Anyone using 3shape All Scans?

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
This is the way support said it would work.

First, scan the case.
Then create a new order using digital impression instead of model on object type field and select the model element to activate model builder.
Finally, import and prepare the scans.

I'm going to test it out this afternoon. Will let y'all know...unless someone gets a chance earlier.
Please tell me your results. I'm anxious to do this!

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Please tell me your results. I'm anxious to do this!
Didn't work that easy. When it got to sectioning the die, it filled in the hole where the prep is and covered up the margin. I tried to mark from the inside of the die and go forward. It then thought the neighboring teeth was the prep. Still going to tinker with it and see what I can do.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Didn't work that easy. When it got to sectioning the die, it filled in the hole where the prep is and covered up the margin. I tried to mark from the inside of the die and go forward. It then thought the neighboring teeth was the prep. Still going to tinker with it and see what I can do.
Turns out the scanner had closed the contacts on that case. That's why it filled in the area where the die was. I tried one without that close contact scan and it wouldn't let me select all the data because it came in with the die sectioned completely from the neighboring teeth. hmmmmmm

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Turns out the scanner had closed the contacts on that case. That's why it filled in the area where the die was. I tried one without that close contact scan and it wouldn't let me select all the data because it came in with the die sectioned completely from the neighboring teeth. hmmmmmm
That sounds similar to what has been happening to me. When I open the case in Model Builder, it asks me to trim model, so I do, but as soon as I press OK... the dies disappear! Hmmmmm for sure!

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I was told that it has to be a un-sectioned scan to do this. About to try that way....

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
That sounds similar to what has been happening to me. When I open the case in Model Builder, it asks me to trim model, so I do, but as soon as I press OK... the dies disappear! Hmmmmm for sure!
I got the missing dies and a new error with the unsectioned model...uggghhh

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
why not just scan the models and list them as .STL instead of .DCM - and import them if you're having so much trouble?

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
why not just scan the models and list them as .STL instead of .DCM - and import them if you're having so much trouble?
Maybe having a brain fart, but how do you mean list as .STL?

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I got the missing dies and a new error with the unsectioned model...uggghhh
Too Bad... I had that thought and was going to try the same thing tomorrow... an un-sectioned scan.
I thought it would suck if that was the only way because having to define the margins on a solid cast would be close to impossible with most cases. This shouldn't be this difficult, particularly with a $7000 module!I'm on a mission now... will get to the bottom of this. I have tried scanning in STL output also, but Model Builder seems to accept DCM's only. At least that's what my error message said.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Maybe having a brain fart, but how do you mean list as .STL?
After, completing the order you can go to FILE on the scan page and change the scan output to STL. You will need to close and reopen for the change to take place.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I have scanned in STL output, but Model Builder seems to accept DCM's only. All I want is to print a model with removable dies from a stone cast and trimmed die scan. I know how to do this with an impression scan but the impression scans I've got are not very good.
If you have done this...PLEASE give me a step-by-step beginning with scanning a solid cast and trimmed dies in STL. Once that is completed... What next? I'm stumped. Look forward to seeing your reply. Thanks

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
as i've previously said... at once point when i was using a full trial dongle, i had no problems inputing any file type into model builder... I think you may have all scans but not the full version.

I was playing with all sorts of STL files from CT scans and the like, and had zero problem.

Currently I don't have that, so I am unable to try a step by step for you right now.

Therefore I implore you to double check that you have the top tier version of model builder

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
as i've previously said... at once point when i was using a full trial dongle, i had no problems inputing any file type into model builder... I think you may have all scans but not the full version.

I was playing with all sorts of STL files from CT scans and the like, and had zero problem.

Currently I don't have that, so I am unable to try a step by step for you right now.

Therefore I implore you to double check that you have the top tier version of model builder
I took a look at my at my dongle. Here's what I have... Capture.PNG

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
hmm...that's the way mine had looked, weird it's not working for you

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
hmm...that's the way mine had looked, weird it's not working for you
This whole thing is getting weird... and a bit annoying. I have a call into 3shape and hope hear back on Monday.
Question for you... When you had it, did you attempt to scan sectioned stone casts and dies to make models in Model Builder like I am trying to do, or were you working with impression scans?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
This whole thing is getting weird... and a bit annoying. I have a call into 3shape and hope hear back on Monday.
Question for you... When you had it, did you attempt to scan sectioned stone casts and dies to make models in Model Builder like I am trying to do, or were you working with impression scans?

I was working with everything.... because i was trying to achieve proper decimation from inverted CT scans.

now that i'm thinking more about it... i think it did fuse the sectioned scans together, and then i extracted the preps. hmm... did you try with an unsectioned model?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if you scan a sectioned model, then be sure to complete the final step, located in the Save and Close stage: close holes on preparation.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Maybe if you work with a model scan this is a sectioned STL or DCM ( i,am no 3 shaper)that means every stump is saved in world its like a normal 3 unit bridge in SLM selektive laser melting its one part !!! same bridge in normal STL are 5 parts two crowns two connectors and one pontic but its only one STL both times but you can see it only with magics for example.So if you have a sectioned scan maybe the modelbuilder can not assign the parts.?????!!!!!!