Crown and Bridge Mark-Up?

M

mr.incisal edge

Reaction score
Hi DLN forum. I enjoy the discussions and topics on this network. I'm in SOCAL, and I'm interested to know what is your mark up on a posterior PFM, NP alloy. How much more for an implant crown do you charge compared to a standard C&B crown.
I'm currently charging $130 for NP crown. For implant crown I charge $175 NP. I have a difficult time wrapping my brain around doing work for $45 crown. Seems if there's one redo or contact modification, lab loses. I know there is many years of experience on this network. I've been a ceramist/technician for 12 years and have been operating my lab for 8 of those years. The undercutting is a really depressing reality.

Last edited:
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
really depends on the quality.

While doctors are focused on price. If it looks good they will pay the price associated...but we're only talking about posteriors here. we charge more for aesthetic anterior work

Isbill lab

Isbill lab

Reaction score
if people would quit using china it might help

Last edited:
M

mr.incisal edge

Reaction score
For anterior PFMs my price starts at $210 + alloy. Implant PFM is $275 + alloy. Drs are telling me they don't pay for soft tissue on implants, no articulation fee ($15) the list goes on. I think this has surpassed China. Technicians/lab owners are shooting themselves and every other lab in the foot.

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
For anterior PFMs my Technicians/lab owners are shooting themselves and every other lab in the foot.

so you are as well,keeping spreading panic instead of thinking about quality and consistency .,. our lab raised prices not lowered for the past 25 years. You have to look for dentists outside of California, we have some accounts even in UK. I would never post the price [besides noone would even belive] if I would be a lab-owner [thank God I am not].Not wise.popcorn
Price of gold is going down and going back to 1999 level [IMO], so don't panic , pfm's will stay and porc. gold cr's soon will be more affordable.
Good luck.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
the average jeweler marks up gold prices 100-300% if i am not mistake. from what i hear most labs are lucky if they mark up alloy 30%. just sayin

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Jewelers sell directly to the public ( hint hint)

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Jewelry and furniture have a big big mark up!!!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have always wondered how our trade is one of the only trades that I can think of that essentially makes one off products and sells them for an automated mass produced price.

Think about some of the commodities we use in our appliances like attachments. Think about the machine spitting out locator attachments, then think about what the mark up on that product is.

I have said it before dentistry has been very good to me but it sure could have been even better if we as an industry were stronger and more united as a trade.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Everyone should be a member of their trade association. They do good work. If you put money into a political campaign, and don't support your own industry financially, well, you get what you deserve. The NADL works it's ass of for you and most don't even know what they are doing for you. Join your local and state assoc., too.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Everyone should be a member of their trade association. They do good work. If you put money into a political campaign, and don't support your own industry financially, well, you get what you deserve. The NADL works it's ass of for you and most don't even know what they are doing for you. Join your local and state assoc., too.

When Obamacare takes effect, it will emphasizes and compensates more preventive dentistry rather than restorative dentistry, I think, correct me if I am wrong this will affect us all even further !!.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I used to think that until I heard the crowing of the DLAT about what a great job they had done helping to pass legislation to not be regulated under the state health department that uses the same rules as FDA. These should be in force at every lab so not even big change. They should have used the money to get out from under the rule of our customers. I gave tons of time and money but the inability to look done the road and sacrifice today for those that come after us is just not there.

I decided to keep my CDT even though I no longer need it and went to a study club meeting last weekend and will get the rest on the internet.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I used to think that until I heard the crowing of the DLAT about what a great job they had done helping to pass legislation to not be regulated under the state health department that uses the same rules as FDA. These should be in force at every lab so not even big change. They should have used the money to get out from under the rule of our customers. I gave tons of time and money but the inability to look done the road and sacrifice today for those that come after us is just not there.

I decided to keep my CDT even though I no longer need it and went to a study club meeting last weekend and will get the rest on the internet.

Hope you r enjoying the RV and retired life Tom, I'm jealous! That said, a big THANK YOU to the DLAT for all of their hard work.

jthacke3

jthacke3

Reaction score
Back when full cast brown & bridge alloys were $500-600 per ounce, we did the 30% thing. When gold hit $1500/oz I had to reduce my markup because using a fixed percentage made the end price unreasonable. For many years, we've done "out the door" pricing for our pfms--meaning we charge a flat fee based upon an average cost of materials, overhead and labor costs, and desired profit. We have found our dentists prefer the predictability with our pricing and reduces the effort of having to precisely measure the alloy contained in each unit. During volitile markets, we address our fees regularly to make sure our fees remain in line with what we're trying to do.

Our biggest pricing consideration is made by what products we want our dentists to prescribe. In our case, we prefer our dentists to prescribe monolithic products such as zirconia or e.max. As a result, our fees are more favorable for those products. With the products available on the market right now, we want to charge as much as possible for pfms since they cost more to produce.

B

BarbaraWilfong

Banned
Reaction score
My partner and I micro-etched the actual chipped porcelain including usual (because the idea washes the actual cracked porcelain much better than anything at all I am able to imagine of),washed along with mineral water and also air flow dried up. The particular information asked location the actual Vertise (self-etching),and also permit established pertaining to 20 a few moments previous to mild curing the idea pertaining to 20 a few moments much more. That seems like any plumper when compared with usual flowable amalgamated using a moderate opaque frothy look around Vita Tone A2. Any amalgamated system can be used to finish off the actual clean up from then on.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Breakfast reefer Barb?

Top Bottom