Is it me?

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
fullpartial you need to rethink what you say about techs you think are unskilled just because they are cadcam techs its not a lower skill but a different skill.i have heard a few young denturists say similar things you guys do this at your own peril .Ive been a tech for 35 years and a denturist for 21 years and anyone who calls themselves a young gun in this industry is just young and no gun .you guys need to embrace new technology ios scans milled and printed dentures etc or otherwise you going to take samari sword to a machine gun fight.

Grantoz, let me apologize before I attempt to clarify my post. I mean no disrespect to techs like you or the hundreds of other members who have developed skills that are refined by hours of study and sweat equity. I came to this forum to gain from those skills and experiences that only come from hard work and dedication to being forever a student to the trade. My greatest insights have come from individuals like my hopefully future grandfather in law. A man that has seen the ups and downs of an economy, has eaten pigs feet and then filet mignon. A man that has worked on his knees and became a master at his trade. Something very few people could have the fortune to call themselves these days.

When I said unskilled labor, I meant individuals who are brought in with no knowledge of the dental lab and are run through a brief PTC (or similar) course on posterior design, obtain passable quality and go on to pump out high volume production that allows for units to be designed for $3-$6 a unit. I certainly hope that is not considered skilled labor.

If I do continue and create a career in this industry I want to be the go to for complicated cases, when the doctor needs guidance on difficult cases, and when others scratch their heads hopefully I can be who they turn to. I work with IOS cases every day. Have been proud to push Strategy gold milling for porosity free accurate restorations, and receive beautiful 3D printed 3i encode cases. So if I haven't soured you, I hope I can learn from you. I promise I won't use young gun ever again on this forum. Which is hard to do, especially the gun part, we love our guns! :)

G

grantoz

Reaction score
fullpartial ive seen and spoken with people like willi gellar ,enrico stieger who taught me personally how to hand mil and i have spent many thousands of dollars on courses and training.you know these guys always treat the muppets and the truly gifted exactly the same way with respect and an attitude for giving of their time.I hope you get my point so i happily accept your apology and wish you all the best.By the way i did a ptc course when i 1st started and now have a lab with 14 employees .I have also seen many techs who do beautiful work but cant keep a job or own a business because they are just to slow to make money so pumping out many crowns or whatever in a day shouldnt be considered less than any one else.we all have our place in gods lab.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Hoping to stay in analogue dentures a few more years. At LMT I attended the 4 digital denture systems, all milled looked poor and repair ability is a problem, printed looked better but no repair ability, the Ajman was interesting but requires analogue processing. Been hearing about Ivoclair but hard to trust them.
Ken I'm hoping we will have work until we are gone, the artistry & engineering for an individual patient might be in jeopardy, just when all those baby boomers hit the market.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Grantoz, let me apologize before I attempt to clarify my post. ..... So if I haven't soured you, I hope I can learn from you. I promise I won't use young gun ever again on this forum. Which is hard to do, especially the gun part, we love our guns! :)
You just need to shower grantoz with some rainbows he will come around.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hoping to stay in analogue dentures a few more years. At LMT I attended the 4 digital denture systems, all milled looked poor and repair ability is a problem, printed looked better but no repair ability, the Ajman was interesting but requires analogue processing. Been hearing about Ivoclair but hard to trust them.
Ken I'm hoping we will have work until we are gone, the artistry & engineering for an individual patient might be in jeopardy, just when all those baby boomers hit the market.
Dentures are on the cusp of going digital, just waiting for the first great platform to arrive. The full palate stitching isn't quite there, the machines and the materials are there. Personally I want a system that can wax mill the denture base, or out of acrylic. I feel there is too much human fiddling that needs to be done in dentures to go strait to finished.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Dentures are on the cusp of going digital, just waiting for the first great platform to arrive. The full palate stitching isn't quite there, the machines and the materials are there. Personally I want a system that can wax mill the denture base, or out of acrylic. I feel there is too much human fiddling that needs to be done in dentures to go strait to finished.
AG system mills wax base and Heraus teeth to flask and process/inject. Been around for a while now.

Attachments

• Dentures-ex-machina_nofa-liin_EN.pdf
    297.8 KB · Views: 10
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
AG system mills wax base and Heraus teeth to flask and process/inject. Been around for a while now.
Interesting, haven't seen that before. You would think they would of had better models for the final finished product photo.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
denture made from selfies
you heard it here first.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
AJ, I suspect handmade will never completely disappear.
in a world of off the rack, the handmade suit is still top tier.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
or you can buy your gauncys off the rack and wear handmaid over them.
It doesn't have to be one or the other.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
fullpartial you need to rethink what you say about techs you think are unskilled just because they are cadcam techs its not a lower skill but a different skill.i have heard a few young denturists say similar things you guys do this at your own peril .Ive been a tech for 35 years and a denturist for 21 years and anyone who calls themselves a young gun in this industry is just young and no gun .you guys need to embrace new technology ios scans milled and printed dentures etc or otherwise you going to take samari sword to a machine gun fight.
Sword wins if you're close enough
denture made from selfies
you heard it here first.
Mickey mouse is working on it. Seriously.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Sword wins if you're close enough

Mickey mouse is working on it. Seriously.
I thought I saw something on that but couldn't find the link.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I thought I saw something on that but couldn't find the link.
I remember it, but can't remember where. They are doing a head shot to digitize bone, muscle, and teeth structure, supposedly didn't matter if the subject was even smileing for teeth form and position. Claim they are even creating plausible molar anatomy from an anterior view alone. I think it was for creating more realistic 3D avatars for use in future fuller immersion games among other things...
If you find it before I do, please reshare.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I remember it, but can't remember where. They are doing a head shot to digitize bone, muscle, and teeth structure, supposedly didn't matter if the subject was even smileing for teeth form and position. Claim they are even creating plausible molar anatomy from an anterior view alone. I think it was for creating more realistic 3D avatars for use in future fuller immersion games among other things...
If you find it before I do, please reshare.
I will.

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
View attachment 25323
modern%202001%20monolith.gif
exactly!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Or do the conversations get weird on FB if you address real world techniques?
Like somehow considering the everyday bread and butter somehow sullies the Olympian heights of the boutique...
All those clutch the pearls responses to just saying something as it is

Top Bottom