3shape, DWOS, exocad users

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a DWOS (aka mental-wings) based system. I was just watching a vid on the 2014 3shape software, and found myself almost sick with envy. What about exo? Iff you have multiple systems or have extensively used multiple systems recently, please comment:
Is DWOS as far behind the others as it appears? What are the current version software pros/cons? Not to be rude in any way, I have old experience, so only recent software version experience is worthwhile. If you only know a single system, I believe we've covered that in other threads. If I missed a thread covering this, please direct me to it. Thank you all in advance.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I've had all 3. I started on 3Shape, and I think that may have colored my opinion of the other two. That being said, I just find the 3Shape interface and capabilities superior. Exocad probably has its merits, but I don't think DWOS is in the same ballpark...

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I have DWOS and Exocad . DWOS is soooo far behind . I feel like I was chained and now I am free with Exocad . It works like a dream !! 3shape has more than both for sure , but I haven't used it so I can't really comment on it .

Exocad compared to DWOS is sooo much easier . I am actually designing teeth with it . With DWOS , I am not so sure , they don't look like teeth . It looks like no actuall dental technicians are involved with its development .

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Thank you both. Please keep the knowledgeable comments coming.
Is 3shape enough better that exo to justify the annual fee?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Thank you both. Please keep the knowledgeable comments coming.
Is 3shape enough better that exo to justify the annual fee?

Judging by the responses, it must not be.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Judging by the responses, it must not be.
Ha!
Truthfully I expected many more responses. Do most only have experience with one system?

Bob Smith

Bob Smith

Reaction score
I've only had experience with one system, and only for 2 weeks . I did however do a fair amount of research and decided to go with 3Shape. My final decision was made after I talked to a friend and ex employee who now works in another state in a large milling lab. He has worked with many systems and his advice was hands down 3shape. I also got the same advice from 2 other lab owners. I'm sure that some of you guys on here can make any system rock but I'm not that guy. I have however in just two weeks learned a great deal and am really enjoying this thing. As for the yearly fee and overall cost I'm not too concerned . I always want "me" to be the weakest link , not my tools. I can control me:) we'll kinda.

labman01

labman01

Reaction score
For me exocad was easy to learn it has a step by step system that guides you through the process. I do everything with exocad, and can't imaging how/why 3shape would be so much better to justify the ball and chain yearly fees.

And for the money(20,000) I got a accurate scanner(7.2 microns),no annual fees($200 a month is for 3shape),and I wouldn't be partnering with a company that would shut me down if I choose not to upgrade. cal.JPG cali3.JPG

Bob Smith

Bob Smith

Reaction score
Yup I've heard nothing but good stuff about exocad.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
The question is, do you want software that is a+ for $200 a month or software that is just a "a" for on demand upgrade for $0 a month? If your big enough

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
To justify 200 than go with 3 shape if not go with exocad . You won't go wrong with either . In my opinion dental wings is not worth considering

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
teravy7u.jpg
this is what I use everyday

C

charles007

Reaction score
Lets not forget there is a charge for Exocad updates and every lab will want to get new updates/ improvements using cad programs..
Don't be fooled into thinking you will never want or need new updates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Lets not forget there is a charge for Exocad updates and every lab will want to get new updates/ improvements using cad programs..
Don't be fooled into thinking you will never want or need new updates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charles, I'm not fooled into thinking I will not want or need new updates, I just like the fact that if I don't update the software it will still work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Oh, I know I'll want updates- but to be able to choose if and when and how much??? What about support though?
The last bunch of DWOS updates seem to have made the system even less stable- lots of errors, lost data, frozen or slow processing, etc.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

At least you have the choice...not so with 3 shape or DW. Sometimes I would rather not have the update because there always seems to be issues...just like you read about on here involving the 3 shape updates. If I have software that is working fine for what I need, then I don't want to be forced to accept an upgrade or be shut down if I don't pay for it. On that rare occasion, if my software doesn't have the capability of designing something, then I have friends who can do it.
This is why I tend to favor the Exocad model.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
At least you have the choice...If I have software that is working fine for what I need, then I don't want to be forced to accept an upgrade or be shut down if I don't pay for it. On that rare occasion, if my software doesn't have the capability of designing something, then I have friends who can do it.
This is why I tend to favor the Exocad model.

That is why I'm leaning slightly toward exocad, but I know people who absolutely love the new 3shape update (2.9.9.1),so it got my attention again.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I was minutes from from making the call to order exo when I decided to go 3shape with my brand new lab. I have a few years of working with 3shape and 3 other systems extensively. I only have experience with 15-20 designs on exo. It never clicked as easily with me as 3shape. 3shape was about 3 designs and I had it, exo never "got" that fealing of confidence. If you have any connections at all to 3shape dealers call them and see if they have any returned scanners. Mine was returned, three months in the original lab were it was hardly used and got a great deal.
But exo is going to be a dream for you as well compared to what you've been through!
Sorry for your dwos, I had the opportunity to learn it on strauman and after 2 cases decided that was a system I wasn't going to waste time learning...so had someone else learn it all :)

blue tooth

blue tooth

Reaction score
The last bunch of DWOS updates seem to have made the system even less stable- lots of errors, lost data, frozen or slow processing, etc.

I wouldn't agree at all. Last update was nice improvement. There are some bugs but it's easy to avoid it once you discover it.
I was a 3Shape user for 4 years at previous workplace (D250 and D700) 3Shape is definitely better choice, but DW isn't system just to spit on it.
I do agree it's made for more technically inclined people. Just my 2cents. Cheers from Ottawa

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree at all. Last update was nice improvement. There are some bugs but it's easy to avoid it once you discover it.
I was a 3Shape user for 4 years at previous workplace (D250 and D700) 3Shape is definitely better choice, but DW isn't system just to spit on it.
I do agree it's made for more technically inclined people. Just my 2cents. Cheers from Ottawa
Avoid the bugs once you discover them ??? Sorry but I don't have time finding ways to avoid bugs and crashes with DWOS . For my lab's needs, it was the worst choice ever .