Ceramic 'broke off' FIX ?

VincentCeramics

VincentCeramics

Reaction score
Hay people.. i had my work done etc. and dentist send it to some other technician and they broke it.. so they dont have Vita VM13 and i need to fix it.. it broke all the way to metal.

So i need help, should i put Wash Opaq..then Opaq...and then corecture mass or ? What do you do in cases like this?

Any advice would be helpful ..thx

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
clean with whatever burs you use, sandblast, and opaque at temperature lower than the ceramic baking temperature.
Then correction with dentine.
That's a two or three extra bakes that will not be in favor of vitality of ceramic. But worth giving a try.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Like mentioned above apply some lower firing opaque. Then sprinkle some deep/opacious dentin on and tap excess off. Dry it in a open furnace let it cool then build up with some dentin and 50/50 dentin incisal mix and fire at the lowest temp possible. This usually works for me in one bake, but you may have to do a second bake with correction powder.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I'd go for one bake fix myself.

paste opaque, then slap on dentine and bake.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Doesnt look like a crack problem - looks like either that case was dropped or pried off the model from the facial aspect
either way you have to fix it ( sorry)
you way want to try using powdered opaque with water
frezze bake your opaque
mix a little glaze powder in with your dentin- this will give you low fusing dentin
good luck

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That reminds me of a failed attempt at freezing porcelian in a mould and pulling it out to bake. Squashing the opaqued coping on top of wet porc., then vibrate, freeze, pull out and fire.

(temporary or pre-op suck-down or other generic negative pattern. Could even be rapid-prototyped shell negative)

This was in the late 70s early 80s. My dad was telling me about it. It was one of his friends trying to re-invent the porc. world. He was before his time, but now I think it deserves another looksie with more modern materials and the CAD/CAM stuff involved.

VincentCeramics

VincentCeramics

Reaction score
Thx for all your answers, i really appreciate the help!

I broke one other unit to test on it, ill test it once i pick a way to test.

I was looking at this chart too see the temperature of opaque firing (to be lower then main baking temperature),but it isn't.

Now looking at this chart can you advice me again?

I was thinking to go "1 bake"... opaq + corrective mass. But corrective mass have lower temp. then opaqer. So maybe the solution is opaq + base dentin with only 1 baking.
If you dont have some new ideas.. ?

FIRING CHART FOR VITA VM13
awww.freeimagehosting.net_uploads_th.468b6c5b32.jpg
awww.freeimagehosting.net_uploads_th.468b6c5b32.jpg

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Opaque and only half fire it just to set it. Then Margin Correction.

I think Either way, you will need at least 2 firings. You still have to seal the margin

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I slap dentine on wet opaque and don't think twice.

Just don't play with it alot, and it stays right where you put it.

Never noticed anything funny:confused:

Last edited:
subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
Make sure that you grind away a little of the dentin to expose a fine line of the opaque before you add new opaque to get a clean transition. If the opaque butts up against the existing layer eg. dentin, you might end up with a nasty visible line after the bake. I also would bevel the dentin a bit to be able to overlay the new dentin for a better transition.. My experience is when you add porcelain to a straight wall, it mostly separates due to shrinking and you have to fix a cracked open gap.

VincentCeramics

VincentCeramics

Reaction score
Problem fixed. :)

Picture
awww.freeimagehosting.net_uploads_th.3bda399131.jpg
U cant see it at all...perfect. (click to enlarge)

Steps
1.remove glaze from all teeth and make a bit of separation interdentaly (because ill fire it on "second dentin bake" program)
2.sandblast on crack where is metal
3.grind a bit with circle sinter on ceramic all around the crack, to revile a bit of opaquer so opaque can connect to new opaque.
4.put opaquer NICELY and fire it at dentin second bake.
5.i must fire it again cuz i got a bit of crack in opaquer.
6.grind a bit on ceramic surface all around the crack so ceramic can adapt to it once its applied
7. put ceramic (i put base dentin, dentin and incisal) and bake it on seconde dentin bake
8.i needed to bake again cuz i got crack again.
9.glaze it by hand (polish)

Ok, its don, no more crack, but i had to do 4 bakes. Its maybe not the best way but its over now.

Thx for your answers once again! i respect help :=)
awww.freeimagehosting.net_uploads_th.3bda399131.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nice job, now send the bill to the removable lab.

Top Bottom