My new, new scanner....

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
Except the price, what is really the différence between the Steinbchler vs medit second édition ? What can you do with the Steinbchler that you can't do with medit ?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Medit is good. I like it and am keeping some for myself, and proudly selling them.

If you want the best, then it would be the steinbichler. It is over 2x the cost and weighs 4x as much or more.

It is an industrial scanner. No LG commercial projector and regular store bought cameras. Only the best German optics and componants.

Very different products. Not in the same class at all. Like trying to compare an AMG Mercedes to a Hyndai or Kia. Yes, both are cars.

Both are good value for the cost. Just not in the same class.

I need a scanner that will pass testing for Bars and abutments that will satisfy the FDA and ADA.

Scott

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Does bigger and heavier decide who is the better technician is?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score

well you know what they say about a guy with a big scanner right?;)

yeah they wiegh a lot!!!

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
You and Bob are the ones pulling info out from your a55. (Completly guessing and just making up stuff)

Not me. I have data and Industry leaders that disagree with you. Not just making up stuff.

If you can't handle the truth, then don't read my posts.

If you have some solid data/info...then post it up!

You asked about Nobel, I gave you the answer.

The "expert" who started their program has left Tyler. He would NOT accept your 3shape design for a bar.

You are welcome to contact him and ask these questions. Show me the results from proper testing for the 3shape.

You and Bob are NOT qualified to make any statements about a scanner's accuracy. UNDERSTAND?

Um-K?

Now ask yourself... "who is the One that is sounding like hard-headed Disturbed? Me, or you?"

You don't need to run a bar through metrology software to know if it fits or not. If you want to compare a bar made on a 3Shape to a bar made on another scanner then yes, but that has nothing to do with things fitting.

And you mentioned posting 'solid data' but all you posted was a quote from someone...I wouldn't call that 'solid'. I build scan bar cases regularly on my 3Shape and haven't had a problem.

Last edited:
Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
Medit is good. I like it and am keeping some for myself, and proudly selling them.

If you want the best, then it would be the steinbichler. It is over 2x the cost and weighs 4x as much or more.

It is an industrial scanner. No LG commercial projector and regular store bought cameras. Only the best German optics and componants.

Very different products. Not in the same class at all. Like trying to compare an AMG Mercedes to a Hyndai or Kia. Yes, both are cars.

Both are good value for the cost. Just not in the same class.

I need a scanner that will pass testing for Bars and abutments that will satisfy the FDA and ADA.

Scott

It s just commercial argument Scott.
I need some Technicals arguments. If you compare to 3shape or dw we can speak about différence of technology and we know that light is better than laser for the accurency. But in this case we spoke about the same technology also just if you can explain me the différence between the 2 scanners. Time of scan is better ? Accurency is the same together as you tell (<5 microns ) also for implant together are good. I have ever done a complete bridge with 9 implants and the result with the medit was perfect. Maybe the software is better than identica ? If you can explain me. Thanks for this information.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

Actually Tyler, if you knew much about CNC, CMM, and machining/measuring in general, you would already know that size and weight is actually a big factor, as far as accuracy.
If the scanner could be lighter or smaller, wouldn't you think the Germans would have done so years ago to sell more units? This company has been around 2x as long as 3shape. They know a thing or Three about scanning.
Dr. Steinbichler is obsessed with accuracy, and they don't cater to people who want a little cheap plastic box. Just ignore this thread and your life will return to normal. Won't hurt my feelings One bit.

You don't need to run a bar through metrology software to know if it fits or not. If you want to compare a bar made on a 3Shape to a bar made on another scanner then yes, but that has nothing to do with things fitting.

And you mentioned posting 'solid data' but all you posted was a quote from someone...I wouldn't call that 'solid'. I build scan bar cases regularly on my 3Shape and haven't had a problem.

The State of 3-D Imaging Standards | Quality Digest I will re-post just for you (Moron). The Steinbichler has the certified results from the VDI 2634/2 testing, which is the Only way to measure how accurate a scanner is. (Non-contact scanners) This is the only recognised standard for testing short range 3d scanners. No other scanner company has better results. All of their claims have the proper testing data to back them up.

It does not get any more "Solid" than this. popcorn

You can guess and claim whatever you want.
I don't give a ch1t. Unless someone actually tested it, then you do not know. Period.
I have money, and I have had many many scanners. This is my first choice, Money aside.

If your bars fit, then good for you. I'm happy for ya.
You are just wasting your time trying to convince me that any of you know diddly-squat about this topic.
Apparently not. Just big talk from people that haven't a clue.
Kinda hard to argue with you guys on a topic you know nothing about. LOL

I mentioned Panthera because they started the bar project at biocad (Nobel).
You are now going to tell me he is an idiot too huh? He and I are wrong, and because you like your little box, it must be good huh?
Who the fok are you? Am I suppose to know? Where is your data and testing results?

(steps off soap-box)

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"No need to argure with me. The data is there for all to see."

now as if i would :) :boxing:2

"My new Steinbchler has around 24um data point spacing,"

Thats crap compared to my Sirona scanner, last time i checked the point spacing of a scan with geomagic, it ranged between 75um and 300um.. beat that!

re the medit and 3shape accuracy, biomet 3i wont accept scans from either of those for bars

Neither will Renishaw. They are doing bars now and excepting open scans. The way they are doing this now, you have to scan the fixture placements with their old contact scanner. Then you scan the rest of the geometry with a medit. And the two scans are fused together. They claim the medit is not accurate enough on its own and the location data from the contact scanner is required. They seem willing to work things out for loans of the old contact scanner to compliment the medit, so they are not doing this to sell the old scanners etc..

Im sure these guys wouldnt be jumping through these kinds of hoops if it wasnt necessary.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It s just commercial argument Scott.
I need some Technicals arguments. If you compare to 3shape or dw we can speak about différence of technology and we know that light is better than laser for the accurency. But in this case we spoke about the same technology also just if you can explain me the différence between the 2 scanners. Time of scan is better ? Accurency is the same together as you tell (<5 microns ) also for implant together are good. I have ever done a complete bridge with 9 implants and the result with the medit was perfect. Maybe the software is better than identica ? If you can explain me. Thanks for this information.

Nothing is similar!

The technology is NOT the same at all!

Steinbichler uses a much more expensive technology that is patented. It is Single camera, with phase-shifting pattern technology.

The light source is not a regular cheap $200 commercial TV projector, like found in almost all other White-light scanners.
It is an actual analoge image that is projected from a filtered, pure light source. The light passes over expensive German optics with tiny little wires to produce the lines.
It is not some pixalated image that is digitally produced, but rather pure real-life image. The difference is similar between looking with your eyes at the world vs/watching low-resolution image digitally produced on a monitor. VERY different. The superior projected pattern passes through a polorized lens on an axis which shifts the lights. The image is also rotated physically by another axis motor. Trying to do this on a digital projector makes for many flaws. A Digital projector cannot make anywhere near as accurate lines. No way!

The sensor head has inside Two axis motors moving optical gizmos.(Maxon high precision brushless)

The Single camera technology has much less data voids. Two camera scanners need both to see image to produce any data. More "shadows" are found this method.

The scanner holds it calibration much better due to heavy cast rigid frame.
The scan data is much more accurate.

Trust me. I have had many scanners. Do you really think I would just waste my money for the fun of it. (OK, maybe I would. LOL)
I dream of having an FDA approved method from start to finish for bars and abutments. This scanner is necessary.

I know this for a fact.

Cheers!

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
"It is not some pixalated image that is digitally produced, but rather pure real-life image"

in other words similar to the quality difference between optical and digital magnification which is huge.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
How much did it cost?

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
How much did it cost?

I like the way you think, John. I'm impressed by the unbelievable amount of knowledge that is in this thread...I'm just trying to figure out how all of this data translates into buying me a nice new boat?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I like the way you think, John. I'm impressed by the unbelievable amount of knowledge that is in this thread...I'm just trying to figure out how all of this data translates into buying me a nice new boat?

New Boat= Bust Out Another Thousand

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
John, it was around $30k.

Which is less than 1/2 of what they really wanted me to pay for years and years.

Steinbichler USA had an older 32-bit version that I wanted for quite a while now, but we could never make a deal.

This newer model is absolutly worth every penny of $30k. I am very happy with that!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

Take $10 worth of Titanium and turn it into $1000.

Can you understand that?

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
Take $10 worth of Titanium and turn it into $1000.

Can you understand that?

ohhh, Now I smell what your steppin' in. Why didn't you just say that in the first place? It could have avoided all of the unpleasant conversation today. The forum is supposed to be a positive place where we all go to escape the lab.

Last edited:
Top Bottom