a day in the life

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I prefer my emergence profile on implants to look more like
the mesial of that #30 molar (almost straight up for first segment).
LCM

P

paulg100

Reaction score
not sure if its your camera but whats with the black specs everywhere on the close up pics??

looking at the state of your bench i would not be at all suprised that its dirt in the ceramic.

other than that things look ok.

Id watch how much Deep Dentine / opacious dentine your using on your crowns though, that molar specifically, its killing the vitality.

Dont use DD at all on all-ceramic stuff now, im mixing dentine and cervical translucent for neck area to INCREASE translucency. Not kill it with high opacity.

Even with metal i dont use OP dentine on necks now either. Crowns look so much more vital and more like natural teeth like that.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE
Implant restorations are subjected to more force than tooth borne restoration due to the fact there is not PDL to allow things to compress. Having a free end restoration with a thimble style coping as shown in the first set of pictures is a guarantee that the porcelain will fail.

Techs working with implants as stated should never ever use anything metal to hold onto the interface that goes into the implant, this can and does mar the non oxidizing gold alloy very easily. Along with that techs should understand that this interface should NEVER be blasted with anything including glass beads!

Just stacking your glass out of occlusion is not the answer, as premature off axis loads in excursive movements will not be replicated on your articulator this way.

OK thats enough for now,[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!

now please note that the homostat's have a rubber band LOOSELY tied around it to keep it lightly closed. 6th set of pics.. I NEVER clamp down on the implants. I agree that blasting the base of the abutments is bad, I was told by the owner that his accounts prefer them "shiney ' so we glass bead them....

Next please take a look at the occlusal markings on the bicuspid and cuspid. I believe that is balanced occlusion that is in contact.8th set of pics....

as far as the metal.. I am handed copings and told to opaque and stack.

again thank you an please continue to discuss.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
If I was your boss I would hit the roof if I saw you use a metal hemostat on the abutment base....and then you vibrate it?

Either use plastic hemos or add a friggin' handle!

they make plastic hemo's?? thanks! friggin..:rolleyes:

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Scott,

If you are in your 30s...then you need to drop the Porc. brush and learn some CAD/CAM.

It may be a decent job today.... but in Ten Years from now...??

Just a heads up on the Dental job thingy. I loved making teeth and started my first Nine years of Porcelain work running my own lab (Worked for other labs first decade in Dentistry). This was my dream I was working for! I stopped dead in my tracks in 2006 and took a turn to the Right down a new road.

Threw out almost all of my Twenty years+ of hand waxing and stacking porc....Kinda sad to my parents and me...but that's the direction the world is going. I try not to spend time doing anything that is being phased out. I'm jumping ahead.

Your Porcelain work is fine, now go learn something else.

Last edited:
disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
Scott,

If you are in your 30s...then you need to drop the Porc. brush and learn some CAD/CAM.

It may be a decent job today.... but in Ten Years from now...??

Your Porcelain work is fine, now go learn something else.

working on it..kinda want to wait and see what happens with scanners and wax printers. I want a 3M scanner with 3shape software......:cool:

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"It may be a decent job today.... but in Ten Years from now...??"

i have a good 25 years left of my career. Ill bet $$ ill be retired before high end anterior ceramics is replaced by cad/cam.

last article i read was quoting 15-20 years development left for printable ceramics, then how many years for the tech to mature?

for mainstream stuff though, yeah forget it.

The emax multi ingots are gonna wipe a ton of layered mainstream crowns of the map for starters.

yes high end is a small part of the market, but the more prolific cad/cam becomes, the fewer and fewer techs there will be that ever have the training to offer that kind of work.. so its a win situation providing you can produce the goods.

theres no doubt you can make alot more $$ servicing the mainstream cad/cam market though, providing you have the start up capital.

Sitting here making little peices of custom art work is not scalable or that profitable. But id rather earn less money and do something i enjoy than pushing buttons on a peice of cad software all day.

The thought of doing that for the next 25 years gives me a headache already, and its not because i hate IT, im more qualified in IT than dentistry.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Apply Art and your skills to CAD/CAM.

Don't stop at Dentistry. Go for it all!

Make something and sell it. Or just offer service of some type?

I started making Remote Controlled Hobby parts for Adult kids on my Dental stuff.

Great, if not better money and it's fun. R/C Helicoptors, Cars, scale train parts.

Then, we go into all sorts of directions.

It is what you make it! We have helped with injection toy stuff, videogame weapons and char. All that stuff needs to be prototyped many times before mass production. We may even begin to mill the final injection moulds for small parts. Why not?

Last edited:
al6spap

al6spap

Reaction score
"
Sitting here making little peices of custom art work is not scalable or that profitable. But id rather earn less money and do something i enjoy than pushing buttons on a peice of cad software all day.
:top:

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
"It may be a decent job today.... but in Ten Years from now...??"

i have a good 25 years left of my career. Ill bet $$ ill be retired before high end anterior ceramics is replaced by cad/cam.

last article i read was quoting 15-20 years development left for printable ceramics, then how many years for the tech to mature?

for mainstream stuff though, yeah forget it.

The emax multi ingots are gonna wipe a ton of layered mainstream crowns of the map for starters.

yes high end is a small part of the market, but the more prolific cad/cam becomes, the fewer and fewer techs there will be that ever have the training to offer that kind of work.. so its a win situation providing you can produce the goods.

theres no doubt you can make alot more $$ servicing the mainstream cad/cam market though, providing you have the start up capital.

The thought of doing that for the next 25 years gives me a headache already, and its not because i hate IT, im more qualified in IT than dentistry.

Paul - I to have at least 25 yrs left and i agree with everything you said, my only difference of opinion is "Sitting here making little peices of custom art work is not scalable or that profitable. But id rather earn less money and do something i enjoy than pushing buttons on a peice of cad software all day."
while i do really enjoy makeing teeth, i want o make $ makeing teeeth and if that means pressing buttons on cad system for a good part of my day than so be it- like i said just my humble opinion

Greg Amendola MDT

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
looks pretty good man. personal stone preferences aside, your crowns look pretty good.

if your margins are consistently below the gumline, why do you want a micro metal collar? for plating?

I use a Renfert wet tray

No, because when I polish the marginal areas to smooth the junction I expose the opaque. There is no way to avoid this unless you leave the margin bulky. putting opaque against the tissue WILL cause it to recede below the margin of the crown. as will a over bulky margin..Ie: small collar
:)