Full contour zirconia.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Translucency and transparency are two different things. Translucency means SOME light is allowed to escape, some is absorbed and some is refracted. It's what color ranges (temperatures) do what, (A,RFL, RFR). It is a very precise science, and in my opinion, only one material is matched to natural teeth, as proven in a research article.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
What material?

Do you have a link to the article?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
What material?

Do you have a link to the article?

The article is forthcoming, but here is a graphical summary. BruxZir is gaining a massive library of published articles and independent studies, but I have yet to see much from any of the competitive materials out there. Just about everything I see is based on opinion, but no science.

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_bruxzir_wavelength_graph.jpg

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Bruxzir is the king.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
The article is forthcoming, but here is a graphical summary. BruxZir is gaining a massive library of published articles and independent studies, but I have yet to see much from any of the competitive materials out there. Just about everything I see is based on opinion, but no science.

I think Wieland has quite a bit of science behind their material, don't they?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I have only seen some articles where it is mentioned as one of the materials tested. It usually does okay. Mid to upper part of the pack depending on the property being tested.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346806138.823845.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346806152.154405.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Translucency and transparency are two different things. Translucency means SOME light is allowed to escape, some is absorbed and some is refracted. It's what color ranges (temperatures) do what, (A,RFL, RFR). It is a very precise science, and in my opinion, only one material is matched to natural teeth, as proven in a research article.

In the field of optics, transparency (also called pellucidity or diaphaneity) is the physical property of allowing light to pass through the material without being scattered. On a macroscopic scale (one where the dimensions investigated are much, much larger than the wavelength of the photons in question),the photons can be said to follow Snell's Law. Translucency (also called translucence or translucidity),is a super-set of transparency, allows light to pass through; but, does not necessarily (again, on the macroscopic scale) follow Snell's law; the photons can be scattered at either of the two interfaces where there is a change in index of refraction, or internally. In other words, a translucent medium allows the transport of light while a transparent medium not only allows the transport of light but allows for the image formation. The opposite property of translucency is opacity. Transparent materials appear clear, with the overall appearance of one color, or any combination leading up to a brilliant spectrum of every color. When light encounters a material, it can interact with it in several different ways. These interactions depend on the wavelength of the light and the nature of the material. Photons interact with an object by some combination of reflection, absorption and transmission. Some materials, such as plate glass and clean water, allow much of the light that falls on them to be transmitted, with little being reflected; such materials are called optically transparent. Many liquids and aqueous solutions are highly transparent. Absence of structural defects (voids, cracks, etc.) and molecular structure of most liquids are mostly responsible for excellent optical transmission.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ok, Zirkonzahn Prattau(ZZ),Sagemax NexxZr(SM) and TD Dental(TD) all visibly exhibit the same " translucency" without the aid of some type of measuring device. Two passes of stain were applied atbthe gingival third and one vertical pass to the cusp tips. The ZZ is noticeably darker than the other two. SM and TD look basically identical to each other. They both took the stain the same with very good color saturation. I would have to say the ZZ is the closest to the shade with the highest color saturation. That could be adjusted with another pass on the other two but still something to note. One thing I notice is how the SM and TD look more vibrant than the ZZ. Could be an illusion due to more color saturation with the ZZ material. I'll post pics when I get the zenostar and metoxit units ready.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I wonder if transparency is what effects value? The more transparent, the lower the value? Where translucency may maintain a higher value?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Don't you just love it when 2 smart mad scientist butt heads lol
thats a joke Mark

Can't wait to see the results including BruxZir and Emax !

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Charles, calling them "butt heads" could make them even madder! ;)

[video=youtube_share;ml7vT51vUSk]http://youtu.be/ml7vT51vUSk[/video]

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Charles, calling them "butt heads" could make them even madder! ;)

[video=youtube_share;ml7vT51vUSk]http://youtu.be/ml7vT51vUSk[/video]

Haaaaa!!! How did you know what I looked like?!?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Something else I've found out. Any of you sometimes have slightly higher values or lighter shades after you glaze a FCZ? Try using a non fluorescent glaze. The fluorescent glazes can raise value slightly and give an appearance of a slightly lighter shade. This is not the case with Bruxzir which loses color with every firing. This is just on stable colored FCZ.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
we've never liked BruxZir. we found it opacious, monochromatic, and the dip liquid seemed to be very inconsistent.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
In the field of optics, transparency (also called pellucidity or diaphaneity) is the physical property of allowing light to pass through the material without being scattered. On a macroscopic scale (one where the dimensions investigated are much, much larger than the wavelength of the photons in question),the photons can be said to follow Snell's Law. Translucency (also called translucence or translucidity),is a super-set of transparency, allows light to pass through; but, does not necessarily (again, on the macroscopic scale) follow Snell's law; the photons can be scattered at either of the two interfaces where there is a change in index of refraction, or internally. In other words, a translucent medium allows the transport of light while a transparent medium not only allows the transport of light but allows for the image formation. The opposite property of translucency is opacity. Transparent materials appear clear, with the overall appearance of one color, or any combination leading up to a brilliant spectrum of every color. When light encounters a material, it can interact with it in several different ways. These interactions depend on the wavelength of the light and the nature of the material. Photons interact with an object by some combination of reflection, absorption and transmission. Some materials, such as plate glass and clean water, allow much of the light that falls on them to be transmitted, with little being reflected; such materials are called optically transparent. Many liquids and aqueous solutions are highly transparent. Absence of structural defects (voids, cracks, etc.) and molecular structure of most liquids are mostly responsible for excellent optical transmission.

I read that same post on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_and_translucency, but I got tired just looking at it. I think the way I said it was easier to read :)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Mark, I was wondering if you know how Bruxzir is manufactured? Is it isostatically pressed etc?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"I wonder if transparency is what effects value? The more transparent, the lower the value? Where translucency may maintain a higher value?"

Call yourself a ceramist! ;)

In order to maintain value and have translucency you need opalescence. ZR or emax dosent have that unfortunately so the more translucent the lower the value yes.

thats what the OE powders are for in your emax ceram kit.

"The fluorescent glazes can raise value slightly"

yep that's what fluorescence does, thats why the margin materials are fluorescent.

Last edited: