What is your Opinion on Roland DWX-51d

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
well emax is soft so idk what happened there.

but really, you can't go wrong buying literally anything for zirconia wax and plastic. that manufacturing is so easy on the machine you can probably build your own, using 4 stepper motors and some duct tape and come out with a fine product.

robustness of a machine comes with its ability to produce at maximum power. not minimum power.

what is my opinion of a 51d? i can't care. same trite bs dumbed down mill as vhf and imes.

i'm not trying to downplay the gravitas of the thread; by all means it is of course worth as much as a new car and you should want to do great things with your machine and not run into difficulties. but that does not mean anything in the grand scheme; you will have to buy a new machine when you grow, a new machine when you expect to do some new material like PEKK or PEEK, and a new machine when the old one breaks down as it inevitably will. its not bulletproof.

so do you want to run the crap our of a 23k$ mill and make a bunch of money in zirconia, or do you want to spend 5x that amount and get a machine that should last you 5x as long, and be already equipped to cut these new things, and ones that have yet to be released ?

its a financial decision as much as it is a practical decision. but ive long maintained that buying a cheap mill"to get started" is not worth it. far better to buy a stronger more durable machine and grow to your hearts content.

did you know you can buy a 5 axis haas with 10 horsepower for as little as 45k USD brand new fresh from the factory? add the necessary ancillary products like extra M codes and a coolant tank and for as little as 74k you've got a competitor to imes's 650 offering which im not convinced is worth the 250k pricetag.

mind you, getting cam support will not be easy. worth it to hire an actual machinist instead of d1ck around trying to get a dental tech to cut your parts.

so 74k x2 lol

its overkill for zirconia. but again that sh1t's simple man. if you can't do it blindfolded after 2 months, with no errors, i gotta question how much you know about what you are really doing.

its so easy that you can stagnate as a human being sitting there pressing Go and not using the organ between your ears. so i resent zirconia and all the support it has gotten in dental. thats why i talk so much trash about it.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
650 i 250 k in which world not even half. for that money you get a mikron 200

Last edited:
Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Sorry, I just can't remain silent here.

"...the cost of ownership Roland vs all others is LESS..."
Really? Quite a bold statement and one that is absolutely NOT true!

I love this debate. Its a great topic for all CAD CAM users.

So, dig in. Whats the 5-year cost of ownership on one of your machines?

Maybe Jesse can do the same for the milling machine he sells. Let's compare all three.

Better yet if anyone on this forum has a large format mill and also a Roland they can speak directly to the topic.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
had a 51d for 2+ years now. works like a champ....my best employee! haha!
actually had more issues with the vac unit than the 51d.
thats not to say there arent other options, im not hating on the versamill or any other machinery on the market. just saying it like it is. ZERO spindle or other issues here. well over 2000 hours now. and it does 99.99% of what i want it to do on a daily basis without a hiccup. i have a few very very minor design complaints that ive noted before....but all in all, the 51d is a solid tabletop mill and has already paid for itself many times over. i am certain the versamill would have done the same had i pulled the trigger on that instead.
sheesh peeps.:rolleyes:

D

Dwight Blair

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
would like to know what is your opinion on the Roland DWX-51 in comparison with a DWX-50. All input will be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello kakismitchell, what are you currently looking for in a CAD/CAM milling option?

Top Bottom