3shape, DWOS, exocad users

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree at all. Last update was nice improvement. There are some bugs but it's easy to avoid it once you discover it.
I was a 3Shape user for 4 years at previous workplace (D250 and D700) 3Shape is definitely better choice, but DW isn't system just to spit on it.
I do agree it's made for more technically inclined people. Just my 2cents. Cheers from Ottawa
You're welcome to disagree. There are a few DW defenders out there. Understand that my current DW is the $traumann version.:( If it works for you, smile, be happy. My pride wants to defend my $24k investment, but no longer can.

I don't want this thread to devolve into a bash session. I'm seeking information from the 3shape and Exocad users, esp. those who have similar DWOS experience.

Last edited:
Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I realy like the Exocad softwre and have been using it for four months( not to say I am the master, but I am working on it).I like for inctance the margin recognition, the lanten, True smile and many other things than make sense. I did not use 3 shape before so I can not judge it. Exocad, the Stienbechler scanner and the Hyper-dent cam are a great combination in my opinion. One thing I do not like is some terminology that dose not relate to dentition, Or some conflicting teeth numbering systems that add to the confusion. There are ideas that could inhance the system further as far I could see. Thanks

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
At least you have the choice...not so with 3 shape or DW. Sometimes I would rather not have the update because there always seems to be issues...just like you read about on here involving the 3 shape updates. If I have software that is working fine for what I need, then I don't want to be forced to accept an upgrade or be shut down if I don't pay for it. On that rare occasion, if my software doesn't have the capability of designing something, then I have friends who can do it.
This is why I tend to favor the Exocad model.
3shape doesn't force the update on it's customers.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree at all. Last update was nice improvement. There are some bugs but it's easy to avoid it once you discover it.
I was a 3Shape user for 4 years at previous workplace (D250 and D700) 3Shape is definitely better choice, but DW isn't system just to spit on it.
I do agree it's made for more technically inclined people. Just my 2cents. Cheers from Ottawa
ha I wouldn't say "more technically inclined". Maybe someone with more patience.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Additional question:
Do any of the systems allow a "roll-back" of an update to a previous version if you don't like the update?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Additional question:
Do any of the systems allow a "roll-back" of an update to a previous version if you don't like the update?
Gru , I have done this with DWOS . I upgraded and the upgrade was full of bugs and crashed all the time as usual . So I asked a friend of mine who works for DW , to downgrade the system to the previous version which was more stable . I don't know how he did it , but he did it . I suppose it can be done , but it will need the rep to do it .

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Drizzt, thanks for the info. My support told me it could not be done with my system. But then you aren't in the U.S., so maybe you get better results??? What about 3shape and Exo? Can they be "downgraded"?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Drizzt, thanks for the info. My support told me it could not be done with my system. But then you aren't in the U.S., so maybe you get better results??? What about 3shape and Exo? Can they be "downgraded"?

I am afraid I can't answer that , but if I had to guess , I would say they could . If I remember correctly , there were some DLN members that were using 3shape , that were actually using e.g version 2012 after they were upgraded to 2013 because they didn't like it or it had some bugs . (The years were picked randomly)

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
3shape requires an uninstall to roll back I believe.
We use 3shape in our lab and it works great. Might try exocad in the near future for bars etc.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Yes you can roll back an update with Exocad but there has never been a reason to do that. You will never hear any labs using Exocad wanting to do a roll back.... never, never, never..
Once a new Engine build is released in Exocad, its bug free..

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Huh. And I have to pay for my bugs!

Thank you all for your continued input- looking forward to more.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if its of any consolation 3shape has a built-in function to rollback your features for any case; in the order form there is a drop-down box that will switch DentalDesigner to an earlier version. so while you have 2014 installed you can change it to 2012 or 2010 on a whim and be back to 2014 for the next case - all without changing any of the installation.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
if its of any consolation 3shape has a built-in function to rollback your features for any case; in the order form there is a drop-down box that will switch DentalDesigner to an earlier version. so while you have 2014 installed you can change it to 2012 or 2010 on a whim and be back to 2014 for the next case - all without changing any of the installation.
THAT may just be worth its weight in Gold...or Palladium.

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
3shape requires an uninstall to roll back I believe.
We use 3shape in our lab and it works great. Might try exocad in the near future for bars etc.

This is not the case, as CoolHandLuke has mentioned you can switch any case back to a previous version of 3shape in the order form...its very easy to do once you know its there

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
That could really work as a case saver when there's a problem. Sometimes I wonder if updates are put out (or put out early) just because the competition is doing one.
Continued thanks for the info.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if updates are put out (or put out early) just because the competition is doing one.
100000000000% agree

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
That could really work as a case saver when there's a problem. Sometimes I wonder if updates are put out (or put out early) just because the competition is doing one.
generally speaking there isnt much need to go backwards; of late the 2014 software has been admittedly glitchy but if it really bothers you you can always go to the earlier version of 2014 which in my opinion doesnt lock you out of anything spectacular, and works quite well. there are three releases of 2014 and its only the most current that needs the rollback; 2.9.9.0 is the first release of 2014, 2.9.9.1 is the second and i should say the one that works the best for everything. have your supplier install that version and then you will not need to go back to 2012 or 10. ever. at all. but the option will be there nonetheless.

when you do go backwards in the software you only ever go back that software's final release. so while 2013 had 7 versions youll only get to use the 7th one. when we update to 2015 next year we won't get to choose to go to the early 2014 releases, only the final release.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
plus if you do get 3shape i'm always here to help if i can.