Asian Anatomy and contours

Jmvisa

Jmvisa

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am starting a full upper case and the patient is young Asian woman, Can Anyone share some picture of full smile, lateral view and occlusal view of a nice Asian dentition? I know the Distal line angles on the anterior teeth are very prominent, they have kind of a bell shape, but I would like to copy a real smile on my build up.

Thank you,

Juan

user name

user name

Reaction score
Maybe Im showing my ignorance, but is there really a difference between the Races that you can see in tooth morphology?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Yes there is a slight difference, but Asia is a huge region of the world. I wouldn't say there is a universal stereotype that would help you out. Was the Dr. Courteous enough to give you a Pre-op you could take some of the existing line angles and shapes of her natural dentition.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
follow the shape of the arch.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Id love to see some pictures when your done.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Yes there is a slight difference, but Asia is a huge region of the world. I wouldn't say there is a universal stereotype that would help you out. Was the Dr. Courteous enough to give you a Pre-op you could take some of the existing line angles and shapes of her natural dentition.
Communication is essential in our business, so compile some words for me...how would to typify Asian dental anatomy?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Well to sound stereotypical and hopefully not slightly racist. Asian teeth are generally wider/longer in the centrals and more square in shape. The social 6 are generally more pronounced. I am no expert ceramist just how my previous mentor instructed me.

Jmvisa

Jmvisa

Reaction score
Yes JKraver the Dr, send model of the temps and pictures of the temps in the mouth, he actually incorporated some features of the typical Asian dentition and his temps look nice in the mouth, my job is to make my final product better than his temps, copying natural dentition will help me accomplish that.

Maybe Im showing my ignorance, but is there really a difference between the Races that you can see in tooth morphology?

Is not ignorance my friend is that we have so much to learn; Yes they have some specific characteristics, one of them is the one I mentioned in my post, here is a picture, but I would like to have more samples and front view, I have searched the internet but the pictures I see where they are smiling are not close -up and when I try to make larger you can't see anything.

dental_anatomy_shovel-shaped_incisors.jpg

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know it was that different learn something new everyday on here. That's crazy.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know it was that different learn something new everyday on here. That's crazy.
Its not different. Im throwing down on this one. Ive been doing this for a long, long time, and I have worked on many different Races. Most lab folks...even some quite experienced ones would be hard pressed to walk in my lab and be able to identify whether the cases are male or female, much less their ethnicity.

Some of the nicest dental photography is in the 'Quintessence of Dental Technology' books. They have many Asian models through out the years, and you wont find any differences unique to their Race.

I appreciate the passion for our art ant our individuality, but dont draw lines where they dont exist.

If I am proven wrong, Ill accept the lesson.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I defer to you, You are by far more experienced than I am. You are right I could probably not tell the difference between M/F. I appreciate the lesson.

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am starting a full upper case and the patient is young Asian woman, Can Anyone share some picture of full smile, lateral view and occlusal view of a nice Asian dentition? I know the Distal line angles on the anterior teeth are very prominent, they have kind of a bell shape, but I would like to copy a real smile on my build up.

Thank you,

Juan

Buy "Nature's Morphology" by Shigeo Kataoka at Quintessence. The content in that book will help with this case and many others in the future.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Buy "Nature's Morphology" by Shigeo Kataoka at Quintessence. The content in that book will help with this case and many others in the future.
That used to be a very difficult book to get a hold of. For some reason there are several copies available right now. Theyre expensive, but if you ever wanted one or just heard about it, Id pounce on it.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Its 78 dollars on quintpub.com

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I also have been doing this a long time and yes there are race unique characteristics of teeth. Some are easily identifiable, some are subtle. One of the most prominent is the appearance of a 5th cusp on the lower second molar in people of African descent. This is usually associated with a 6th cusp on the lower first molar. Although they are not on all, if they appear they are distinct characteristics of that lineage. As for characteristics of Asian descent, deep lingual concavities, prominent lingual marginal ridges, more triangular than square but the incisal third is more curved to the lingual than others. A member of this board has a great reproduction of a classic Asian descent anterior teeth (facebook
Urban-Lab)

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I defer to those of you who live in culturally diverse locals. Not much variety here in the Green Mountains.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Its 78 dollars on quintpub.com
It was ...when they had it. A new copy now will set you back 2000+ now. Used copies , when available, are easily in the hundreds.

Again, I might be in error. They may have started publishing it again.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
American teeth have very wide buccals.
images

Top Bottom