What is the strongest method for bonding Zirc in the mouth ?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Had a Doc call me . He has a case where the preps were very small / short with fairly long teeth . He has used Fuji Cem to bond in the mouth . But a year later they are coming off . Anyone have any ideas of a good material to really glue these suckers in ? ,,,,,,,,,, many thanks in advance for any answers .

user name

user name

Reaction score
If preps are compromised...short, tapered, I use a very small bur in the green state and cut horizontal retention grooves for the cement to grab. Dr needs to use Ivoclean.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
If preps are compromised...short, tapered, I use a very small bur in the green state and cut horizontal retention grooves for the cement to grab. Dr needs to use Ivoclean.
Thanks , I talked to some other Docs and they like Ivoclean too followed by a 'silane coupler ' ( :D no idea how to spell that )

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Silane will not work on zirconia, use something else for a chemical coupler. We are using Bisco Universal Bond on Zr with good results.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Thanks , I talked to some other Docs and they like Ivoclean too followed by a 'silane coupler ' ( :D no idea how to spell that )

Silane, really wont help with Zr02, as silane bonds to glass. You need a bonding agent with MDP (10-Methacryloyloxydecyl dihydrogen phosphate) in it. MDP will bond to zirconia. Is it going to be the same bond as you get with silane to glass, NO, but it will help. Our product containing MDP would be Monobond Plus. This contains a silane, MDP and a sulphide methacrylate (for metal).

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
One of my Docs likes C&B metabond by Parkell ,,,,,,anyone have success with that on Zirc ?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Silane will not work on zirconia, use something else for a chemical coupler. We are using Bisco Universal Bond on Zr with good results.
Thanks for that info , I will pass that along to them .

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I hear good things about Ivoclean, like if a crown has to be bisected, it still sticks to the tooth.. Ive heard of another product on FB that is a lithium discillicate ( I think) spray that you fire on the intaglio of the crown, the idea being that you can etch it. I dont think I would ever spray porcelain on the inside of a crown though.

Some Drs insist on this:
Z-Prime_Plus_Bottle_2ml_btl.jpg

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
a lithium discillicate ( I think) spray
Now, that sounds interesting. What I have done, on Marylands, is applying a thin layer of porcelain to the intaglio surface. Which then is etched.

Edit: I design a 'place holder' or virtually block out the die for the thin porcelain layer

Last edited:
McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I hear good things about Ivoclean, like if a crown has to be bisected, it still sticks to the tooth.. Ive heard of another product on FB that is a lithium discillicate ( I think) spray that you fire on the intaglio of the crown, the idea being that you can etch it. I dont think I would ever spray porcelain on the inside of a crown though.

Some Drs insist on this:
Z-Prime_Plus_Bottle_2ml_btl.jpg
That's what we use...I wonder if using Ivoclean before this would create the ultimate combo?

Edit: I suppose there is no proteins/phosphates on the intaglio surface in the lab right? So Ivoclean would be pointless from a lab perspective?

Last edited:
McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Ivoclean only cleans all phophates from the surface of the crown. this way the MDP can actually have a place to bond.

Here is a link to a video that explains the concept behind Ivoclean:

http://www.ivoclarvivadent.com/en/video#flash_box_43758

You still need to use a bonding agent (Monobond+) to get the MDP.
If you use a coupling agent like silane or MDP in the lab prior to sending to clinic, does the Dr have to "do" anything after try-in? I had a Dr tell me that when silanating the emax crown prior, it "protects from contamination" as the "chemistry" has already happened and he just need to water spray the crown after try-in

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Etch the intaglio with Zircose-E etch. Will give you about 25% better bonding. It is the only zirconia etch on the market. Highly dangerous to use, take all the appropriate precautions. Well ventilated fume hood, rubber gloves, goggles, lab coat etc. Been using it for about a year now, amazing results.

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If you use a coupling agent like silane or MDP in the lab prior to sending to clinic, does the Dr have to "do" anything after try-in? I had a Dr tell me that when silanating the emax crown prior, it "protects from contamination" as the "chemistry" has already happened and he just need to water spray the crown after try-in
Just have them clean it with isopropyl alcohol and dry it with an air syringe.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Zircose-E Ingredients

Attachments

• Acids.pdf
    478.7 KB · Views: 25
cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
you can etch with the devil himself more than 40 % HF acid or add some etchable glass matrix but that **** work.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Are there any SEM images that show what etched zirconia looks like? how can you know if its etching? how do you know its not damaging the zirconia structure?

Last edited: