CAP sum3d

J

JamesBephoto

Reaction score
today I find out that without internet connection
I will not be able to mill anything using sum3d from cap.
This year cap server was down for few hours we were not able to mill anything until they fix issue with their server.
Last weekend I had issue with my internet connection I was not able to use milling for a day.
Any one have back up idea for this kind of situation ?
Please help

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
today I find out that without internet connection
I will not be able to mill anything using sum3d from cap.

Let me get it straight...your Sum3d lic. is hosted on CAP's servers and you need to get connected to be able to run sum3d ?
You suppose to have a dongle and able to run offline or at least they should've provided you with a temporary license (they got the app which can generate one in no time) till the server issue is fixed...

J

JamesBephoto

Reaction score
Yes I do have doglennon back of computer .
I do remember paying around $7000-8000 just for sum3d liscense and pc but it looks like in order to use cap strategy to run milling machine I need authorizations from cap serve.
So if there is a power outage near cap server or what ever reason .
It is a unfortunate event that I will have to suck it up
Any back up idea?!
Cap does not have any back up plan for this

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I do remember paying around $7000-8000 just for sum3d liscense and pc but it looks like in order to use cap strategy to run milling machine I need authorizations from cap serve.

That's new to me...I got sum3D and I don't need to be authorized from anybody to load any given strategy and the CAM PC is offline... are you paying a yearly maintenance as well ?

J

JamesBephoto

Reaction score
That's new to me...I got sum3D and I don't need to be authorized from anybody to load any given strategy and the CAM PC is offline... are you paying a yearly maintenance as well ?
1st milling machine $200 a month or buy $1000 worth materiors from cap , 1 year was free add $500 for each additional milling machine I have.
Update sum 3D is free

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
What kind of mill do you have ?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Let me get it straight...your Sum3d lic. is hosted on CAP's servers and you need to get connected to be able to run sum3d ?
You suppose to have a dongle and able to run offline or at least they should've provided you with a temporary license (they got the app which can generate one in no time) till the server issue is fixed...

I agree, when I was using sum3D we had a physical dongle and a license number. Not relying on someones server. Sorry to hear your troubles.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Roland 51d & 50d

Question is...do you need all the upcoming upgrades to max your mill capabilities ? The strats should've been supplied to you from the get-go (CFG files)...

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm working on fixing this issue and I totally understand the need/want to have flexibility. I've already found out there is a short term fix where we can load in our old non-licensed strats that do not need connectivity but I'm looking into it further to see if there isn't a more logical solution.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Can you explain this Sam? Ive always had a stand alone sum3d computer with a mill connected, no internet connection was required. It would work in "closed loop"

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Strategie acces, versus strategie execute is saved via DRM on a server no connection no strategie avialible or only non DRM strats possible. If CAP makes a strat they save it via DRM in front of copy and paste . (digital right management ).

Last edited:
Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Can you explain this Sam? Ive always had a stand alone sum3d computer with a mill connected, no internet connection was required. It would work in "closed loop"

Yes. Sum3D stand-alone can run without internet connectivity like mentioned, our custom made very cool "Mono strategies" are what require authentication. CAP Mono Strategies is our in house developed milling strategies that plug into CAPZilla and allow for quality and consistent milling on the Roland milling machines.

I really feel like there should be some way we can protect our intellectual property while still allowing the customer to operate their system freely.

Top Bottom