Angulated Screw Channels

L

Labslip

Reaction score
I sent out a bridge last week that used angulated screw channel abutments over implants. It was a new concept for the doctor but she agreed it was a good plan for this specific patient. She called later while the patient was in the chair. Everything fit nicely, esthetics were great. She'd hand tightened the bridge in place with no problem. When she went to torque the screws in place, one went well and she says she couldn't get the second screw torqued. The driver kept slipping.
Straumann implants, Straumann ASC driver, Straumann torque wrench, Preat dynamic abutments. The master model was verified with a verification jig.
She eventually released the patient with one abutment torqued and the other hand tightened. She'll see him again in a couple weeks. I had another doctor have the same problem about 2 years ago.
Any insights?

K

Kongo-Otto

Reaction score
I sent out a bridge last week that used angulated screw channel abutments over implants. It was a new concept for the doctor but she agreed it was a good plan for this specific patient. She called later while the patient was in the chair. Everything fit nicely, esthetics were great. She'd hand tightened the bridge in place with no problem. When she went to torque the screws in place, one went well and she says she couldn't get the second screw torqued. The driver kept slipping.
Straumann implants, Straumann ASC driver, Straumann torque wrench, Preat dynamic abutments. The master model was verified with a verification jig.
She eventually released the patient with one abutment torqued and the other hand tightened. She'll see him again in a couple weeks. I had another doctor have the same problem about 2 years ago.
Any insights?
Hi Labslip, we have the exact problem. With Straumann and Medentika ASC. We found out that with an angulation of more then 10° the screwdriver connects with only 2 screwhead sluts. Sorry dont know the right word for it. Labs dont have that problem cause they use the final screw for glueing the abutment to the tibase without using the 35Ncm. What was the angulation of your bridge channels?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hi Labslip, we have the exact problem. With Straumann and Medentika ASC. We found out that with an angulation of more then 10° the screwdriver connects with only 2 screwhead sluts. Sorry dont know the right word for it. Labs dont have that problem cause they use the final screw for glueing the abutment to the tibase without using the 35Ncm. What was the angulation of your bridge channels?
Perfect words.
A lot of guys would be happy to connect with 2 screwhead sluts.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
What milling center mills out custom ASC abutments?
Today, I was told, by a large west coast milling center, that the ASC custom abutment comes in two pieces. The Ti base and a cast custom head, that I would have to cement together. Is that information correct?

What cement would one use for this?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
What milling center mills out custom ASC abutments?
Today, I was told, by a large west coast milling center, that the ASC custom abutment comes in two pieces. The Ti base and a cast custom head, that I would have to cement together. Is that information correct?

What cement would one use for this?
Atlantis and Tru Abutment both can fabricate custom abutments with ASC. I've restored over a thousands cases with Atlantis ASC successfully. IMO the solutions that the major implant companies have, which you described, are terrible. I am not going to add in a second cementation junction and increase the degree of difficulty on an implant case when there are perfectly good options available from Atlantis and TruAbutment.

L

Labslip

Reaction score
We often slightly angle the screw channel to better position the access hole without using ASC components. The only time we go full ASC is when we need a lot of angulation to get where we need to go. I don't recall the exact angulation on the case I asked about, but I'm sure it's in the neighborhood of 30 degrees.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
We often slightly angle the screw channel to better position the access hole without using ASC components. The only time we go full ASC is when we need a lot of angulation to get where we need to go. I don't recall the exact angulation on the case I asked about, but I'm sure it's in the neighborhood of 30 degrees.
Do you mind telling what version design software you are using? I used to be able to angle non angulated Ti bases in 2016 version of exocad when I scanned the ti base but with 2023 version I cannot.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Have your distributor reactivate it for you. It is simply on a line of code. Cant remember where to find it

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
We're using Rijeka v3.1-8200/64
That's what I use.
The only way I am able to angle the screw channel is when I use an ASC Ti base from the library. If I scan a Ti base I don't get an option to angle the screw channel
Can you please share how you are able to angle the channel on a non ASC Ti base.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Not sure if this works with scanned tibases, but this is the line for angled screw channels. If it's not there it could be added it to your settings.xml in the CADapp/config folder( at your own risk...save a copy of the original) ;)
Or, you could ask your reseller to add it for you. It will show up in under the "Advanced" tab with an option of being draggable to different degrees.
ASC-xml.jpg

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Not sure if this works with scanned tibases, but this is the line for angled screw channels. If it's not there it could be added it to your settings.xml in the CADapp/config folder( at your own risk...save a copy of the original) ;)
Or, you could ask your reseller to add it for you. It will show up in under the "Advanced" tab with an option of being draggable to different degrees.
View attachment 44623
Thank you! I will ask my reseller to do it for me. I am glad it's a possibility.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Have you tried to angle it on a scanned abutment at the "scew chennel definition" stage? You can drag to an angle there.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Yeah, I just checked doesnt work there. You could just set the scanned ti-base up as a regular crown prep, designe the top, then just subtract the bolt attachment through the designed crown top at the angled position you want. That's how I do it when I scan a ti-base or abutment..

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Has anyone used the nobel adapter for zirconia, its a very short ti base that sends tabs into the zirconia when the screw is tightened?
Vroam

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I just checked doesnt work there. You could just set the scanned ti-base up as a regular crown prep, designe the top, then just subtract the bolt attachment through the designed crown top at the angled position you want. That's how I do it when I scan a ti-base or abutment..
I saw youtube videos on this technique. I'll investigate.

Top Bottom