SUM3D

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
So last thursday my computer that I scan with and controlls my Roland crashed. I had to re-install everything and now my SUM3D is acting wierd. Those of you that use it when you press cntl+alt+2 it brings up your toolbar. After re-installing and doing my update it asks for a password? Another thing is after I create a new disk and try to export the curves it doesn't allow me to save as a certain file but instead it simply saves it.

Any help would be great!!

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
Hi Shane i will have 2 PC one for design and one for cam and control your DWX50 lest say one day you are milling 30 crowns and your designing soft crash your PC not good at all. Tool path calculations drain your PC resources a lot + designing soft = crash some times

Matt Stratton

Matt Stratton

Reaction score
Hi Shane. Regarding the password, try the name of the software. I've hit this before :)

Not sure about saving the disk curves. Normally we just let it autosave.

Matt

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Last week I ran into a problem, the wax I was milling was breaking my 1mm bur!! Crazy I know. The manufactor told me not to use his burs for wax. So I got some different burs for wax. My question is how do I set my #4 tool only for wax? Or do I every time I mill wax specify that #4 tool is for internal finishing? Can I set #4 as a wax default? I'm using Sum3D by the way

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
no way.

There was something else wrong.

Can I see a CAM file for that, if you have it still?

awww.radioactive_software.com_AntiSpam_Image1.jpg
awww.radioactive_software.com_AntiSpam_Image1.jpg

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Shane, I had the same thing happen last week. 1mm bur was buried in the puck like it went straight down and then snapped in half. Just put of the blue? Restarted and it worked fine. Still getting intermittent rough areas on units. 20 units for example. All will be smooth but one will have a slight rectangular inset. Another will have deep stair step gouges in one small area etc. but not on every unit in the puck. I'm sure it's operator error on my end.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
You mean there is no way to set a certain bur for wax, or no way that my bur broke in wax? Want me to Email you the cam file?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Shane, I had the same thing happen last week. 1mm bur was buried in the puck like it went straight down and then snapped in half. Just put of the blue? Restarted and it worked fine. Still getting intermittent rough areas on units. 20 units for example. All will be smooth but one will have a slight rectangular inset. Another will have deep stair step gouges in one small area etc. but not on every unit in the puck. I'm sure it's operator error on my end.

It's wierd cuz last Wednesday night I did a full wax disk with no problems, thursday I was milling 3, 3 unit bridges and it broke a bur. So I changed it out instead of just starting it over and doing the same file I resent a different file and it broke again at the same spot. Maybe a CAM problem with the strategy, not sure.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Always go back and look at milling path on simulation when you see this happen (broken tools)

You may have, by accident, eliminated an operation by hitting esc or ? The Roughing was not completed before Finishing.

All sorts of things it could be.

We can upload and share files at the following ftp site.....

019040e.netsolhost.com

username is dentallabnetwork
password is sum3d-dental

I will upload the Industrial version of the "Help"/Instructions for SUM3d if you guys don't alre4ady have it.

Scott

Oh, use filezilla for ftp x-fer.... FileZilla - The free FTP solution

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
you should have a crown and bridge strategy for both zirc, and wax. They will be exactly the same except, feedrates, and spindle speeds will likely be faster in wax. And the only other difference is in each strategy you will determine which tools will be used. lets say you have five tools. 2mm zirc 1mm zirc .05 zirc 2mm wax/pmma 1mm wax/pmma. the wax strategy will be using tools 4 and 5 while the zirc startegies use tools 1-3... so build your strategies with the corresponding tool numbers.....

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It's impossible to help without sharing the CAM files.

Much faster than trying to guess and talk about it.

Should I quit looking for your file now, or maybe you will upload?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
It's impossible to help without sharing the CAM files.

Much faster than trying to guess and talk about it.

Should I quit looking for your file now, or maybe you will upload?

Sorry, very busy. I typed in the link 019040e.netsolhost.com but it took to me your home page, no place to put in username

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
FILZILLA!!!

FileZilla - The free FTP solution

Download the Client, not the Server software!

Check Box for Desktop Icon on install...

Takes 30 seconds to download and install.

then enter my address and username etc....

We can all share BIG files fast.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Open Site Manager.....

Click NEW SITE.

Enter in info.

CONNECT!

You Computer tree is on left, FTP server is on right..

Scott

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Hey Scott sorry it took so long but last night I couldn't get the filezilla wouldn't download. Got it going today and uploading the file that keep breaking burs now. Thanks

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Scott sorry it took so long but last night I couldn't get the filezilla wouldn't download. Got it going today and uploading the file that keep breaking burs now. Thanks

Found it.

In your Second External Roughing operation (tilted bridge),your oversize (.3) is too much at that angle for your offset parameter on importing of element.

The Roughing tool does not complete the removal of alot of material for one bridge. The 2mm Ball-mill won't fit between the wall of wax and the tooth with your parameters you have now.

You have Two choices.

One, reduce the extra material (oversize) from .03 to maybe .01 in the Roughin operation.

The other option is to increase your offset from 2.?? you have to 2.?? (+.3mm)

You have very course roughing operation (2mm z-step and 60% stepover),followed by only a 1mm tool to do all rest.
You are leaving .03 extra material, but at such a course step, you are leaving big chunks of material all over the place for the little 1mm to remove in One fast swipe.

It is a little hard on the 1mm, even with wax. I would imagine you are bending the tool, or flexing the actual wax and loosing accuracy.

I would very much not do this. I would add in a 2mm finishing, then go to 1mm for specific areas only.

Other than that...I see many many other things I would change.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Make Global change.... your .3 oversize in roughing to .1mm or maybe .15

or

change offset value to 2.5mm or higher. (Ring around tooth that gets evacuated ya'know?)

This is instant fix. You should do it now for all similar strategys, then save changes.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Shane, take your diameter of tool (which in this case is 2mm)

Then add in a little jiggle room.....like .1 or .2mm to have little space for material to fly up and out of pocket.

Then, you have to add in your oversize! You have oversize at .3mm for roughing, which is a little fat. This is just like adding .3 on all sides of your tooth...you don't currently have room for tool to go as deep as necessay.

So, 2.0+0.2+0.3=2.5mm minimum offset.

Very important.

Scott

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Shane, take your diameter of tool (which in this case is 2mm)

Then add in a little jiggle room.....like .1 or .2mm to have little space for material to fly up and out of pocket.

Then, you have to add in your oversize! You have oversize at .3mm for roughing, which is a little fat. This is just like adding .3 on all sides of your tooth...you don't currently have room for tool to go as deep as necessay.

So, 2.0+0.2+0.3=2.5mm minimum offset.

Very important.

Scott

Thanks for looking at that. Yeah with SUM3D while importing your crown I can manually set an offset, which I put at 2.5. I'll have to go in and change the other things. What happend was this was all set up me during install, then my pc crashed and had to re-install everything. Since I have no clue really what I'm doing when it comes to tool strategy and whatever I probably missed a few steps. Thanks a bunch Scott.