Anybody know what causes this?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Trios and 3Shape, seems to be a nice combination ;) :)
Good thing I can afford that $15/day license fee.
Happy Dance GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Here’s a screenshot of a Straumann nc alignment from a Trios scan. I can assure you this scan body has been used more than 10 times.
View attachment 44265
I’ve seen the same drs re use scan bodies over and over with no issue, so I agree with you, when I mentioned the whole ten times thing, I was just repeating back what straumann told me this morning, but I agree with you that doesn’t really add up. I still am not immediately discounting the autoclave theory though. I was a dental assistant before I was a lab tech so I can confidently say there’s a lot of assistants that just strait do not pay attention to things lol. I could def see an assistant putting something on the wrong cycle. Plus there’s a lot of dentists out there that are cheap and are still using autoclaves from like 40 years ago, that don’t have preset settings for heat sensitive stuff, I could easily see an assistant throwing a scan body in there with everything else not thinking twice about it. Who knows though, seems there’s probably a couple different things that could have happened, I imagine the new scan body will fix the issue, but the drs on vacation now so for now this mystery is on hold.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I’ve seen the same drs re use scan bodies over and over with no issue, so I agree with you, when I mentioned the whole ten times thing, I was just repeating back what straumann told me this morning, but I agree with you that doesn’t really add up. I still am not immediately discounting the autoclave theory though. I was a dental assistant before I was a lab tech so I can confidently say there’s a lot of assistants that just strait do not pay attention to things lol. I could def see an assistant putting something on the wrong cycle. Plus there’s a lot of dentists out there that are cheap and are still using autoclaves from like 40 years ago, that don’t have preset settings for heat sensitive stuff, I could easily see an assistant throwing a scan body in there with everything else not thinking twice about it. Who knows though, seems there’s probably a couple different things that could have happened, I imagine the new scan body will fix the issue, but the drs on vacation now so for now this mystery is on hold.
What does the rest of the scan look like? Are there holes and artifacts? Medit scanners are notorious for these inaccuracies and this is where my suspicion lies.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
What does the rest of the scan look like? Are there holes and artifacts? Medit scanners are notorious for these inaccuracies and this is where my suspicion lies.
There’s some scatter but the scan isn’t too horrible. Not the best obviously, but I don’t think it’s that. I’ve definitely seen before where that sort of stuff happens and scan bodies won’t align because of it. The most glaring example I can think of is I see CS connect where the scanners stitch stuff together badly, and I’ve seen where the scan body is stitched down the middle, so the scan body will be wider than it’s supposed to be because of that. It doesn’t seem like some sort of scanning inaccuracy here though. The dr has recently sent other scan body scans that have worked fine through medit, and what’s weird about it is that the scan is a clean tenth mm wider than it should be throughout the entire length of the scan body. I’d expect if it was some sort of scanning innacuracy it wouldn’t be as clean as it is. Plus I had him rescan the patient twice while the pt was in the chair.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Could you email me the scan? I'd like to mess around with it

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Good thing I can afford that $15/day license fee.
Happy Dance GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
$15 a day makes $5475 a year Afraid ...that amount buys mucho Beer down here amigo
zeo on the beach.png
( Yeah, I've shamelessly used an AI generated pic., to accentuate the context...lol...)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
20 working days / month x15$/ day x12
For smaller 1-2 person labs like us, the time savings make up for it, for us, who are doing everything ourselves compared to bigger labs where an employee is doing the stitching, repairing, meshing, pulling their hair out etc.

I tend to think in terms of "in a month", that is what, 1-2 units in a month and is it worth it? And in this more extreme case (not involving the issue here),yes, my time and sanity is worth it for the workflow that I use :)

Top Bottom