P.O.S. VHF Mill and CADBLU SUCKS!!! I know more technical stuff then they do.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your pains. I have my 3Shape contract through them, which I will soon be switching, but if you haven't yet, I would talk to Nathan Davis. He works at CadBlu in NY, and has always led me in the right direction. Good guy. one of the few positives in my CadBlu experiences.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Brad

When I personally think it is a weak continuity signal personally. Cause all my other tools over the sierra tools did not crash unless the bur was broken. Sierra has a platinum coating on their diamond tools and Mike over at Sierra whom i had a lengthy good convo on the pone with yesterday said the same thing probably a weak signal. The machine is a solid mill but if the signal is weak then all sorts of problems will arise. I asked CB if it was possible for them to send me a signal booster and I can install it cause I can't have any down time on the mill. Still awaiting a response.

Sevan

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Do they have signal boosters for touch off points ? I'd be careful...you could easily fry the receiver electronic part with a too powerful input. Could it be replaced with a precision switch instead ? Would make more sense...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Do they have signal boosters for touch off points ? I'd be careful...you could easily fry the receiver electronic part with a too powerful input. Could it be replaced with a precision switch instead ? Would make more sense...

ZZ, it is made by the MFG (VHF) not just a off the shelf booster.

gatorteeth87

gatorteeth87

Reaction score
Gotcha, makes sense. I know they make diamond coated tools as well, I wonder if this would insulate the current through the tool to the reference table? Interesting. Well I wish you the best of luck, maybe try some different tools? Cardinal Dental supply gives us a great deal on tools.

Brad

NDLMilling

NDLMilling

Reaction score
I've been running one of these mills for over a year. I've experienced the "stabbing" tool sensor also. It really seems to be related to a "weak signal" as stated above. Usually the stabbing happens on the small, .6mm bur. Which in my opinion, makes sense because it has the least amount of contact area with the measuring plate.

Ive done a few things that have improved the situation:

1. Fine zirconia powder will work its way UNDER the tool plate, which I think can interfere with its grounding. When I install a new plate, I put a bead of Vaseline around the edge of the plate to seal it from dust. Also, there are two small holes on the bottom/side of the a-axis plate that intersect the two screws that ground the tool plate. Zirconia dust can penetrate that area as well. I filled the holes with hot glue to seal them.

2. Make sure that both the collet, and the spindle are CLEAN. I have a small inspection mirror that I use look into the area where the collet threads. Zirconia can get built up in that area pretty quickly. I clean it regularly with a pipe cleaner.

3. Next time this happens (when, not if) I plan on adding a secondary ground strap to the tool plate.

Also, if the mill is in a high dust area: There are no air filters on the cooling fans!! The inside of the mill can get caked with dust. After the 6 month mark I started having weird issues with the mill. We took the case off, and meticulously cleaned it, and double checked all of the chassis grounds. After the cleaning the mill performed excellently. I don't know what the correlation is, but cleaning it made it work better.

Concerning burs: I call BS on mfg's blaming problems on the bur. If the bur can conduct electricity, it will work. Period. I've used Oem burs, cheapo burs, and currently use sierra tools full time. I've had the tool plate issue with ALL OF THEM. I've run the sierras into the ground.. like 70 hours of run time per..

These are my thoughts...

-Greg

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
CADBlu did not do me right as a customer.

I lost $35k and six months of my life on a POS milling system from them.

They are liars and can go to XXXX for all I care.

They refused to give me refund on system was never going to work.

Dave at Dale dental also got shafted on the same system, at the same time as I.

So, you are welcome to get another opinion from him if you do not respect my words.

If CadBlu screwed you why didn't you take legal action to get your money back?? Doesn't make sense...35k is a lot of money.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I have recently tried the Sierra tools and had a few issues initially. Then I made the mistake of running the machine with no suction and notice the touch off point was getting bad. I then notice the.6mm bur had no end, broke. Long story but I cleaned, moved touch off and calibrated. I now have brand new tools(Sierra),but I am still seeing chipping in mg's, not all but some and they r not in undercut areas as sometimes is the case. Any input as I have heard good things about Sierra tools and I just spent the $ on new ones but I am getting the same results. I have the burs from Jensen and wonder maybe there is a reason they don't resell the Sierra tools as their run time is approx. 70hrs, vs. the Jensen tools which I get about 15hrs? Thanks in advance if anyone could enlighten me!

NDLMilling

NDLMilling

Reaction score
I have recently tried the Sierra tools and had a few issues initially. Then I made the mistake of running the machine with no suction and notice the touch off point was getting bad. I then notice the.6mm bur had no end, broke. Long story but I cleaned, moved touch off and calibrated. I now have brand new tools(Sierra),but I am still seeing chipping in mg's, not all but some and they r not in undercut areas as sometimes is the case. Any input as I have heard good things about Sierra tools and I just spent the $ on new ones but I am getting the same results. I have the burs from Jensen and wonder maybe there is a reason they don't resell the Sierra tools as their run time is approx. 70hrs, vs. the Jensen tools which I get about 15hrs? Thanks in advance if anyone could enlighten me!

Did you get a good calibration? What do you mean be "moved the touch off point"? Did you resurface it? How many microns is your touch point off? Did the old tool leave a piece stuck in the touch point?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
It's most likely the coating on the Sierra tools...my VHF burs have a light diamond coat and that's probably the reason why I have to change them so often. Tee sierra tools look to have a heavier coating, hence the longevity of them. My guess is that the diamond coating is interfering with the signal at the touch off...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
If CadBlu screwed you why didn't you take legal action to get your money back?? Doesn't make sense...35k is a lot of money.

Was 6-7 years ago. I was poor then and struggling as C&B lab owner.

Closed my lab and now rock&roll.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It's most likely the coating on the Sierra tools...my VHF burs have a light diamond coat and that's probably the reason why I have to change them so often. Tee sierra tools look to have a heavier coating, hence the longevity of them. My guess is that the diamond coating is interfering with the signal at the touch off...

The Sierra tools are the most conductive Diamond coated burs out in the world right now. If they work in other VHF mills I doubt it is the burs platinum Diamond coating that is the issue, The signal boost is a VHF part. They say if it is not needed then do not put it on, when asked why not. Even VHF doesn't know. LOL I am still waiting for an answer on if I can do it myself or not. I am still leaning on the signal not being up to par and that is why the crashing is happening. Even with a broken bur and a good strong signal the machine should technically not crash the entire bur is conductive. So technically it should closed the loop once contact is made unless there is a weak signal. The exact same point I made to CadBlu. LOL MFG's are a pain in ht arse. MFG testing is completely useless when compared to real world testing. Real world Test yields results where MFG testing is like saying yeah i guess these will work.

In the real world these tools work on the VHF machines or Sierra wouldn't be selling them and you would hear a lot more people complaining about then. All the other mills out there have mechanical measuring points so no conductivity is needed, I think VHF is the only mill that uses a electronic touch off to measure tool height. Very accurate but a freaking pain.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Was 6-7 years ago. I was poor then and struggling as C&B lab owner.

Closed my lab and now rock&roll.

Rock 'n' Roll is good.

As a certain person I had a phone conversation with said " CADBLU came from jewelry, what do they no about Dental Stuff." LMFAO soooo true. I think they should stick to selling Jewelry stuff and give up on Dental period. Just cause you can sell the machines doesn't mean you know your talking about. I get the feeling that they are like the technical advisers when you call Linksys technical,some person in India reading his lines out of a text book and asking you to hold intermittently while they find what to say next. LMFAO! I miss good old technical support. I guess they moved all that over seas with the rest of our dental and non dental products and they all turned to CRAP. Sigh.............................

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I must say that Rich M. is very talented with 3dsystems products. Better than me. (I think projetter has both of us beat at that though!)

But, he cannot service and talk to everyone of his customers, and tech support on other products is less than par.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I feel terrible for you. Just an FYI, on occasion we run into a problem with a new mill sale or one under warranty. Here's how we deal with it provided CAP sells the mill. I am sharing this info as you can use it with CB as possible ways to cross the finish line to predictable productivity.
1. Our support team will work to resolve all problems over the phone.
2. If they can't fix it, we mill for customers at cost so you maintain production with no increase in cost of manufacturing. We will do this for as long as it takes to get you running.
3. CAP owns loaner mills. If tech support can't fix it over the phone we ship you a loaner. Once in a while we are short on loaners and are now addressing adding additional loaners to our inventory.
4. Once you get your loaner and we receive your mill we fix it or we get the manufacture to replace it.
On large frame mills the loaner mill does not work as well so we will send out trained technicians for diagnostics and repair. Again, we mill at cost until you are up and running.
I'm providing this info as a possible path for you to follow with CB to achieve resolution and also stay productive while down.
Good luck.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Bob I would of had my boss by the mill from you if you sold VHF machines, lol that's tech support.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
CAP has helped me numerous times when I did something stupid:) or was just curious about capabilities of the software etc.. Fantastic Tech support! Thanks Bob!!

Sevan, what made you choose the VHF over another Roland or imes machine?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Way to do business Bob, thumbs up !

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Bob I would of had my boss by the mill from you if you sold VHF machines, lol that's tech support.

Interesting, you would also have had a 5 axis mill.