Cool Case In The Works

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Looks great Al although I'm not a big fan of porc to metal margins.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice Al.

This 2nd page isnt working, now it is.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ok shes in the mail.

I used 3 tapered diamonds to tweek the contours.

A larger one to smooth the grainyness, a medium one to smooth up and define the facials and a thin rat tail diamond to smooth up and define the interproximals.

Note the A35 shade coming through on the interproximals. Thats where using the darker shade on the connections shines.
No external stain.

Dr told me originaly the patient did not want a ptr. I told him today he needs to impress and put him in one asap to protect the bridge. Pt needs to chew on his posteriors or he is going to bust everything. I recommended one of the flexable ptrs.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z34.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z35.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z36.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z36a.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z37.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z38.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z39.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z40.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z34.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z35.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z36.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z36a.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z37.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z38.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z39.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_z40.jpg

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
WOW!!!!,,,all I can say is WOW!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I would give this case a 7. As long as the scale we were using was 1 to 5. :)

Another wonderfully artistic case that we all can learn something from.

Al your work has improved 10 fold since you started doing photography. I mean really beautiful work.

I know my techs have your drive, but the internal vision to make this happens comes from learning what you see through your minds eye as well as the cameras, and sadly I don't think thats totally a learned trait.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Al,I love your ceramics here but I have to say that the buccal margins appear open to me.They look fine at the metal tryin stage but they seem way open with the porcelain.It looks as if the bridge is not seated completely on the solid model.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Its beautiful Al! I am curious why you chose not to extend the gingival porcelain to the right bi's, while you did on the left. Rob

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Al,I love your ceramics here but I have to say that the buccal margins appear open to me.They look fine at the metal tryin stage but they seem way open with the porcelain.It looks as if the bridge is not seated completely on the solid model.

This Dr is anal about tissue management. He does his his own tissue surgery and sends me alot of BW reshaping crowns. 99% of his preps are tisssue level.
After he retracts the tissue his preps look supra gingival. It makes it hard to close spaces.

This case fit very nice on the solid model after the casting. The margins were all sealed except for the facial of 27 where the light body material had torn after the first pour.

Thats why I always tell my wife you have to get the first pour perfect, because the 2nd pour more often than not will have tears and may also be distorted on bridges.

I recheck bridges on the solid after I degass and again after the final opaque to make sure it hasnt moved.

After this I only use the solid model for the pontics. The contours always looks different on this model vs the sectioned model.
I take a 330 bur and zip around the margins and even on the preps if I need, to make sure the bridge goes on and off passively because when I have to remove it with unfired porc on it I dont want any of it to break off trying to tug it off the solid model.

So after the opaque I dont care about the margins on the solid unless the Dr wants to pay me alot more $ per unit.
And really I dont trust the margins on the 2nd pour anyway and especially for bridges and even more so if I am doing porc margins.

If I have to decide which model is correct for fit and margins the 1st or 2nd pour the 1st pour always wins.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Its beautiful Al! I am curious why you chose not to extend the gingival porcelain to the right bi's, while you did on the left. Rob

I really dont know. Probably because #21 is a cant pontic and 28 and 29 are preps. I may not have done the gin porc on the cuspids if they were not rotated so badly.
Can you imagine how bad the cuspids would look if I had not made their root forms tissue.

Im thinking that mabey I should have made the gin of 21 longer to match the other side but I tried to make it the same as the cuspid.

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
Al,

I love how you manage the mandibular anteriors !! Very natural.

Russ

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Al,

I love how you manage the mandibular anteriors !! Very natural.

Russ
Thanks Russ, alot of people seem to struggle with lower anteriors.
But they are really not difficult.
I think the key is to do all the contouring before it is fired and NOT to over build.
Really important is to get the seperation with a thin razor and not a diamond disk. I do use a very thin diamond disk to refine the seperation.

Also to me the incisal edges really make lower anteriors.

T

timbangley

Reaction score
Very nice job my friend and thanks for showing pics of your work.

T

Treasurediver

Reaction score
This makes me realize how little I really know about this business. Breathtaking work Al.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Well I just got these pics back from the Dr.

I have a question for everybody/anybody.
I used Inline porc.
Do you think I would have gotten better results with a different porc like Dsign or Creation.

On the model it looks so beautiful but in the mouth so high value, I think I used an A2. But they have that typical pfm high value look.

I am wondering if some of these other porc would mask out the opaque better?

Or is this just the nature of metal ceramics?
Mabey the flash is blowing through the porc and bouncing off the opaque?

Any thoughts?

Al

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov3.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov4.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov2.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov3.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_rov4.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You really need to see the patient in person to determine if it's the flash or not.

I think anything with a substucture has a tendency to be higher in value than a more translucent restoration.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
You really need to see the patient in person to determine if it's the flash or not.

I think anything with a substucture has a tendency to be higher in value than a more translucent restoration.

Yeah this Dr is in Florida.

Im wondering If I should opaque the gin 1/3 with C or D range opaques for A range shade requests?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I have a cervical porcelain in my Noritake kit which is coordinated to the a-d range.

You mix a determined ratio with the dentin porcelain for the gingival 1/3.It works very well however even at full strength sometimes the value is still high.

I've tried using d range opaque with a shades and c range for b shades however I never got the feedback to continue.

I've heard of using a pink or red range of modifier but I'm too chicken to try it.If you look at the canine ,the pink helps blend at the junction.