Another dumb question. File transfers

user name

user name

Reaction score
When sending files for milling, is something like FileZilla what everyone uses? Ive only sent to one center and there site is really easy, so I haven't had to 'learn' anything.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Filezilla sure. Dropbox. Coreftp. Lots of great softwares. Milling sites really need something more industrious than freeware. A simple apache server on an external hard disk is in my view the absolute minimum.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Most centers have it integrated in their web page making it super easy to upload...

user name

user name

Reaction score
Most centers have it integrated in their web page making it super easy to upload...
That's where Im lost. I have only sent to Compartis and CMC, and it was simple. I don't understand the part about having to use filezilla or dropbox, etc.

I feel like I need to start attending a meeting. "Hi. Im Bob. Im a f--'n 'tard".

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
That's where Im lost. I have only sent to Compartis and CMC, and it was simple. I don't understand the part about having to use filezilla or dropbox, etc.

I feel like I need to start attending a meeting. "Hi. Im Bob. Im a f--'n 'tard".
Put it on a card, and mail it. :)

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Dropbox is a breeze (install, drag-n-drop),.ftp sites have no advantage I can see, unless it's at the milling end. I have used many others, and prefer this for it's quick launch and ease of defining who can view the files. Not sure how secure it is (think HIPA),so I never include Dr/patient info except in "code". Go to dropbox.com and see. Also easy to use for pic files from docs.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

In circumstances where you are not dealing with a large volume lab you use a program like filezilla or drop box to facilitate the communication of your cam data. You transfer a file to them that you designed. Since most email servers disallow the attachment of files over a certain size or disallow all but image files you need a method of communicating your cam data. Dropbox lets you store the file on your computer and invites your mill to come and copy it in the way they deem best.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score

When they complicate your life to get a 3rd party software to facilitate file transfer...just walk away IMO. That means they're too cheap to implement a decent solution...next thing is to expect shortcuts in them products from such centers... ( could be exceptions of course ;), haven't dealt with too many myself...)

user name

user name

Reaction score
When they complicate your life to get a 3rd party software to facilitate file transfer...just walk away IMO. That means they're too cheap to implement a decent solution...next thing is to expect shortcuts in them products from such centers... ( could be exceptions of course ;), haven't dealt with too many myself...)
I don't mind learning something new, I just need to ask questions. problem is...I don't know the questions. I don't even play video games, so everything digital is a foreign language to me. Just for curiosity, I downloaded FileZilla and dropbox to see what things look like. Im clueless. When I got this scanner, the trainer showed me how to send them the files. That's the extent of my knowledge.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
FTP transfer software just uses the same, already familar Microsoft Windows tools of dragging, copying, pasting, creating, deleting, renaming, etc...(click-click! Shift or Ctrl)

The directory "tree" is same as you PC's layout, as it appears on-screen with directories,and subdirectory. One on left, One on right.....slide things back and fourth to transfer.

It's that easy. You can delete a case you sent by mistake, or rename a shade of something in-que, you can see when someone grabs your files and moves them.

No need to call and ask if someone received your file, because you can see it on the server the FTP software is connected to.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Just ask'em to do a walkthrough with you via TeamViewer or similar... upload a case together, modify/delete it... until you get the picture. Like Scott said, is not difficult at all...only takes a bit of practice. :)

user name

user name

Reaction score
FTP transfer software just uses the same, already familar Microsoft Windows tools of dragging, copying, pasting, creating, deleting, renaming, etc...(click-click! Shift or Ctrl)

The directory "tree" is same as you PC's layout, as it appears on-screen with directories,and subdirectory. One on left, One on right.....slide things back and fourth to transfer.

It's that easy. You can delete a case you sent by mistake, or rename a shade of something in-que, you can see when someone grabs your files and moves them.

No need to call and ask if someone received your file, because you can see it on the server the FTP software is connected to.
I swapped notes with Lauren; she said to call Meg and she'll get my head straight.
Gru is going to give me a tutor on dropbox.

Ill get up to speed eventually. Im surprised that Shane hasn't been chiming in. Is he ok?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It all only data my freind one step at a time it is like learning to walk all over again.

Top Bottom