Zirconia denture teeth?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Had a case for a buddy, It was a denture opposing a lower zir 1st molar to 1st molar implant bridge. I know no denture can long term stand up to the battering ram. Zirconia is pretty dang cheap wonder if there is a system to mill out a set up bridge of zirconia to process to. It wouldn't need margins, I know its a heavy material, but the maxilla generally has good retention. Anyone know anything going on in this direction.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Had a case for a buddy, It was a denture opposing a lower zir 1st molar to 1st molar implant bridge. I know no denture can long term stand up to the battering ram. Zirconia is pretty dang cheap wonder if there is a system to mill out a set up bridge of zirconia to process to. It wouldn't need margins, I know its a heavy material, but the maxilla generally has good retention. Anyone know anything going on in this direction.
You could design in CAD as pontic and make diatorics or holes all the way through for mechanical retention. A full arch of Zr teeth in a denture is going to be heavy.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You could design in CAD as pontic and make diatorics or holes all the way through for mechanical retention. A full arch of Zr teeth in a denture is going to be heavy.
It will be very heavy especially if the teeth are large, but you wouldn't need it crazy thick, or thick connectors. Just trying to figure out what would have to be done to make a case like this work long term.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if youve got to bond the teeth, maybe would be easier to bond the zr to a bar of PEEK and bond the PEEK to the pink acrylic. this way you'd only need to make it like copings over abutments, and you could even use the same software with no need for new libraries and wild things.

just scan the peek bar and go.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Just mill the posteriors. Anteriors should be fine. That would save some weight. You can also mill out the ridge lap in the posteriors to save more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Most of the time when they are doing this type of situation (zirconia opposing denture teeth) they are trying to gain some cushion for the occlusion, especially for a new implant patient.

Zirconia opposing zirconia is pretty hard, especially when the patient has no sense of how hard they are biting. And if the occlusion is not perfect, it only makes things worse. At least an acrylic denture opposing it has some give.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Most of the time when they are doing this type of situation (zirconia opposing denture teeth) they are trying to gain some cushion for the occlusion, especially for a new implant patient.

Zirconia opposing zirconia is pretty hard, especially when the patient has no sense of how hard they are biting. And if the occlusion is not perfect, it only makes things worse. At least an acrylic denture opposing it has some give.

That's pretty sound reasoning, this guy is just blowing through the material though 3 dentures have been made for this guy.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
That's pretty sound reasoning, this guy is just blowing through the material though 3 dentures have been made for this guy.

Wow! Has it been from broken teeth, or is it the denture base that has been breaking? If it is teeth, I would consider using a softer tooth, that would wear, instead of break: for example, BlueLine instead of Phonares II.

Also, not to sound critical, but has the same bite/CO registration been used for all three? If I had a patient that kept destroying dentures like this I would consider that something in the Centric Records was probably off.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Wow! Has it been from broken teeth, or is it the denture base that has been breaking? If it is teeth, I would consider using a softer tooth, that would wear, instead of break: for example, BlueLine instead of Phonares II.

Also, not to sound critical, but has the same bite/CO registration been used for all three? If I had a patient that kept destroying dentures like this I would consider that something in the Centric Records was probably off.
Its a buddys case not sure. He sent it to me to ivobase process. Put a grid strengthener blasted and primed with SR link. Used loop diatorics like it was a flexible and soaked the teeth in monomer for 10min right before injecting. They deliver today. I told him to keep my posted.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score

Booth tooth pop off and denture fractures happened.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
if youve got to bond the teeth, maybe would be easier to bond the zr to a bar of PEEK and bond the PEEK to the pink acrylic. this way you'd only need to make it like copings over abutments, and you could even use the same software with no need for new libraries and wild things.

just scan the peek bar and go.
Peek is an interesting idea, not very familiar with the process. I would think with peek I could just skip the Zirconia and mill the teeth out of PEEK. Hear that stuff is very durable and decently aesthetic.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
fig29.jpg

photos property of Juvora. https://juvoradental.com/~/media/im...hash=593A6B90102DFAB799C859493BD589EA21D7D4A1

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
How does PEEK work? I know its milled or injected like Emax? Is it accepting of acrylic without primer? Would regular denture teeth be viable or only the ceramic/zirconia restorations. I have seen this material before, but my interest is currently PEEKed.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Try composite teeth may help with high impact acrylic.
No matter what you do the patient obviously has little proprioception and is gnashing like a crocodile.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I think this is just the norm opposing zirconia with patients that have no proprioception unfortunately.
He will blast teeth apart and off or wear through them depending on the type of teeth at Patrick mentioned
even when doing upper and lower all on 4 with acrylic teeth having one sacrificial arch with softer teeth is not a bad idea.
Hopefully the ivobase and treatment helps!
Let us know.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
I have found that this slows the wear down with on full arch cases opposing natural dentition, or ceramics.
IMG_2286.jpg

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ya, I know there isn't a whole lot I can do. Just doing my best to give him something that isn't useless to him.