CAD designed splints

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Not sure as I am not milling them, but passing the buck.;)

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Beyer and others have a polycarbonate.. but there seems to be some issues with Polycarbonates in general, its hard to get firm answers.
I think we are just sticking to PMMA, PEEK and Acetal Resins for now.

Aly Sergie

Aly Sergie

Reaction score
Beyer and others have a polycarbonate.. but there seems to be some issues with Polycarbonates in general, its hard to get firm answers.
I think we are just sticking to PMMA, PEEK and Acetal Resins for now.

Acetal for a splint? Wouldn't that seem like a very challenging appliance to adjust?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Rob at TD Dental should chime in. We are getting clear pmma from him for $20 or so.

I

illumi

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get a copy of the article detailing the CAD splints from JDT? Unfortunately as we are Canadian we can't access the online JDT.

H

hillmen96

Reaction score
Thanks, Happy New Year too you too!
I am really fond of the Maestro 3D Scanners from Italy. These scanners are totally underrated. I have used just about every scanner on the market, or seen scanning results from most, and i still am of the opinion that these stand up with the best. That being said there are some other good scanners on the market..and some terrible ones.

With a Maestro scanner and a good Quad core computer you can get a great scan of a full arch in a very short time indeed, with full inter proximal capture.... unlike a lot of scanners I see where there is a ton of data missing especially in the inter proximal areas. The scanning software has an algorithm specifically designed for full arch capture as these scanners are used with Maestro 3D Ortho Studio Software. ( ortho software written by the same company) That's not to say they can't do scanning for C and B applications or implants as well, they do, we use them everyday for everything without issue.

The other thing to consider is that the exocad bite splint module will survey and block out the model undercuts for you ( and this is fully customisable and selective ) and you can also adjust the offset ( space between model and splint) to your liking..this is key in getting a splint to fit correctly.

The fit we are getting is just great, far better than we can get with traditional methods.. and why? Because we now have better and more accurate control over a lot of parameters that traditional methods just don't allow us to have. We remove it from the mill cut the connectors and it fits. We are also using 3D printed models as our fitting model, so no more scratched or broken teeth on master models.

I'm not saying people can't make great splints by hand... it's just time consuming....however we have replaced all of our splint manufacturing now with DigiSplint and we even offer a thermolining fitting surface for those customers that require it.

What scanner do you use and what CAM software are you using with your Roland?

Hi Terry,

Can you comment on the settings you are using when designing a splint to mill in PMMA? What amount of offset, retention and drill compensation are you using? I have 3Shape splint designer and a Roland DWX-51D. Any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom