflection of just how much they calculated their in house units are worth per year. cerec units.

dividing that out, that makes for 4000 units a year at 50 dollar blocks.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
hmmm

assuming a digital setup offering cadcam everything from printed models to print and press emax, or even milled emax, you could set up a lab with all the tools necessary, in a 2-4 person op and invest less than 150k.

assuming generous repayment schedules for loans, and high overhead on digital dongle fees, you'd still clear lab profit of 100k, charging 250 bucks a crown. but thats 800 units a month. 40 per day. easily.
In NYC...what about rent on the place, and Bloombergs taxes, no way I'd even consider it. But if you're looking to add clients on day one, then it would be a great starting point.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
In NYC...what about rent on the place, and Bloombergs taxes, no way I'd even consider it. But if you're looking to add clients on day one, then it would be a great starting point.
rent on a place in NYC for this hypothetical setup would have to be 30k a month to start making it not worth your while and make it hard to make money. but again i'm not sure its a per month figure we're talking about.

the lab i work at is 24 people, and makes just over 3m a year (roughly, an educated estimation). client list of 30. thats not much more than this setup. 200k per month is 2.4m a year. i have every doubt you are looking at a somewhat equivalent figure here.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
40 units a day in a 2 man lab? I would love to see that happen and at quality worthy to earn $250 a crown.
You haven't seen master Luke in action then...he could double that if wouldn't be wasting his time here so often...:D

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
rent on a place in NYC for this hypothetical setup would have to be 30k a month to start making it not worth your while and make it hard to make money. but again i'm not sure its a per month figure we're talking about.

the lab i work at is 24 people, and makes just over 3m a year (roughly, an educated estimation). client list of 30. thats not much more than this setup. 200k per month is 2.4m a year. i have every doubt you are looking at a somewhat equivalent figure here.
So how do you do the same amount of work with less than 10% of the workforce?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
thats why i say it doesnt add up.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
th

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
it works on paper, not in practice.

on paper for less than 150k investment, you only get 1 sintering oven. no way you get 40 units a day out of 1 oven.
see? is no worky. let alone the fact that the machine you operate could only cut 17 units at a time assuming none are too tall for the puck, and you'd need to cut at least 3 pucks a day. out of one machine thats a lot of work.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
it works on paper, not in practice.

on paper for less than 150k investment, you only get 1 sintering oven. no way you get 40 units a day out of 1 oven.
see? is no worky. let alone the fact that the machine you operate could only cut 17 units at a time assuming none are too tall for the puck, and you'd need to cut at least 3 pucks a day. out of one machine thats a lot of work.
I'm pretty sure we all knew it didn't add up, I just wanted to hear you say it.....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom