Always fascinated...

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Had a ceramist fly in for a Saturday morning interview. Supposed to be at the lab at 8 am. Finally walks in at 8:20 (first red flag). With his brother, who asks to stay for the interview (second red flag). Ok, odd, but I decide to roll with it. We sit in the office and talk about expectations for a few minutes then head back to the lab so dude can build up and contour a couple of cases (3units). Brother tags a long and starts examining some pans in the ceramics room. So, I asked him what did he do for a living? "Oh, I'm a cad technician down the street for one of your biggest competitors." Really? So I told him to leave, which he did after a little posturing. (Third red flag)

Dude proceeds to take 4 hours to complete 2cases (2centrals on one and a molar). Ceramics is very artful and pretty but morphology is off - over contoured. So I tell him I need some time to think. In the meantime, I ask him to provide an address where I can send a check to reimburse him for the flight. He gets this look on his face and says "I want money now". Sorry I don't have that much cash on me and I don't have any checks. I explain that the bookkeeper writes all the checks and she will be in on Monday. Give me an address and I have the check to you ASAP.

"You don't like me. You not going to pay me".

Huh?

At this point I kinda lost it a little. He says I'm "unprepared". I say "you were 20 minutes late; you brought a competitor into my lab without notification of who he really was; and you took 4 hours to do 3units AND I'm unprepared? I told him he needed to leave immediately. Not used to have my integrity questioned.

An hour later I get a text "I hope you liked my work. Looking forward to hearing from you."

Sure. Sit by the phone and wait....

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Tell him to go to work with his brother down the street!

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of stuff similar to your experience over the years. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Being a little older, I guess my expectations are outdated now as to how a prospective employee should handle themselves. I seem to get phone calls a lot these days to see if I need help. If I were needing a job, I would actually go to the lab in person and leave a resume or try and talk to the employer if time permitted. I would also be willing to work for a trial period of time and if at the end of that period he felt my skills and work ethics were acceptable he could pay me. If not then don't pay me...just tell me what I need to correct. Most prospective employees don't realize that employers are making a sacrifice of their time and money during this process too.

Too many "Prima Donnas" around today.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
damn, and I can't find a job where I actually get paid... this is awesome
why did I become a tech again?

Leaving Austin for an interview in Lompoc CA tomorrow morning.. give it another shot :)

F

fmalenizy

Reaction score
Hi am looking for a position in ur lab if u still need one i have 12 years of experience and one last thing am from Egypt ?! #?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
sounds similar to some of the stories i have about applicants....im sure lots of us owners can throw in a story or three! lol

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Had this guy come in for a working interview. Gave him a disposable lab coat. He cut off the sleeves cause it was too hot. Then stapled the sleeves back on cause he was too cold.
Who does that at a job interview?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Had this guy come in for a working interview. Gave him a disposable lab coat. He cut off the sleeves cause it was too hot. Then stapled the sleeves back on cause he was too cold.
Who does that at a job interview?
Someone who doesn't want to work at my lab.

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
that's nothin. the biggest competitor to us in this province called us up under the guide of being part of the regulatory board demanding to know how many RDT's were employed and in what positions.

after a i'll get back to you, immediately placed a call with the regulatory board and found out what was what.

noob.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
AssJack changed one of my porcelain firing programs while he was here. Turned the vacuum off. Had to rebuild a 6-unit. Grrrrr.......

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
AssJack changed one of my porcelain firing programs while he was here. Turned the vacuum off. Had to rebuild a 6-unit. Grrrrr.......
Hopefully for him you don't catch him on the street.Boxing

stonefly

stonefly

Reaction score
I am a lab owner of 25 years who really does not like this trade but it 's what I do. Does anyone think it is viable to be a traveling tech that would be willing to fill in at a lab in whatever position... C&B, for lets say 1-4 months while that owner either waits for their tech who is on leave to return or is looking for new help. Would you be willing to pay a 50 something sometimes grumpy but conscientious and slow ish insured incorporated contractor short term. Could I make a living traveling? Thoughts?... Thanks

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

Sounds like he might have to take a bus back home.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
If you have an old school oven I could see that happening. But if you have an screen with a layout of the parameters, always take a peek at the high temp and hold time every time you start a program.

A

aqdental

Reaction score
l don't understand why you need to reimburse the flight?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Sho
If you have an old school oven I could see that happening. But if you have an screen with a layout of the parameters, always take a peek at the high temp and hold time every time you start a program.
sholda coulda woulda...