Wax techs.. how much? how fast?

J

Jeremiah76

Reaction score
I would like to see what labs are paying vs. what they are requiring of wax techs
Would you hire a tech that could not wax 10 crowns a day for $17/hr or even $10/hr, or hire them at all?
what would you require a tech to wax by the hour?
what would you pay a decent wax tech?
Is 3 units an hour too much to ask?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
20min a full contour emax is good. a coping sprued 5 min 7 min tops. again digital has killed the wage for this part of the lab

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
In a related question - what would you pay the guy that affixes the handles to the buggy whips?

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
In a related question - what would you pay the guy that affixes the handles to the buggy whips?
In some respects, sad to say , very but true. Good analogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

J

Jeremiah76

Reaction score
what about a lab that specializes in smile design with cases that are often 12-20 units with little to no prep???
How many quality driven cad cam design techs do you know that can bang out smile design cases???
Few and far between.

J

Jeremiah76

Reaction score
Do you want quality or quantity?
Speed or precision?
Hookers or prostitutes?
Whores or sluts?
:D
nice comment, I was not asking the peanut gallery. the answer would be speed and precision there is a fine line at which both can be PROVIDED

J

Jeremiah76

Reaction score
I would agree with this analogy if we were in the sort of industry that put the needed effort into training technicians in the technology we have rather than having a few half wit chinese guys, who roll over every chinese new year, and know nothing about dental technology only how to maneuver shapes in a program and do a poor job at that.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
for the record, I have no part in where this thread is about to go....:cool:

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
nice comment, I was not asking the peanut gallery. the answer would be speed and precision there is a fine line at which both can be PROVIDED
If you want fast and good it's not going to be cheap, If you want good and cheap it's not going to be fast, if you want fast and cheap it's not going to be good.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
When I did quite a bit of waxing I could wax between 40 and 50 units a day, that was a mixture of everything. Single PFM's, bridges and full contour stuff to be pressed in e.max or cast in gold. That was working at a normal pace. I usually didn't have to do the investing.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I would agree with this analogy if we were in the sort of industry that put the needed effort into training technicians in the technology we have rather than having a few half wit chinese guys, who roll over every chinese new year, and know nothing about dental technology only how to maneuver shapes in a program and do a poor job at that.
I can't even begin to imply that I understand what you're trying to say here...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what about a lab that specializes in smile design with cases that are often 12-20 units with little to no prep???
How many quality driven cad cam design techs do you know that can bang out smile design cases???
Few and far between.
in what way would Virtual waxing hinder or be worth taking a backseat when doing these kinds of cases? this is what cadcam was precisely designed to do. give you a pattern and let you get from start to finish with less time and effort spent.

theres a sponsor here that maybe you should see some of their case photos.

http://www.dentalcadstudio.com/ all they do is case design. they manufacture exactly nothing. it is highly consistent work. "Consistency" is the name of the game with CADCAM. maybe their style isnt quite what you were looking for, but then consider the fact that in doing business with an outsourcing partner such as these people or nearly any other, you are asking them to do the legwork, so an overly critical eye really doesnt help anyone.