Anyone familiar with the gnathological technique for set ups?

• Thread starter charles hallam cdt
  • Start date
charles hallam cdt

charles hallam cdt

Reaction score
I have seen one case set up this way and it looked home made. Curious if this a device or something this dr and other lab came up with

G

GarryB

Reaction score
I have seen one case set up this way and it looked home made. Curious if this a device or something this dr and other lab came up with
Don't think its a home made thing. A tech I used to know built his business around this technique but its not my field so can't say anymore.

charles hallam cdt

charles hallam cdt

Reaction score
I can't find device. Might help if I knew what I was looking for. Lol

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I need some definition of terms. Gnathology as well as Pankey/Mann occlusal schemes are really oriented towards fixed dentition,I.e.,mutually protected occlusion, or tripod posterior contacts...
Most of that doesn't transfer to removable prosthetics.

Like I said can you elaborate on the term?

charles hallam cdt

charles hallam cdt

Reaction score
I know gnathology is the study of facial muscle. So I am also trying to figure out how dr incorporates this his dentures. Dr says it helps to line up the max/mand jaw but I thought that's what face bows were for. I wish I would have taken a pic to show you more.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I know gnathology is the study of facial muscle. So I am also trying to figure out how dr incorporates this his dentures. Dr says it helps to line up the max/mand jaw but I thought that's what face bows were for. I wish I would have taken a pic to show you more.

Not quite a pure guess, but without more info I'm thinking that the Japanese were doing something like a facebow + neutral zone methods and were using this as a shorthand translation/term for the procedure. Too little time to search right now to verify my thought before posting like I usually will, but that's where I'd start searching.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Not quite a pure guess, but without more info I'm thinking that the Japanese were doing something like a facebow + neutral zone methods and were using this as a shorthand translation/term for the procedure. Too little time to search right now to verify my thought before posting like I usually will, but that's where I'd start searching.
I'm fully versed in Massad's NZ approach.
If you search in removable forums you'll find a slide dump I did over two threads a couple years back.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm fully versed in Massad's NZ approach.
If you search in removable forums you'll find a slide dump I did over two threads a couple years back.
Oh yeah, now I remeber that.

I was thinking of something else I read on an abstract though. Like I said, not quite a pure guess. But close.

charles hallam cdt

charles hallam cdt

Reaction score
Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Ivoclar used to sell an articulator called Gnathomat...not sure what purpose did serve, perhaps @Patrick Coon can chime in ?
View attachment 27393
Sorry guys, been prepping the house.

As for this piece of instrumentation, I'm not familiar with it. This has not been available for a while. When I get a chance, I'll ask my denture guru, Don Yancey, about it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Dr bill mchorris was the gnathology guy it was all about relaxed muscle position canine disclussion lingualised set ups it was a a bit of a precurser to lvi etc he loved gold crowns the more the better .it was a pretty solid system i went to a few of his lectures in the early 90s he wasnt young then probably 70 years old nice guy good speaker.i had quite a few clients that wwere using his theories and techniques with great success.when i did lvi years later i said oh this is like mchorris they got quite defensive and then spent hours trying to point out the differences there wasnt a whole lot of difference just a few more machines and lingo.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge the Gnathological techniques are used predominantly for fixed
FMRs. To achieve the same with complete dentures one would have to create and convert the occlusal scheme of the prosthetic teeth. No prosthetic denture teeth I know of provides the stability and accuracy that's required with this approach. We're talking about a series of occlusal points each providing a specific function based on its location. Ex: closure stops... Equalizers.... etc...

Maybe LCM can chime in here.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i saw some of bill mchorris's work for dentures he still used canine disclusion and gold posteriors thats when he lost me.

charles hallam cdt

charles hallam cdt

Reaction score
After reading all your response I'm thinking I'm not going to spend any time focusing on it. The dr has been very pleased with the dentures he's received, so why change something that is working. Thanks again for all your input still very informative. At least I learned something.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
After reading all your response I'm thinking I'm not going to spend any time focusing on it. The dr has been very pleased with the dentures he's received, so why change something that is working. Thanks again for all your input still very informative. At least I learned something.
Good plan. If docs can't express their wants, how would either of you be graded on your efforts as you attempt to approach achieving it.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I would that in my entire career, I've never seen canine disclusion do anything but destabilize a removable denture.

I also note that for some reason a lot of dentists can't/don't not grasp the different requirement for successful occlusion in removable vs fixed/natural.