3shape Model Builder

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I have recently started using Model Builder for creating the models for our 3M, Trios, and Cadent cases. I am seeing quite a few cases that have holes and distortion on them. This really doesn't bother me, unless it's on the margin area. I have heard about using a 3rd party cleanup software for this. Does anyone have any recommendations? Anything I could do different to fix the missing area or bad scans?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
as with any type of decimation - it doesn't necessarily "fix" the problem as much as just "not" make it a problem during production. Geomagic or Rhino is a great place to start. From there - there are all sorts of custom Python scripts that you could purchase from software companies to meet your needs.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
as with any type of decimation - it doesn't necessarily "fix" the problem as much as just "not" make it a problem during production. Geomagic or Rhino is a great place to start. From there - there are all sorts of custom Python scripts that you could purchase from software companies to meet your needs.

WHAT WHAT WHAT

omg they killed Kenny!

J

Jurim

Reaction score
I am having issues with the antagonist model becoming corrupted in the final stage of model builder. Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
are you getting that 0 Facet is Nil error? - screenshot so we know what it is doing. (or swing by! I'm sure Joe Apap would love to say hi)

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I've gotten that error once. I believe I adjusted where the model was trimmed and it went away. I've noticed a lot more holes on the 3M cases. I work around them, but the 3shape margin marking on the Cadent models is horrible. Either right on the edge of the margin or it spazzes and gets all jagged down the side of the die. So far, Trios scans are killing it! No problem what so ever with those.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we do iTero all day long, i also see the spazzed out margins, but there doesn't seem to be any problems with the doctor. Ironically the test file for being trios ready that i got from 3shape had massive problems and had holes everywhere....

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Just finished my trios certification a few minutes ago. Model builder seems pretty straight forward. I'm dealing with an ideal scan I'm sure;) I just wish I could close off the bottom of the model in the model builder software. Was going to mill it for the hell of it;)

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i've milled my own dies before lol

C

CadGenius41

Reaction score
If you want to mill the model you probably want to set up Order Form for a Solid Model, not Sectioned, go into Model Builder, File and then Virtual Trim settings. Once there go to Model manufactures and uncheck USE VARIABLE THICKNESS. This will produce a Solid Model to Mill.

Attachments

• Variable Thickness.png
    Variable Thickness.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Solid Model.png
    Solid Model.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 44
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
See if CoolHandLuke can help you too. He's really good with 3Shape! Not doubting anyone else that has posted, just saying he's another great resource.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
we do iTero all day long, i also see the spazzed out margins, but there doesn't seem to be any problems with the doctor. Ironically the test file for being trios ready that i got from 3shape had massive problems and had holes everywhere....

I guess it's just how Itero is. I can't stand the margin marking software. The fact that you can change the margin line from what Itero interpreted to where it should be and it still shows the areas that Itero marked in the software. I've always pushed doctors away from that system, just because it is so problematic in the lab. I prefer 3M or Trios because of the integration, but still get a lot of holes with 3M. Trios has really blown my mind. The scans are so crisp and no holes so far. I'm surprised you had issues with the Trios Ready case. The file I received was almost perfect.

Here is what I see a lot. The buccal margin where we mark and then you can see where they interpreted the margin line.
upload_2014-1-20_13-58-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-20_13-58-5.png
    upload_2014-1-20_13-58-5.png
    872.9 KB · Views: 35
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we have had great success with the iTero - and have done close to 480 modeless cases to date. I see the problem you have, and i rarely see that with my files... sometimes, but that would be due to the doctor missing data, not so much iTero

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
thanks for the compliment Kent, but this issue goes deeper than i can resolve. iTero dies are incredibly hard to mark properly, and lose a TON of data when you Scan a model. apart from setting the point spacer down to its lowest value, and going over the edge with a fine zoom, you arent going to get a properly set auto-margin, ever.

as to holes in the margin, two options exist - sculpt-on-die to re-create the data and be somewhat confident in its accuracy, or rescan of the patient. depends how bad the holes are, or how severe the distortions get.

i recommend the second option. training your doctors is always better than fixing errors that should not exist in the first place.

however, if neither of these is of help to you and you are missing an entire section of margin maybe have the iTero scanner checked as to its speed and accuracy. the doctor could well be doing it right, but the scanner be screwing up (maybe because somebody had been using it as an internet portal and managed to bog it down in malware - just an idea)

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Thanks Luke. I will keep that in mind. I have also heard of people using 3rd party software to fix these issues, but that still involves guess work. Training the doctors would be the best, but you know how that goes. Show 10 of them and 2 listen. I would be somewhat happy if it would just auto mark the margin close.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
it might sound better if instead of You talking to the doctors, its Cadent themselves. if you can talk to Cadent and ask them to pay a visit to the doctors to "keep the quality level high"or other such thing, maybe more than 2 will listen. it will all depend on the trainer though. and to be fair, Cadent (if they are the ones making the models) does get a cut of the work. it may be in Cadent's interest to keep their quality low, as to manufacture more models and charge for it.

dunno though, never bought a cadent model.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I agree. I'll see what I can do. I've always been aggravated with Cadent's support. Seems like I have to explain things over and over and the techs I seem to talk to aren't the best with communicating.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
we have had great success with the iTero - and have done close to 480 modeless cases to date. I see the problem you have, and i rarely see that with my files... sometimes, but that would be due to the doctor missing data, not so much iTero

If it's the same doc with missing data, it may be the scanner cable is on it's way out. We had that problem with ours.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i mean, if anything our biggest problem is that the encode abutment is not the same size as the actual encode abutment. iTero dials in a spacer setting on the die, so nothing we make is "tight" as our customers like. (many times we have to resort to scanning the abutment and trying to stitch that to the model.

Other than that, we do notice doctors claiming to have better contacts and occlusions from an itero file (scanned itero model or model-less).

maybe we're just lucky? I see every single iTero case that comes in-house, and unless the doctor didn't ask iTero to model and plotted their own margins, what I get from itero is pretty damn good so far.

Top Bottom