Astron self adjusting splint material

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Brian,
The negative has tin foil substitute on it when I press pack. When I pour in hydrocolloid, I just use the wet model, no tin foil substitute. Should I scrap the TFS?

No, no trial pack, I don't trial pack anything press packed, never have. I am processing 1 hour at 120 per directions and then chilling under running water before divesting for 25 minutes. It does appear to get clearer as it gets colder.

Chip

No, I wouldn't scrap the TFS... I'm just walking things out loud.... When I press pack, I trial pack... I don't understand why your having the results that you are??? I'm befuddled...

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
Set up issues ...

Astron makes great materials! I used their Clearsplint material years ago until I found Variflex from Great Lakes Prosthodontics. Variflex is a self-curing thermoplastic and has mutliple uses such as occlusal splints, surgical guides, stayplate retention, stabilized baseplates etc...

Robert Kreyer CDT

We have had problems with the Astron material and switched to Variflex - we have always poured with excellent results and do about 20 a day. We have noticed though with the 2:1 ratio the material will set up in the middle of the pour. Do you have any tricks to share, or a different ratio that still allows the material to cure?

Brian Hyde

Brian Hyde

Reaction score
I have used the astron splint material.. Its pretty good but I like Impact material.. Just about the same I'd say..

A

AMG DENTAL

Reaction score
Yes, This is a great material,
place at 60 degree water, can make some adjustment.

and the best thing is no monomer smell ever! and never turn to yellow with age

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
1 CLEARSpiint came out before Variflex, (the Varifelx has a lot of smell to it, like the first formulation of CLEARSplint did.) More in line with IMPAK, with the same taste,smell issues. IPAK was the first material I used for nightguards in 72, with Henry M. Tanner DDS lower brux appliances.
Fricke comes out like glass but after a year it starts to yellow & I found quite a bit of fractures around the molar area. (I articulate and mill in my night guards, mill in is not the issue).
Dualaminate are fine for a short term appliance.
Here is a tread to check out.
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f2/clearsplint-tips-10043/#post60729

My 2cents worth FWIW I've only been doing bux appliances since the 70's. What ever material just try & do your best, not just look for the fastest or cheapest.