CAD designed splints

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Who is doing them and what has been your experience doing them?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

We mill them. I never get to see the model.

Custmers design on exocad. We charge $49 to mill.

Trying to get that down to $39 soon by lowering material costs and trying to speed up milling strategy without having it look like poop.

It is basically like milling 12-14 units worth of ?? as far as CAM time and milling time.

We are trying to find ways to "cheat" and speed everything up.

Maybe even cheaper than $39 One day...? Not much cheaper!

Don't know if you guys can work with these prices or not??

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
Hallo ***,

can you please tell me more about your milling bite splits. What material , millingtime and perhaps witch maschine.
Thank you Tom

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I use a 5-axis Haas.

I will be selling a new, smaller 5-axis mill soon for this.

It is Clear PMMA

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I would like to hear from you guys designing them. How long to design. What kind are you designing. How much work finishing after milling/printing.

CB93

CB93

Reaction score
Scott did these for us. Similar to a splint. Fits are great. Designed with VRMesh

Cbite Dental Products

Cbite Dental Products

Reaction score

We mill them. I never get to see the model.

Custmers design on exocad. We charge $49 to mill.

Trying to get that down to $39 soon by lowering material costs and trying to speed up milling strategy without having it look like poop.

It is basically like milling 12-14 units worth of ?? as far as CAM time and milling time.

We are trying to find ways to "cheat" and speed everything up.

Maybe even cheaper than $39 One day...? Not much cheaper!

Don't know if you guys can work with these prices or not??

Nice video...simple and fast!

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
DIGISPLINTTWHITTY_zps39a705f8.png.html
Roland DWX 50 Milled Splint

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
DIGISPLINTTWHITTY_zps39a705f8.png

Thats Better.... Roland DWX50 Milled splint on Objet VeroDent printed model.
This is how we do them these days.
exocad software.

Terry, How long does it take to mill? What is the material costs and is it possible to fit 2 splints on a puck? I think printing would cost less in material, but have not checked that yet. Have you printed any? I like the idea of being able to hit the print button and come back in the morning and have a dozen or more splint waiting for me.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Why the need for an article?

Scan, design, mill....?? Any more questions? Really nothing special.

We do use our own strategy, and an assortment of weird tools probably not available for a Roland.

Milled is stronger, and looks better.

Of course Wet-milling on my HAAS is probably 2x or 3x faster than a Roland, and more accurate.

Dry-milling PMMA is too slow. Could take hours and hours.

We get Two med. size pieces from One disk. Two Large may not fit.

I sell the disk for $15, and so does TD Dental Supply.

Here is a pile of Super Clear PMMA....maybe 300 disks or more??

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Terry, How long does it take to mill? What is the material costs and is it possible to fit 2 splints on a puck? I think printing would cost less in material, but have not checked that yet. Have you printed any? I like the idea of being able to hit the print button and come back in the morning and have a dozen or more splint waiting for me.

We only get one full-sized splint out of a puck. Good news is PMMA is recycled by our manufacturer so used ones go back.
If you modify your strategy and are careful with disk size you can do it in about 1.5- 2 hours.. depending on what you want.
Can be more ..but we are working with various different tools seeing what is best and how to get the time down. At the moment its a bit slower than we would like but we are working on it.

Prices for pucks vary depending where you go..we only use german plastic , Chinese is quite cheap an the thickness varies a lot.

As far as printing goes the only obstacle is the material..at the moment we have no long term aesthetic plastics for use in the mouth ..at least for our machines anyway..
I don't really think anyone has. Possibly laser sintering ..but i have not seen any.
I was not able to go to Euromold this year... that's where a lot of new stuff is announced so will keep my eyes open.
The materials won't be too far off though. In the meantime we mill.

I have printed some on our printers in other materials not suitable for the mouth, but for fit testing purposes and they are great.

Nice pile of blanks, maybe *** will show some finished ones too.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Well considering it is a thread on CAD splints maybe you could grace it with some of the ones you have done, even if you have shown them before.

Top Bottom