Another 3Shape snafu, any help?

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I have four installations (out of 35) that started exhibiting sluggish system response times on their 3Shace scan/design workstations. Shortly after this 3SHape started reporting "Thread creation errors" and would prevent the user from doing anything at all.

The problem was tracked to a symptom: As long as DentalManager is up and running, it is placing 2kb temp files in the recycle bin at a rate of one or two every second. The Recycle bin is filling up and after it gets 40, 50, 60...100 thousand items in it, it starts to affect the entire system. We can treat the symptom for now (empty the trash every hour or so,) but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what have you done about it?

It only seems to happen on Windows 7 machines but I have duplicate hardware/software combinations that have no problems at all. A clean install of the entire 3Shape system does not help.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
memory leak in dental manager? i'm not surprised. does this happen with earlier software versions ? i really am tied to my own small system running 2.6.9.5, what version are you sporting ?

i desinged an 8 unit coping case one time way back when 2.5.5.6 or so was released; we encountered the "out of memory" error due to the scanner hardware crashed.

i wonder if its when dental manager is running or when scanserver is running and the scanner has crashed.

constant USB plugging-in and unplugging can cause the scanner to destabilize and lose calibration.

hope i made sense, sorry if i cant help much.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Didn't notice it until we started moving from 2.6.9.6 to 2.6.9.8, and it's definitely DentalManager, nothing else is running but the OS. The tmp files would even restore to: C:\ProgramData\3Shape\DentalManager\Temp. If open a window onto the recycle bin, empty it, then start DentalManager, I can watch the tmp file fill up. I can even watch the graph in taskmanager drop off and climb while I stop and restart the app. Pretty annoying :mad:

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
2.6.9.11 is the current version we are running - I gather .6 and .8 were supereceded pretty quick so they may have had known issues

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
.11 does it too. I'm downgrading one of the systems at the moment, back to .6 - we never experienced the problem when .6 was installed - we'll see.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
but at another installation it did not. .6 and recycle bin still going nuts. Clean install too! :frusty:

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you might have faulty or leaky SSD or RAM sticks.

i'm not too sure how to fix the SSD's (if youre using them) but google MEMTEST and you will find a program you can allow to run overnight (which will interrupt normal booting) and detect faults in your RAM.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
I'm running 2.6.9.10 on to different installs, one with windows 7 and one with XP. I'm getting temp files dumped into the recycling on the windows machine and the dental manager is running SLOW. I'm not getting as many files dumped there though. Maybe 20-30 a day? I'll keep an eye on it and see how many today.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
well, I don't know. I'm dumping only 10 or so temp files nto recycling a day. system is still slow and seems to be getting worse. I feel like there has to be a windows 7 option that needs to be switched on or off somewhere. Or install xp.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i seem to be dumping 2 temps, a dcm an stl, a 3ml file and a text file for each case.

could it be dumping scan calculations? win 7 32bit here, system 2.6.9.5

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I've been upgrading a number of 2009 systems to 2010 over the last month and it has been happening on the 2009 systems as well. So, it's an OS, or atleast a combination 3Shape/OS issue.

Also, some installations have only dumped nine or ten thousand files over the course of a year. Some are doing it in a couple of days. Some, not at all. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the size of the installation, or the number of parts we're making at each site. :confused:

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"or atleast a combination 3Shape/OS issue."

been running 3 win7 64bit systems for a good while now (not with 3shape) and there still flying along.

id say its the 3shape software combo.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
"or atleast a combination 3Shape/OS issue."

been running 3 win7 64bit systems for a good while now (not with 3shape) and there still flying along.

id say its the 3shape software combo.

3Shape/Win7, not a Win7 issue?. Yeah,There also has to be some setting somewhere, I would suspect in Windows that is playing into this.

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
just clarifying that its not normal for win7 to bog down after a while.

*cough* Vista anyone.

there some software/driver/OS combo going on there, its not an inherent problem with the OS itsself.

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
"3Shape/Win7, not a Win7 issue?. Yeah,There also has to be some setting somewhere, I would suspect in Windows that is playing into this. "

if you do a search online about optimzing windows 7 you should find some guides on how to make a lean os which will take you through all the services and features you can disable. (you probably know this already)

Ive done this for two machine, 1 in a dedicated virtual pinball cabinet, and one for a Home Theater PC, but i dont remember comming across any services or features that would cause win7 to junk loads of files.

Last edited:
JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not gonna spend the time to go that far for sure. At the moment what I have done is tell the OS, not to trash anything, but always permanently delete. Stupid work-around, especially since I have sites with no problems like this at all, but something had to be done.

Thanks for your help!
Jay

E

e...w...h

Reaction score
write a script to empty the file every 30mins.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
good thinking, a simple little .bat file would sort that out.