Cad From Home? Sure Why not!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
So arrived at work at 8am today only to find my co workers out side and the power out! FML, ok maybe a hour at tops before the power comes back on right? WRONG, not until noon per the conversation with Edison. So we had a quick casual meeting hung out for a few hours only to walk down the street and ask the workers eta on power up. Not until 8PM! WTF? So I grabbed the Scanner, a bunch of cases and need material and went home and set-up the scanner on PC at home took the dongle and all, Why not I already have 2013 installed at home, so here I am. My little home made Cam Station!

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8252_8641357466_65b0a58a02_h.jpg

So far my PC is kicking arse!!!

AMD 1090T clocked to 4.1GHZ
8GB RAM
AMD Saphire 6870 1GB
Win 7 64Bit
160GB SSD
Dual Dell 2007 Ultrasharp 24: wide panels.

Not bad for a AMD based GPU.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
That looks like the biggest nerd hacking tower in the world! Give yourself a wedgie!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Did you fill up all your HD bays that you have to have one out of the case, it looks like a WD drive, and some (one I could see) Noctura fans. Even OCd it, very cool. I think it looks great, you made it your own....give yourself a wedgie, lol :)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Did you fill up all your HD bays that you have to have one out of the case, it looks like a WD drive, and some (one I could see) Noctura fans. Even OCd it, very cool. I think it looks great, you made it your own....give yourself a wedgie, lol :)

Thanks. Yes self build Noctua NH-D14 killer heatsink and fans. Seagate 2TB on the outside, transfering 1.8GB of images on to the drive from another drive using TeraCopy, then it will go inside the case.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. When I built my rig in 2010, I OCd it on air to 3.7, then backed down to 3.6GHz, ...chicken I guess ;) Some with this Q9650 processor were hitting 4.1-4.2GHz stable, I think even on air. Validation. Yet I think it's soon time for a new build. Below shows build before CPU OCing. Those Noctura heatsinks are really nice, and come with some excellent hardware, I really like mine. Yet, I wish I would've gotten the next size up.

ai240.photobucket.com_albums_ff297_car5454_myrig.jpg

I just bought a D500 that hasn't come in yet, but I was told it's a matched set with the PC their sending me. Is that true, as I wanted them to put a better processor in it up front ( it comes with a i3 ??GHz),and was kind of told "it will be ok" Will I be able to upgrade my processor within the socket family, or does that do something with how it was all geared out of 3Shape "factory" and that major changes cannot be made? It will have 8GB of RAM. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I have an i5 dell and it works fine, its not a speed demon, but less than 800 bucks..

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hi Affinity :)

Did your Dell come with the scanner, and are they a matched set in that you can't do any upgrades, without disturbing how they (3Shape) have it set up between the scanner and the PC?

Or is the real issue the RAM and Graphics card, and if those can be upgraded, without causing a "disturbance in the force"?

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
LOL, um okay! Your just jealous man.
I would be jealous but I only use a computer for DLN and my wife does some pinteresting and pregnant research...but someday

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. When I built my rig in 2010, I OCd it on air to 3.7, then backed down to 3.6GHz, ...chicken I guess ;) Some with this Q9650 processor were hitting 4.1-4.2GHz stable, I think even on air. Validation. Yet I think it's soon time for a new build. Below shows build before CPU OCing. Those Noctura heatsinks are really nice, and come with some excellent hardware, I really like mine. Yet, I wish I would've gotten the next size up.

I just bought a D500 that hasn't come in yet, but I was told it's a matched set with the PC their sending me. Is that true, as I wanted them to put a better processor in it up front ( it comes with a i3 ??GHz),and was kind of told "it will be ok" Will I be able to upgrade my processor within the socket family, or does that do something with how it was all geared out of 3Shape "factory" and that major changes cannot be made? It will have 8GB of RAM. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Dude I OC'ed my chip within 2-3 days of firing up the build and getting windows up to date. Took me 4 days to get it stable at 4.1 on Air and the thing ran hella cools like around 37C on 100% load, I sh!t myself. That was running Prime 95 for hours.

afarm6.static.flickr.com_5020_5477239607_9e026a093d_o.jpg

I would be jealous but I only use a computer for DLN and my wife does some pinteresting and pregnant research...but someday

Originally built for Gaming and Photo Editing. then decided to install 3Shape and see how it runs. Mainly cause everyone says Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU. I Know that a I7 and Nividia 600 series cards runs very smoothly, but this AMD 6870 holds its ground pretty good, slight lagging but other then that the design end of things is almost as smooth as the Nvidia Cards.
ai240.photobucket.com_albums_ff297_car5454_myrig.jpg afarm6.static.flickr.com_5020_5477239607_9e026a093d_o.jpg

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
So arrived at work at 8am today only to find my co workers out side and the power out! FML, ok maybe a hour at tops before the power comes back on right? WRONG, not until noon per the conversation with Edison. So we had a quick casual meeting hung out for a few hours only to walk down the street and ask the workers eta on power up. Not until 8PM! WTF? So I grabbed the Scanner, a bunch of cases and need material and went home and set-up the scanner on PC at home took the dongle and all, Why not I already have 2013 installed at home, so here I am. My little home made Cam Station!

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8252_8641357466_65b0a58a02_h.jpg l

So far my PC is kicking arse!!!

AMD 1090T clocked to 4.1GHZ
8GB RAM
AMD Saphire 6870 1GB
Win 7 64Bit
160GB SSD
Dual Dell 2007 Ultrasharp 24: wide panels.

Not bad for a AMD based GPU.

Love the photo all the way down to the reflection of the dry cleaning in the scanners lid

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Dude I OC'ed my chip within 2-3 days of firing up the build and getting windows up to date. Took me 4 days to get it stable at 4.1 on Air and the thing ran hella cools like around 37C on 100% load, I sh!t myself. That was running Prime 95 for hours.

Incredible job, and numbers, and even desktop validation :) Hope as a newbie here I didn't come across to full steam with all my info., and about my rig information, but I saw you were obviously a PC head, and just got a little excited.

Hi Affinity :)

Did your Dell come with the scanner, and are they a matched set in that you can't do any upgrades, without disturbing how they (3Shape) have it set up between the scanner and the PC?

Or is the real issue the RAM and Graphics card, and if those can be upgraded, without causing a "disturbance in the force"?

Sevan, or anyone else, has what I've been told above correct, can I do any upgrading if I need to once I see what's in the tower? Or do I need to just leave it as it's been set up?

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Incredible job, and numbers, and even desktop validation :) Hope as a newbie here I didn't come across to full steam with all my info., and about my rig information, but I saw you were obviously a PC head, and just got a little excited.

Sevan, or anyone else, has what I've been told above correct, can I do any upgrading if I need to once I see what's in the tower? Or do I need to just leave it as it's been set up?

Thanks, that was my very first OC ever and if I recall the voltage was stock.

Get the tower and your 3shape all set up first. Then run some tests like scanning and designing at the same time, see what happens, maybe a simple addition of more RAM is all it might take. That's your cheapest upgrade first, then maybe look at the socket family and see what other CPU you can drop in there, you might have to find out what the voltage limit is on the MOBO before hand. I was think of uping the CPU on our Optiplex 790 current is a i3 2100 3.1 quad @65watt. I could drop a i7 rated at 65watt and double the RAM for under $400.00. But you also have to see if the board can handle a i7 and what not.

See what happens first. You should be fine, they do a pretty good job of giving you a PC that is capable of running the software, the scanner doesn't really hold you back that much.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
This is one consideration i will be making when i buy a new scanner soon.

One the one hand something like a medit is easy to pick up and take home.

But something like the Steinbichler ST Scan, well that aint going no where.

Theres alot of times when its a friday and it would be real handy for me to pick the scanner up and take home so i can do stuff in comfort over the weekend.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for that follow up information, Sevan, I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have enough on my hands just getting used to using CAD software, so I'll just work with what I get and then go from there. OCing without having to increase the voltage, is defiantly the way to go if you can. Excellent job on your first OC :)

Top Bottom