What is the strongest method for bonding Zirc in the mouth ?

doug

doug

Reaction score
If you use a coupling agent like silane or MDP in the lab prior to sending to clinic, does the Dr have to "do" anything after try-in? I had a Dr tell me that when silanating the emax crown prior, it "protects from contamination" as the "chemistry" has already happened and he just need to water spray the crown after try-in

It has been my understanding for years that Silane should only be applied after the try-in and cleaning of the restoration. I used to etch and silanate veneers before they were sent out and found out that the silane was supposed to be applied about a minute prior to applying cement. It also explained why some veneers popped off with no cement on them.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I think it can also depend on if it's 1 or 2 part silane. The 2 part will protect the surface pre try in with a alcohol clean up after try in.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I think it can also depend on if it's 1 or 2 part silane. The 2 part will protect the surface pre try in with a alcohol clean up after try in.
Hi Car, I use Bisco's 2 part Silane and actually contacted them about pre silinating in the lab. They said it would be even better. Also, after tryin, just clean with alcohol like 2th said or acetone also.

If Ivoclean is used, you need to re apply silane and also same for ZirPrime+

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
It has been my understanding for years that Silane should only be applied after the try-in and cleaning of the restoration. I used to etch and silanate veneers before they were sent out and found out that the silane was supposed to be applied about a minute prior to applying cement. It also explained why some veneers popped off with no cement on them.

Our recommendations with Monobond+ is to apply after try-in, just prior (15 minute window) to cementation. If already etched, use Ivoclean to remove the phospho-lipoids, if not etched, etch (this will remove all phospho-lipoids),rinse, dry and apply Monobond+ (again 15 minute window for cementation).

G

grantoz

Reaction score
dont use phosphoric acid on zi after try in as it blocks the ability for anything to bond to it quote from nassir bahgi if thats how his name is spelt. i recommend z prime to all my clients

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused...and to recap
-Zprime - does this etch zirconia?...or it just helps in bonding
-Monobond Plus - same questions, does it etch zirconia, or just help?
-Zircose E - will etch, but very acidic?

Also, what about thoughts of using very thin glaze on the intaglio of surface?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
No etching. Just a molecular bond to zirconia that leaves a structure engineered to 'bond' with most adhesives.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Zircon could be only etched with HF more than 40 percent concentration thats what a material science from a big manufacturer told me .

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I'm a little confused...and to recap
-Monobond Plus - same questions, does it etch zirconia, or just help?
-Zircose E - will etch, but very acidic?

Also, what about thoughts of using very thin glaze on the intaglio of surface?
Monobond+ is a bonding agent, no etch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Absolutley correct! The phosphates in the acid bind with the same molecules that the bonding agents want to grab a hold of.
dont use phosphoric acid on zi after try in as it blocks the ability for anything to bond to it quote from nassir bahgi if thats how his name is spelt. i recommend z prime to all my clients

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Had a Doc call me . He has a case where the preps were very small / short with fairly long teeth . He has used Fuji Cem to bond in the mouth . But a year later they are coming off . Anyone have any ideas of a good material to really glue these suckers in ? ,,,,,,,,,, many thanks in advance for any answers .

Read the IFU on the Zr manufacturer and see what they suggest. That info will be there.