Ya gotta have both!!

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Has anyone ever read a study that supports the rationale that a person who wears Max and Mand dentures should not replace only their lower denture?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
One at a time or together?

I would make the lower first and then make the mx after.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Both together. I can logically explain to a patient the reasons but not to an insurance company. They want a published paper.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Both together. I can logically explain to a patient the reasons but not to an insurance company. They want a published paper.
I searched last night and the only thing I could find was propaganda for Swissedent technique and teeth. No peer reviewed studies.

Logic and insurance company= oxymoron

Last edited:
denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I have replaced a lower denture at a nursing home...I always inscribe them with the patients initial for nursing homes.....The patient called and had mismatching sets....Newer upper with an older lower.....You will only ever be able to achieve centric and perhaps mimic working and balancing...But it can be done provided the teeth are not worn down too much....I am going to suggest you spend as little time on these as possible and use an average value articulator with an arbitrary mount. ....Working with Insurance companies can be a pain because as you know they only insure the minimum treatments. So anything short of taking a photo of the existing denture and demonstrating that it is not functional will leave you replacing only the missing denture. Sometimes it is better to provide a cheap alternative or temporary denture until the normal five year replacement cycle comes in force.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
I think its a case by case scenario... replacing only one arch might be suitable if the opposing arch is set ideally and isn't too worn. Sometimes finances doesn't allow a patient to get both new upper and lower, so we just have to make the most of the conditions that we have to work with. In a perfect world I think by replacing both upper and lower we can get better or improved balance and function and improve on any potential problems that the existing dentures may cause. Sadly insurance companies don't see much logic when it comes to doing what is best for the patient... sometimes just gotta make the best of the cards you have to play with.

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
An Insurance company making you actually justify this? Someone over there needs a "common sense punch" in the brain.

Top Bottom