Cerec Acquisition --> 3Shape Design

D

DentalBlast

Reaction score
We are banging our heads against the wall trying to get this to work:

Essentially we are trying to import cases scanned with Sirona Cerec into 3shape using any means that will preserve articulation and margination. We have Sirona inLab software and can export 3shape cases, but the margins are not preserved. I have been advised to use the 3Shape 3rd party inbox feature (additional license) to connect to Sirona Connect Case center and pull the cases that way. But our 3Shape rep just told me the margins are not preserved using this method either.

There *must* be a way to get these cases into 3Shape, right? Or am I fighting a lost cause?

Many thanks for any help and advice!

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Ask your Cerec doctors if they were given a free Cerec connect case center license to give to a lab of their choice. Hopefully they give it to you if they did.
If you regularly get correct margins matched with any io impression then you are lucky. For some reason doctors aren’t good at it. I’ve had a couple say “I have no idea how you mark these margins. I can’t make sense of anything!”

But your doctor Should be able to send .stl through mail or any other transfer right?

D

DentalBlast

Reaction score
So our lab serves only a single large private practice (6 docs, 43 ops, 330 fixed units / mo). Our docs are required to mark their own margins. Even with connect case center, the margins don't transfer. We did recently discover a work around to preserve the margins and articulation of an exported DXD case file. I'll post it here incase anyone needs similar help in the future.

1) Open model via inLab. You must create dies and ditch margins in model builder app. Do not create window or floor.
2) Export model as SINGLE file stl
3) Open single stl in Meshmixer. Use select (shortcut s) tool and double click the couner jaw to select the entire arch. Shortcut key "x" to delete the counter arch. Export (Ctrl+E) active jaw stl. Ctrl-Z to undo delete. Shortcut key "i" to invert selection. Now delete the active jaw and any dies and export the counter jaw .stl
4) Switch to 3shape and create a new order DO NOT SCAN
5) Right click order and import arch scans

This is really the only way we have found to do it. All other ways of importing you lose the margin, articulation or both.

Hope it helps someone and we would love to know of an easier way if one exists!

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
When you export from case connect you can get a PLY output with margins as .xyz files. You can change the xyz files to .pts files and use a generic itero import xml file and trick 3shape into importing the sirona stuff as an itero case. Its a bit tedius, but if you really wanted to it could be easily automated with a basic script.
On the other hand I've been told that the sirona integration does keep the margin lines

D

DentalBlast

Reaction score
When you export from case connect you can get a PLY output with margins as .xyz files. You can change the xyz files to .pts files and use a generic itero import xml file and trick 3shape into importing the sirona stuff as an itero case. Its a bit tedius, but if you really wanted to it could be easily automated with a basic script.
On the other hand I've been told that the sirona integration does keep the margin lines
Thanks for the reply. Our 3Shape rep told me that the margin lines are NOT preserved with the Sirona integration but she is reaching out to her higher ups to be sure.

The Itero trick is interesting and maybe we will give it a try.

Thanks!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
No matter which way you do it you're going to have to mark the margins in 3Shape. It has never transferred over the marked margins from any other software. Just export them from Sirona as STL files and create a new order form in 3Shape.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that? How do you change the .xyz to .pts? I don't see any online file converters for that.

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that? How do you change the .xyz to .pts? I don't see any online file converters for that.
Just literally rename it .pts instead of .xyz. It's just so 3shape recognizes it as the right file to read. you should be able to open a pts file in 3shape viewer and see the margin if you did it correctly.