Titanium framework turning black

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with titanium frameworks turning black over time? I’m assuming this is likely a oxidation possibly due to a cleaning solution the patient is using. Unsure at the moment curious if anyone else has seen this and has any input?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Used to do a lot of hot-forging of titanium, which isn't exactly dental, but:
Titanium metal generally has a passivized transparent oxide layer in atmosphere, it's why you can draw a full range of anodization colours with a flame- light bounces around inside that oxide layer, and the depth of it determines the visual wavelength and therefore the colour perceived. You won't get black with that non-electrochemical passivized oxide layer, it maxes out at a deep, dull brown.
As I understand it, there are a range of processes to blacken titanium deliberately, but they're proprietary electrochemical anodizing processes, or else chemical processes that are incompatible with the human mouth, i.e. something that starts with submersion in chromic acid at 160C and gets nastier from there. But there are a lot of weird techniques I've heard of people trying, most of them giving inconsistent results. Lots of bladesmiths trying to blacken titanium scales for knife handles and the like. You won't find a good, consistent blackening technique that's suitable for mass-production in public discussion, because all the finishing houses that have worked something out keep it as a guarded trade secret. Or that was the state of things a decade ago, how time flies.

I agree that it's probably a cleaning solution reaction. Find out what the patient is using- my gut-impulse guess is something to do with fluoride compounds from toothpaste/mouthwash, but that isn't based on much.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Aren’t titanium frames normally a bit darker?

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Yea the titanium frames generally are a bit darker. But this one is definitely darker than when it was originally delivered.

Attached is the picture we got from the doctor.
Notice you can see the mesh work under the acrylic and the metal is not as dark.

I feel confident this is something the patient is using to clean the partial with. I didn’t know if anyone knew what type of chemical is the likely candidate for this. We don’t always get the “truth” from the patient/doctor but I’ll report back anything I learn.

Attachments

• A1CB6879-C4A6-43D1-97C7-09F723272431.jpeg
    A1CB6879-C4A6-43D1-97C7-09F723272431.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 20
F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
Look into chlorine- does the user have a pool and/or is the drinking water heavily chlorinated?

That’s the only thing I’ve heard regarding Ti discoloration

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Oh yeah, chlorine is another candidate, didn't think about it coming from the water itself.
Titanium + any halogens = exciting things happening, really. My money is on a halogen, definitely. Chlorine or fluorine are the likely culprits, but it's conceivable someone could try to sterilize an appliance with OTC bromine or iodine-based solutions. Bromine is also interchangeable with chlorine for water treatment purposes, but I don't think it's frequently used for that.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with titanium frameworks turning black over time? I’m assuming this is likely a oxidation possibly due to a cleaning solution the patient is using. Unsure at the moment curious if anyone else has seen this and has any input?
howdy James!
peroxides! thats your answer. someone somewhere along the line is using something with peroxides in it. peroxide reacts with metals and will tarnish them. i bet your patient is using a denture cleaner with peroxides in it.
no one with implants, amalgams, or any metal in their mouth should be using peroxides for cleaning ;) peroxide is an oxidizer and will tarnish metals over time. it doesnt really damage the RPD much unless over long time periods but will make it look terrible and you will have to keep polishing it.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
it could be the patient is disinfecting the denture with a bleach based cleaner or it could be the surgery being all careful and stuff and disinfecting with the incorrect solution.

Top Bottom