Reaction score
adl.dropbox.com_u_2586482_David_Teeth_201.png

More to come later popcorn
adl.dropbox.com_u_2586482_David_Teeth_201.png

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Apologies for the overly long dramatic pause. I thought I was going to have more time to post. What I've been up to, is building a structured light scanner. I've been doing this in parallel with another user from DLN. Last night, I acutally got some results approaching dental specs. Still a slight distance from clinically acceptable detail/accuracy/noise, but it's definitely doable. Anyone want to guess the total coast of equipment and software needed to achieve the following scan?

adl.dropbox.com_u_2586482_David_better_20results.png
adl.dropbox.com_u_2586482_David_better_20results.png

doug

doug

Reaction score
Did you use your son's Xbox Kinect for these? I'm serious, for $179.00 a stereo scanner that probably does a helluva lot more than anyone expects

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I got a 3D scanner from Wal-Mart! LOL

Just kidding....but one day?

Patrick...that is the gel scanning, or just striped-light scan?

Looks cool, but is it dimentionally correct? How do you calibrate your set-up??

Is that actually to scale? 1mm = 1mm?

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
@Goldrunner I will reserve revealing the cost until a few more guesses are in :) But you are the closest so far.

@doug
Nope, not a Kinect and certainly not my son's unless I have some children I don't know about :baby:. The Kinect is pretty much a larger CEREC redcam since it uses a structured light infrared pattern.

@scott

No gel, just plain ole structured light

To scale yes, but zoomed in on my screen

Acuracy...too soon to tell but it looks pretty (again, accuracy vs detail)

Calibration: I calibrate using a printed pattern on a 90 degree corner with known geometry. My test scans of my "calibration corner" show no visibe distortion, but I'm sure at the edges of the scan where the projector and camera focus breaksdown, there is the potential for aberations. For this scan I spent a great deal of time ensureing that the entire occlusal surface was both in focus for the projector and in focus for the camera BEFORE i calibrated so that my setup was tuned to my subject.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
I got a 3D scanner from Wal-Mart!

Projector came from Target...so did the metal bookshelf that I set it up on coincidentally. I've had that since high school so I will need to correct for inflation I guess.

Last edited:
Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
$500? I guess it is hard to estimate without knowing more about the components. When you say you got the projector from Target are you talking about a LCD projector? Are you using a 3D webcam? I have seen these online, but I don't know how well they work on macro shots

Minoru 3-D Webcam

Tell us more.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Ok, my estimated cost is

$300 projector (now its on sale for $269)
$30 for webcam off of ebay (a nice webcam)
$20 for projector cable

$30 for bookshelf but I had it already
$428 (320 Euro) for David Laser scanner Software

Total: $810 if you started from scratch and buy the full version of the software.

The software lets you do everything but save with the free version so I've just been using the trial version to test things out.

Here is a Link to where I have documented more thoroughly my setup on the forum dedicated to this scanning software. Just look at the pictures since the thread is probably more detail oriented than necessary.

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3773

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Ok, my estimated cost is

$300 projector (now its on sale for $269)
$30 for webcam off of ebay (a nice webcam)
$20 for projector cable

$30 for bookshelf but I had it already
$428 (320 Euro) for David Laser scanner Software

Total: $810 if you started from scratch and buy the full version of the software.

The software lets you do everything but save with the free version so I've just been using the trial version to test things out.

Here is a Link to where I have documented more thoroughly my setup on the forum dedicated to this scanning software. Just look at the pictures since the thread is probably more detail oriented than necessary.

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3773

I found the David Scanner software a couple of years ago and played around with it. I printed off the page with the dots and bought a laser pointer. Even got it to scan a little. Really cool. I think it would work best with a green laser pointer. It can take up way too many hours of your time BTW:)